Lightweight bone saw.

;"wood zig" saw - I've watched tree fallers climb a 90' fir tree and limb it to the ground with only a "zig"

Cwfa

FNG
Not sure why would wouldn’t do the gutless method ? I haven’t carried a saw for years. I can break down any big game animal in Colorado with just my Havalon.

Jimss

WKR
I haven't hauled a saw for around 25 years...and harvested gobs of elk, deer, sheep, goat, moose, etc! Use the boneless method! I do European mounts with most of my critters so don't need a saw for cutting the skull. The only time I've ever used a saw was in Alaska for moose where the ribs and rib meat must be saved. We've actually used a cordless sawsall to cut through the ribs....when rafting.

jmez

WKR
Cable saws are very effective, however they are a single use item. One cut and your done.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Tmac

WKR
What is the point of splitting the pelvis? I've heard of guys doing it but never understood why.
I do it on very hot hunts where I want to gut the animal ASAP to begin cooling from the inside. Typically Pronghorn or early Cow hunts which are both in season in August here. We’re usually not very remote, I carry a small Gerber saw, so splitting the pelvis, often cutting it out on both sides, is a choice I often make to eliminate any chance of a fecal contamination from pulling the anus through or ripping the large intestine. Otherwise I’d go gutless and not worry about the pelvis.

mrgreen

WKR
End up fitting the tyto?
Heck, I thought I posted this a while back. Yes the Havalon Piranta blades fit perfectly on my Tyto. (I'm hoping to test this system in Sept.).

Also, like Tmac posted above, early season when it's hot I like to split the pelvis to make field dressing quick while reducing the chance of contamination.

This is for Whitetails that will be dragged to the truck.

treillw

WKR
Havalon Baracuta - Swap knife blades and saw blades. Not the best saw that I have ever used, but it is light weight.

I like the bigger blades that this model has a lot more than the smaller blade models. I used my baracuta for a few elk and then used whatever small blade model knife that I have for an elk and I think I broke 4 of the smaller blades on that one animal. Learned pretty quick that the small blades can't handle any torsion. I never had a big blade break on me and I've cranked on them pretty good.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you could find a 12” meat/bone blade pretty easily

the saw will take most 12” saw blades

slim9300

WKR
Ordered this a couple weeks ago...should get it soon...pretty excited to never pack out another elk head again

I hear that. If I didn’t euro mount all my elk these days I would do the same. They are awkward and heavy bastards to pack out. Let us know what you think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkangle

WKR
I hear that. If I didn’t euro mount all my elk these days I would do the same. They are awkward and heavy bastards to pack out. Let us know what you think about it.

How many euros does one guy need ! Im not far from just sheding bulls out lol

But will do 👍

slim9300

WKR
How many euros does one guy need ! Im not far from just sheding bulls out lol

But will do

You sound like my damn wife! Stop it! Someday I’m going to have a bigger house with a shop. At least that’s what I keep saying. In the meantime don’t open my office closet. I would definitely give away a bunch of my bucks before I would give away a bull.

Elkangle

WKR
1st trip down with the suluk saw...I forgot to swap out the wood blade for a bone blade but was still able to hack up a couple caribou... abused the heck out of it beings it had that wood blade on there and pretty much used it like a hatchet on the ribs but she held strong !! For the weight it's hard to complain...

Was able to split the skulls easily even with the wood blade

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw