Lightweight Bow

I’m beginning the process of upgrading my bow. How much importance do you put on your bow weight? Currently shooting a Matthews Triax. Considering a carbon fiber bow. Is there any such thing as too light like when gun hunting?

4dcfries

FNG
I moved from Hoyt's carbon bows to PSE and it has been amazing. 3.2 pounds without sights n such and with the 90 percent let off I can hold on elk for an eternity. Still putting serious speed on the arrow and I double lunged a antelope at 87 yards, this thing is a dream. Told my bow guy (Brian Schupbach) he screwed up selling me this bow (PSE Carbon Stealth) cause it will be a long time before I buy another.

Red7006

FNG
You dont lose much performance in a carbon bow. You get a little more hand shock with the lighter bow, but not really enough to be noticeable. It all depends on what feels comfortable to you. If you're just walking to a treestand and hanging the bow on a hook, is it really worth the price for a carbon? However if you do a lot of backpacking or spot and stalk, they're worth they're weight in gold. If you have a local archery shop, go shoot a few and see what fits you best. Good luck

OP
P
Thanks for the replies. I have shot a older model Hoyt carbon spyder. I love how my Matthews shoots but last year I kept wishing I had a lighter bow when backpacking in Idaho. A pound in half doesn’t feel bad on the pack but after a day in the had it feels more like 50

OP
P
I was looking at the pse. I’ll have to go shoot one. I have a super short draw length so the local shops often don’t have one on the rack that I can shoot decent

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
I havent elk hunted, but have spent plenty of time on the grasslands chasing Mule Deer & Pronghorn. For me, i shoot better with a little heavier bow so i am willing to put up with the weight. If you can get an accurate bow for you, at the weight you like, I don't foresee any disadvantages.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I was in your situation last year, had a Halon 5 that I love, but wanted to cut weight because I’m usually solo and packing camp in. Picked up an RX-3 and glad I did. It’s not as smooth as the Mathews, but shoots great and the weight savings makes up for it. Don’t get me wrong, all things being equal, a heavier bow shoots a little better as far as user experience, but the RX3 is nice to shoot as well, just as accurate, and the weight savings is nice on day 6-7 of carrying it in the mountains.

WCB

WKR
I went the carbon bow route for weight saving chasing Pronghorn and Mule Deer around...I just never shot it as good as heavier bows especially at longer distances 60-90yds. I added weight to it and my shooting improved.

Went back to a heavier and probably more importantly long axle to axle and will never think of going to a light bow again. I hardly ever have my bow actually in hand I use a bow sling unless I am actively stalking something or just walking to my stand for Whitetails.

I switched from a Defiant turbo to a RX-1 Turbo and there is definitely a difference, not huge but its a different. However if you want a LIGHT bow, the Bowtech Carbon Icon - 3.2 pounds, and wont break the bank. Easy to hold back, only nock is its 335 IBO.

I had the Diamond version of this (sb1). I actually like a little more heft than that but last year hiking around Montana I wished I had it.

Slightly surprised that everyone is in favor of a lighter bow but I guess it's the Lightweight Zone.

I go as light as I can in every area but I won't sacrifice weight for my weapon or glass. I guess if you're shooting 20-40 yards that's great. You'll shoot fine with a 3.2lb bow with a 6" or no stabilizer at all. When you start moving into the 60-90 yard area (same with a rifle 500-800yds) I just couldn't sacrifice weight as I'm sacrificing accuracy. I shoot a Mathews, have a 12"/2oz front stabilizer and a 10"/6oz rear but it works for me especially on those long-distance shots where I need to make it count.

I just wanted to toss in a different perspective on this.

OP
P
I agree. My issue is that having a pinched nerve in my neck has limited the poundage I can pull, about 60, and my short draw lengtrh means I'm not slinging arrrows past 50 yds max anyways. At least not when I'm hunting lol

Here's my thoughts on light weight bows.
1) Yes they can be nicer to pack around mile after mile, hill after hill.
2) You can also set them up to be as heavy as a normal bow aluminum bow but since you don't have all the weight in the riser, you can put the weight where you want it for a more stable bow. For example you could take the PSE carbon bow put 8oz on the stabilizer to slow your pin float down, 8oz off the back to balance that out, and then have a more stable setup over having that 1 lb of weight all in the riser.

If weight is the reason you're wanting to go to a carbon bow, Hoyt isn't worth it. There's lightweight aluminum bows out there only .1 lb heavier than their Carbon RX-4 Alpha.

KHNC

WKR
Accuracy is the number one thing to consider when giving up weight for carbon bow, or even a lighter aluminum one. It was mentioned a few posts up as well. Make sure you practice extensively with a super light bow before you decide to take it hunting in an area where longer than average shots could be the norm. Personally, i still shoot a 4.2lb aluminum bow before adding accessories. When its time to start bow hiking, i go with as light of a sight, quiver , rest and stabilizer as i can possibly get by with. However, i do not sacrifice quality, and quality accessories still weigh more than cheap stuff will. Your sight and rest are CRITICAL! Not so much in the stabilizer category, or even the quiver for that matter. Usually, IMO, saving .5lbs on a carbon bow probably isnt worth it.