Lightweight climbing stick and stand options?

Gotten to the point where I'm sick of having to compromise what tree I am sitting in because of carrying a climber. It's legal to leave a lock on public land in Wisconsin now but there's no way I'm risking that.

Weight and smaller footprint are way more important than comfort to me. I really like the Lone Wolf complete setup but looking for other options as well, just curious what other guys are using.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

Pro953

WKR
I have a hawk helium setup which works for me. That said I do not pack it all that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
Ever considered a saddle and some 24" sticks, or a saddle and 4 wild edge steps with the knaider/swaider climbing method.

OP
wisco_archer
I have. I typically don't bring my climber seat and just hug the tree to climb unless it's an all day sit anyway so I don't mind standing. Just not sure if that's the direction I want to go yet.

I'm in love with the Lone Wolf System. I have the Assault 2 and 4 sticks, using stick talons to carry them and set them up. IMO, the Lone Wolf setup isn't always gonna be the cheapest or the absolute lightest, but it is by far the quietest, most solid, and easiest to set up. The system as a whole works fantastic together.

cbiddle

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same boat. Just bought the Lone Wolf setup and it is badass. I’ll never use a climber again.

LostArra

WKR
+1 on the Lone Wolf setup with two suggestions

1. Get one Muddy or Helium stick for the top step. Much easier to hang a stand if both of your feet have a step. I can't believe LW hasn't added that option.

2. Consider adding an "aider" with webbing at least for the bottom step. It gets you up farther with less steps to carry.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the XOP vanish and stick combination. Very similar to lone wolf. I really like the setup so far- very easy to hang and hunt . The sticks lock together so there is no rattle when hiking in. Fairly light weight also. Between the stand and 4 sticks, I’m right around 25 lbs total

Thess87

WKR
Hawk helium for me. Always keep it freed up for last minute hang and hunts. I’m sure lone wolfs are awesome to just never had the dough for it.

after using climbers for years i bought an alpha and 4 sticks this season. took a bit of practice to get used to it but i'm loving it. it's not quite as fast as a climber but i feel like its quieter and definitely opens up more trees. everyone said to buy 4 sticks but i feel like i'm fine with 3. i use an aider on the bottom stick to make up the difference and rope modded the sticks which help cut down the noise. my setup with backpack straps and bungee cords hits right at 20#. the assault will cut a little more weight down but i don't like the smaller platforms.

Be prepared to feel free after ditching that climber!!

Ive been running a good mobile setup for years and trying to make it better where i can. For the last few years ive been running a Lone Wolf Alpha and 5 Muddy Pro sticks. I dont always use all 5 but i like to have them. I put Stealth Strips on the sticks and some of the parts on the stand that could make noise. The muddy sticks are great because they use a rope with no buckle, which makes it easier to be silent when hanging them.

There are some more custom options out there as well. Adding rope aiders to get more height is popular, as well as doing rope mods on LW sticks to get rid of the buckles. The Hunting Beast is making a set of sticks that look pretty slick, but they are pretty dang expensive. If my stuff got stolen, thats probably the route id go for my next set though.

For hauling this setup around i use an older Kifaru Frame strapped to the bottom of the lone wolf. With that setup im not too concerned with my setup weighing a few extra pounds.

My personal experience is XOP over Lone Wolf simply because the seat on LW's are terrible compared to the rest of the stand. XOP's seat is much more comfortable. Both stands are light, easy to set and very well designed but all day sits in the XOP are much better for my rear end than a LW. I have not tried XOP's sticks at all, and wanted to buy a set of Hunting Beasts sticks but they were sold out. At the price they're at I'll likely keep running LW's until I have a reason to replace. Current favorite stand for being mobile is XOP with LW sticks.

This is my first year running a mobile hang on set up. I dug an old lone wolf out of my parents shed and gave it a make over. I’m using three hawk helium sticks that I’ve added versa buttons and ropes to. I would say the most import thing I’ve done is make a new linemen’s belt. I added a Ropeman 1 ascender and it is awesome. I wouldn’t climb without it now. The XOP stands have my attention too.

OP
wisco_archer
Thanks for all the input guys. Going to try and get my hands on and XOP Vanish this weekend and hopefully some sticks in time for late season. Probably the XOP sticks as well.

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
I bought several sets of 20 foot sticks off of sportsman’s guide when they were on sale. At the beginning of season I go set them up in all of my spots. Then just carry my lone wolf in and out when I hunt. Can be in the tree and set up in just a few minutes. I tried the lone wolf sticks and I just didn’t care for them.

Thanks for all the input guys. Going to try and get my hands on and XOP Vanish this weekend and hopefully some sticks in time for late season. Probably the XOP sticks as well.

I'm not sure what your foot size is but the platform on the vanish was a little too petite for me. A smaller foot might be fine with it. I'm 6'0, 170# and a 10D. I opted for a bigger platform. Just food for thought.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure what your foot size is but the platform on the vanish was a little too petite for me. A smaller foot might be fine with it. I'm 6'0, 170# and a 10D. I opted for a bigger platform. Just food for thought.

Good point. There are trade offs with weight vs. size of platform- I’m a big guy ( 6’5”, 230lb ) the platform is a little cramped but I like the compact nature for certain tree setups .

RCL

WKR
Still using a Loc On Windwalker and Muddy Pro Sticks.
Makes for a really light set up, but very small platform on the stand.

OP
wisco_archer
The small base on the Vanish doesn't worry me. I am 5'10" 170 and size 9.5 and my climber base and other lock ons are 24"x18" and those aren't an issue, even in late December and January with large boots on.