Lightweight Cook System

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
On that same note of alcohol stoves. Here is my set up. I’ve used sense 2010. Complete set up with stove, fuel, pot, lid, grab handle, lighter, wind screen, pot stand and measuring cup comes in at under 8 ounces. That a 4 ounce(I think) bottle with enough for 11-12 2 cup boils. And Ives used in high elevation, cold weather, on snow, sometimes it takes a little longer. But with the wide pot diameter, wind screen, lower heat reflector, and that little stove stand(helps insulate the cold ground) it really does a good job.
Also, its really nice how quite it is. Not for everyone, and takes a little set up. But I’m really happy with it.
Also I believe the pot was like $12 from REI. Add the handle and the measuring cup. And I built the rest. 5523854B-0222-4CF3-9934-64CB7BDEDEDA.jpegD331B846-C9B2-4A40-AA75-C3308ED0CD54.jpeg94B542A7-DF76-420D-A497-C8A1E72A4296.jpeg61FE9061-5348-40C5-9D6B-7BFCFC2D9671.jpeg219A8B0B-F808-41C8-B0F5-2B1411B969BD.jpeg

rayporter

WKR
Trioxane is a definite favorite but harder to get. esbit and similar copies are claimed to be hotter but i just dont find that. they all work except there is more soot with esbit.
all work better with a windscreen. i sure with some of the others had a burner or stove holder that held the cup

daily coffee is easy with either but less chance of a spill with solids. either is super for emergecy fire starter.
Dc4Ailx.jpg

too bad i cant get ti

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Soto Amicus stove, Soto aluminum pot. I use a gsi ultra lite java drip and gsi backpackers coffee cup. All still comes in lighter than a traditional msr/ jet boil.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Mine is pretty basic:

-pocket rocket 2
-toaks 750ml pot/cup thing
-toaks long handle spoon
-box lighter
-old chamois to wipe the pot out.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Trioxane is a definite favorite but harder to get. esbit and similar copies are claimed to be hotter but i just dont find that. they all work except there is more soot with esbit.
all work better with a windscreen. i sure with some of the others had a burner or stove holder that held the cup

daily coffee is easy with either but less chance of a spill with solids. either is super for emergecy fire starter.
Dc4Ailx.jpg

too bad i cant get ti
So you run cubes instead of a stove.

rayporter

WKR
correct

if i forget my cup holder stove i can set any cup on 3 rocks and heat a meal or coffee. there are several solid fuel stoves out there. you can put the fuel bar on the ground or on a piece of foil [ like in a deer stand] and heat away. a spam can makes a good holder for the fuel bar in an emergency and so does a any can like a vienna sausage can.
here is a light one.
the alcohol types are great too.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
High heat silicone, full of water and keep the flame from going up the sides. Takes another 30 seconds to boil but consumes less fuel than full blast so it works out. They have different sizes of pots now also
I checked them out on their website, want to sell yours lol?

ChrisAU

WKR
Used an esbit system this past elk season in CO in below freezing weather, worked great. Total cook system weight is 4.22 oz without fuel. Was able to get 2 boils out of most tablets. The pot was also my coffee cup. No issues boiling water for a meal and then boiling more water for coffee, used Folgers single serve coffee bags (like tea bags).

Toaks 550 2.95 oz:

Sea to Summit Alphalight Long Spork 0.45 oz:

Toaks Windscreen 0.4 oz:

Esbit Stove 0.42 oz:

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Do u
Used an esbit system this past elk season in CO in below freezing weather, worked great. Total cook system weight is 4.22 oz without fuel. Was able to get 2 boils out of most tablets. The pot was also my coffee cup. No issues boiling water for a meal and then boiling more water for coffee, used Folgers single serve coffee bags (like tea bags).

Toaks 550 2.95 oz:

Toaks Windscreen 0.4 oz:

Esbit Stove 0.42 oz:
yo

Toaks 550 2.95 oz:

Toaks Windscreen 0.4 oz:

Esbit Stove 0.42 oz:
Do you like the esbit system better than a gas stove setup?

ChrisAU

WKR
Do you like the esbit system better than a gas stove setup?

It saves weight and space, I don't have to worry about a stove failure, I don't have to wonder how much fuel I have left or how many boils I have left, don't have to worry about whether or not my fuel will light, and I don't have to sit in my tranquil camp with a hissing jet engine sound from a stove. It's what I'll be using for the forseeable future.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It saves weight and space, I don't have to worry about a stove failure, I don't have to wonder how much fuel I have left or how many boils I have left, don't have to worry about whether or not my fuel will light, and I don't have to sit in my tranquil camp with a hissing jet engine sound from a stove. It's what I'll be using for the forseeable future.
You still have to worry about how much fuel you have left, no different than any other stove. I love watching the YouTube videos where people are making their own fire tabs for "free" right about the time they chop up $20 worth of candles for the wax lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
You still have to worry about how much fuel you have left, no different than any other stove. I love watching the YouTube videos where people are making their own fire tabs for "free" right about the time they chop up $20 worth of candles for the wax lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I think he was referring to being able to see how much fuel he had left.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think Im going to make the switch. Im so glad I didn't buy that expensive jetboil a couple of weeks ago.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider

Toaks 550 2.95 oz:

Toaks Windscreen 0.4 oz:

Esbit Stove 0.42 oz:
I copied this off of their amazon page. Available in in 4-gram (5-minute burn time) and 5-gram (7-minute burn time) sizes (sold separately) Which size fuel tabs do you make?