Lightweight bone saw.

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
A silky pocket boy is small and lightweight. I’ve cut bone with it before including skull capping a whitetail. It’s not ideal for that, but will get the job done. They have by far the best pocket saw blades I’ve used, cuts through wood better then my wicked.

If buying it solely for bone cutting I would probably get one with the fine tooth blade.

prm

WKR
Cutting the skull cap on an elk is a lot of work! The Wyoming saw with bone blade works, but I wouldn’t want any less.

Works great for cutting branches for the Ti stove too.

bigdub257

Lil-Rokslider
Havalon saw blades. Worked great last year on an elk. I was pleasantly surprised.

bigdub257

Lil-Rokslider
I believe they have them for either the Baracuta or the Piranta. I use the one in the Baracuta.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Years ago I used a Gerber exchange a blade saw. Complete junk handle and blade release mechanism but an excellent bone blade. I rigged it into being permanently open with just the bone blade. Pretty solid piece for awhile until the plastic handle cracked. Although extremely light it was like packing a boomerang since it no longer folded.

After that I just put a Wyoming bone blade on my hacksaw handle. Doesn’t have the depth of the Wyoming handle but works great considering the blade was only $5.

Tartan

WKR
A silky pocket boy is small and lightweight. I’ve cut bone with it before including skull capping a whitetail. It’s not ideal for that, but will get the job done. They have by far the best pocket saw blades I’ve used, cuts through wood better then my wicked.

If buying it solely for bone cutting I would probably get one with the fine tooth blade.

Second this. I’ll be carrying one this fall primarily for stove wood, but wouldn’t hesitate to use it to skull cap if needed.

i carry a sawzall blade the demolition blade i believe it’s called with two layers of duct tape over it. use the tape as a handle when i pull it apart. works for stove wood and bone just fine.

Dang! I really like this idea. I only carry a saw to cap the skull as I bone out the rest, This might find it's way into my pack this fall.
I carry one shed hunting and it works pretty darn well.
Wyoming saw works better.
But for how much light it is it definitely works.

mcseal2

WKR
I don't usually carry one in the lower 48 except in the vehicle. I was sure glad to have the bigger size Wyoming saw when I got my moose in AK though. He fell in some dense brush and we used the saw to clear the kill site, cut a path out of it, and on the ribs, legs, and neck. It worked very well. It weighs about 25oz with both blades and a couple spares though. Not terrible but certainly not light either.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

I have the little Silky too- it cuts wood like no other small saw; I carry a spare fine/bone blade with it (weighs less than an ounce) if I have need to cut bone