Lightweight boots - La Sportiva?

FNG
Hey everyone- I have some Scarpa Kinesis Pro’s which I actually really enjoy. Durable, stiff, heavy-duty boots that work very well (after MANY hours breaking them in) with a heavy load.

I’d like to get something significantly lighter since these come in over 4lbs for the pair. I’ve tried the Salomon Ultra 3s and hated them. Looking at the Sportiva Stream and Pyramids but haven’t been able to find any real life experiences with them. Has anyone given either of these a try in the field?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOWA Renegades …. if they fit you (like any boot for any one) I've walked through, I think, 5 pairs now with a new pair sitting in the closet awaiting insoles as I write

Braaap

WKR
If you like Scarpa boots check out the Zodiac Plus GTX. I bought some this spring and so far they've been fantastic. I have a pair of Scarpa Fuegos that are great boots but heavy. The Zodiac has a stiff sole but it's still lightweight. Helped a buddy pack out a bull Monday and they did great.

Maybe you know something I don't, but I just know every La Sportiva boot I've picked up off the wall to get my hands on were heaaaaavey.

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive run Sportivas for a long time, Im currently using and liking the Trango TRK GTXs as my "heavy boots" but they are still only ~20oz. I step down to a trail runner from these. They've been good boots, I think Im on year 3 with them.

The stream GTX looks interesting. Let me know if you go that way.

tdot

WKR
+1 on the Scarpa Zodiac Plus. I'm also really enjoying a model that looks similar but I think is one level down.

OP

FNG
Ordered the La Sportiva Pyramid's and have taken them out a few times in the Georgia mountains. Honestly, pretty sweet boots. Semi-stiff, lightweight, good traction... all around good boots. Not sure why they don't get any love. Hope this helps someone down the road!

TBHasler

WKR
Ive run Sportivas for a long time, Im currently using and liking the Trango TRK GTXs as my "heavy boots" but they are still only ~20oz. I step down to a trail runner from these. They've been good boots, I think Im on year 3 with them.

The stream GTX looks interesting. Let me know if you go that way.

This...I've got some Trango's and they are my go to lighter weight boot. Going on yr 2, in pretty good shape and I've punished them

Dennyd

FNG
I’m a boot guy, and found that any good boot comes weight. Asolo gtx are my go too, but salewa mountain trainer are not bad in weight. Both have shanks built in very little break in process.

tdot

WKR
For the guys running Trango TRK GTX's how has the durability been? The guys at the local mountaineering shop steered me away from them cuz of that concern in rock and shale

For the guys running Trango TRK GTX's how has the durability been? The guys at the local mountaineering shop steered me away from them cuz of that concern in rock and shale

Trango TRK GTX's are my go to for work and hiking, I wear them 6 days a week. A pair will last me about 8 months, then I switch to Kenatreks for the winter months.

They fit my feet great, and I have sensitive feet when it comes to boot fitment. They are worth the money for me. You can usually find them on sale, I bought 3 pairs this summer for like $165 each.

WRO

WKR
I like the cube gtx much better than the standard trango..

Just my 02..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a pair of leather LaSportiva Omega's- great boot, but discontinued :( I ordered a pair of TRK's (super good price on STP!) and while I prefer the leather, these are going to be just fine. I've had mine through all kinds of talus/scree without any issues whatsoever- they're light too (for a boot anyways :))

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I owned a pair of cube gtx's, purchased from backcountry. They were used on one AZ trip, less than 100 miles, and the sole around the toe wore all the way into the footed. This gave no uphill traction by the end of the trip. The uppers looked mint, but the sole had no life.

Contacted backcountry, questioning a possible bad batch of rubber. I sent them pics, they gave me the green light to return and a full refund. Great customer service!

The cash was invested into arcteryx bora 2's, and they're holding up much better.

mtnkid85

WKR
Thought Id update this thread. I picked up the Sportiva Streams and have put a few miles on them now.

They are a very soft and light "boot", really Id compare them more to a hightop shoe than a boot. They have a real similar flex and feel to my Wildcat GTXs and are way softer than my wore out TRK GTXs.
I would have liked to have had another lace hook on the upper portion of boot to help lock the heel down more. The fit is the same low volume fit as all my other sportiva trail shoes so break in was a non issue. They also have a familiar sole offering great traction and sticky rubber that does well in soft wet terrain as well as dry rock. Waterproofing has been good on the few light rain days Ive had them out in.

So if your looking for something just a notch above a trail runner Id say this is your shoe. I certainly wouldn't rely on this boot for your heavyweight option though.

Ill let you guys know how it goes in the longterm reliability department.

James

FNG
Ive ran the Scarpa Kinesis Pro for a few years and i just picked up a pair of Scarpa Ribelle HD. Really similar feeling boot but around 200 grams lighter per boot. Im just in the initial phase of breaking them in but so far they have been great. If you do order a set i ended up with a whole euro size bigger in the Ribelle HD's.