Lightweight Budget Sleeping Bag

sstwrt226

FNG
Need some help. Headed to Colorado for OTC archery hunt early September and looking for some input on the best lightweight sleeping bag under $100 or under $200.

I’ve been to Colorado in September before so know what to expect as far as temperature so I’m thinking a 30 degree bag or 20. I need a a bag that’s lightweight and packs down small to fit my hunting style but I don’t want to sacrifice quality and reliability.

I know there’s a lot of options out there but I don’t have a store locally that I can check them out in person. Thanks in advance for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeftSlope

FNG
There is a pretty good thread going right now on your exact same question:

Food for thought; a down bag will still keep you warm even if it gets wet, but i understand cost restrictions. As a general rule you need to be mindful with the temp ratings for most sleep systems in that price range. You'll need to add roughly 10 degrees to the listed rating if you want to be "comfortable". Check out the link above, I hope that helps. Enjoy your hunt!

BBob

WKR
REI consistently gets good reviews for some of their REI branded bags and quilts. Close to the weight of more expensive brands but at a much better price point. Above your price point for the lighter options though.

Block

WKR
^^ if you can’t see it in person,,, order from REI... Their return policy is unbeatable... try it out and return it at the end of the season for full credit if you want..

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run a 20 degree bag I paid $40 for off amazon. I’m plenty warm down to 30 degrees, and could run it down to 20 if I had all my insulating layers on. Anything colder and I have a Kifaru 0 degree. If it’s above 30 degrees when I’m in that bag I sleep with it completely unzipped and usually a leg out. Things crazy.

Rokwiia

WKR
Food for thought; a down bag will still keep you warm even if it gets wet, but i understand cost restrictions.

Not if the down collapses. It will lose almost all of its insulating property. If you have a synthetic-filled bag, you have a better chance the fill won't collapse.

Check out Outdoor Vitals. It may be a touch over your budget but the Summit line uses the same materials as the top tier brands at half the cost. I have both a bag and a quilt from them and couldn’t be happier.

Beendare

WKR
You might find something cheap in a synthetic bag that works.....

But IME, there are no good cheap/down bags. They lose loft badly in a relatively short time.

___

I got a good deal on an Eberlestock Ultralight and it’s been awesome. It’s rated to 40degrees with a “practical push” to 10degrees. Packs down real small in its stuff sack with compression straps. It’s made with G-Loft insulation.

If you’re bringing a woobie or have some good gear you don’t mind sleeping in, it will probably work well for those temps your listed. Should be able to find it for under $200.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a blaze 20 and aura 20 from alps and I must say I like the feel and weight of both. Will update more after my trip but they were dirt cheap and only weight like 3 pounds

rj2

WKR
Marmot ultra elite is solid at under 2lbs, around 200 bucks. Goes on sale around 150 a lot

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I got the Hyke and Byke 15 degree down bag when it was on sale. I’m pretty happy with it from first impressions, but haven’t been able to test it in cold temperatures yet.

I snagged a clearance Sierra Designs Zissou bag a few years back for under $100. That was a steal. Still a great bag. Last year, I bought an ALPS down bag on clearance for $80 and my wife uses it on overnight kayak trips. It's not long enough for me, but it's a pretty good down bag for $80.

Scoot

WKR
Cat's Meow. Not a perfect bag, but will meet your needs and you can find them cheap at times.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Big Agnes boot jack 24 (new model is called boot jack 25) that has worked well for me. It packs down small and keeps me warm down to 40 degrees. I havent taken it out in colder temperatures, but I think it would be fine, especially if you wear base layers. My only complaint is it's a true mummy and it's tight on the legs.

OP
sstwrt226

sstwrt226

FNG
Really appreciate all the information I had it narrowed down to several bags from Kelty and big Agnes but i actually purchased the new boot jack 25 a few days after starting this thread got it new for a great price
I’m pretty slim so the legs may not be an issue for me since the bags rated for someone up to 6’6 and me only being 6’2 the bag should have some extra room. It’s light and compact which is exactly what I was looking for.