Lightweight climbing stick and stand options?

Grundy53

WKR
I've never used or been around tree stands but have been very interested in using them for my whitetail hunts in Idaho. This mobile style set up sounds great. How high are you guys hanging your stands?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I've got a Millennium M100U - very comfy. Big stand but light enough to carry around. Sit all day.

MIedge

FNG
I've never used or been around tree stands but have been very interested in using them for my whitetail hunts in Idaho. This mobile style set up sounds great. How high are you guys hanging your stands?

The height I set my stand at is situational. If I'm hunting a swamp or marsh, I may only be 8-10ft off the ground because A. that's as high as the trees in the area allow or B. that is as high as the cover in the trees will allow me to go. You generally do not want to stick out like a sore thumb in the tallest tree with no cover. Bucks come out of the womb looking up for stand hunters here in MI. In big woods settings or hill country, 20-25ft is where I end up as long as I have good cover in the tree.

The weapon you're using also comes into play. With a bow you generally do not want to be 30ft+ up in your stand in a lot of scenarios because you are limited with your shot angles. With a rifle/shotgun/muzzleloader this issue is a little more forgiving.

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Lone Wolf Assualt and 6 sticks to go with it. Hailing originally from Missouri, I would only run 3, maybe 4 sticks in the early season since i had cover all around. Then would definitely have 4-6 late season. Setting up and taking down is incredibly easy with the LW system and I've wrapped the exterior of my platform in moleskin to quiet it down, in addition to my sticks. As an added benefit, the moleskin will retain a bit more warmth in cold weather so your hands aren't touching aluminum directly.
Comfort is lacking if you plan to sit. As you'll hear from multiple sources 3-4 hours is about max for these stands. One thing I've started to do is to place the stand in a position to face the tree and use the tree as cover between the deer and I. While doing this, sliding my safety harness up the tree so i can "sit" into it to relieve pressure off my knees. For me, doing it this way will allow me to remain more comfortable for longer duration.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from an older summit climber to a lone wolf alpha 2 and 4 lone wolf sticks last year and was very pleased with the new set up.

Last edited:

Ben A

FNG
XOP, Lone Wolf both make good sticks and stands.

You may also want to look into tree saddles, super light weight and very comfortable.

I have tried climbers off and on since the first "Baker" climbers in the 80's (who remembers those death traps!?! :D )

I've killed a few deer from climbers, but I never liked using them. If you are in decent shape and reasonably flexible, hang-ons are where it's at. Most of the places I hunt don't have trees you can use a climber in anyway, but they do have great trees for hang-on stands. Hang-ons also allow you to get into the branches, which I found was key to not being busted. So long as I'm among the branches, my chances of not being spotted go up about 10-fold.

I've used the same little Gorilla aluminum hang-on for about 15 years now. A few years ago I added a set of LW sticks, but I can't say I'm a big fan of sticks. My preferred option for the past 15 years has been the strap-on nylon steps. I am not sure they make those anymore but boy were they convenient and easy to pack.

I'm 6'4" and wear size 14 boots and my hang-on has a pretty tiny base. It only weighs 8 lbs and I can sure appreciate that on long pack ins and even when hanging the stand. I stand most of the time anyway, so the small base works fine.

These days I hunt on the ground more just because of back problems and not wanting to leave my wife a widow or someone who has to care for a quadraplegic. I know too many guys personally who have fallen out of tree stands while hanging them or getting in and out, and I think I am going to stop while I'm ahead.

Be safe out there.

LostArra

WKR

I took a LW stand and 3 LW mini sticks with a two-step webbing aider on the bottom step to Wyoming for an elk hunt. I hung it in an aspen about 16-17' and it worked well but the elk went by just outside my recurve range. Some guys will put the aiders on every step and easily get 20' with three sticks. I like the aider only on the bottom step because I'm not as agile as the young dudes.

LostArra

WKR
Last weekend I took a stand down from one of my local spots and was slapped in the face with a safety warning when I saw this stick strap. Be safe out there. Check your gear then re-check it.

9ad766b53b90a5a792ff4d4c627b9cf7.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

tntrker

WKR
I take my AP climber out and set it up on public land, as soon as we are allowed to, which is 30 days before season. I put up climbing sticks and take the 1st two sections out when I leave. So far so good, but I know a thief with a mind to steal it will get it...