Lightweight Cook System

sneaky

"DADDY"
The long boil times are extremely unappealing to me, especially when I get back to camp and want to eat and go to sleep. I haven't seen a single test done for boil times with really cold water like you deal with in late season. Every single fuel tab test I've seen they've used tap water, or they are testing in the spring or summer. I'm not waiting ten plus minutes for a pot of water to boil, longer in cold weather, then waiting on food to rehydrate. I can be finished eating in about the time the tab stoves get the water up to temp. In early season you have to be cognizant of fire restrictions in certain areas that would eliminate being able to use one of these tab stoves. They are an option, but no way would I use one exclusively. Just another tool in the toolbox.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think Im going to make the switch. Im so glad I didn't buy that expensive jetboil a couple of weeks ago.
Jetboil is anti hunting, that's a good decision regardless. MSR is way more hunter friendly.

ChrisAU

WKR
I copied this off of their amazon page. Available in in 4-gram (5-minute burn time) and 5-gram (7-minute burn time) sizes (sold separately) Which size fuel tabs do you make?

I use the 14 gram ones but generally get two uses out of them. IIRC one will burn for 17-19 minutes. I was boiling water in the Toaks 550 with outside temps right around 0*F in around 6 minutes. The heat shield is essential to keep heat under the pot.

ChrisAU

WKR
You still have to worry about how much fuel you have left, no different than any other stove. I love watching the YouTube videos where people are making their own fire tabs for "free" right about the time they chop up $20 worth of candles for the wax lol

what I meant is I can tell exactly how much I have left by counting tablets.

If you are looking for really light and cheap, try an aluminum can alcohol stove.
They boil water fast. I’ve done multiple days cooking for multiple people.
I’ve made a bunch over the years, this style is the best with the pot resting right on the can and the “bloom” coming out the side holes. The aluminum pot I picked up at a yard sale probably 30-years ago.View attachment 162862View attachment 162863View attachment 162864
Am I the only one that has the urge to immediately fo try this? I have a MiniMo but am absolutely intrigued with this concept!

Am I the only one that has the urge to immediately fo try this? I have a MiniMo but am absolutely intrigued with this concept!
I have made dozens over the years and given most away to friends. They are fun and really do work. Get a can of denatured alcohol from your hardware if they aren’t sold out due to covid. The side jets are the best so you can set your pot directly on the can.

Jetboil is anti hunting, that's a good decision regardless. MSR is way more hunter friendly.

Jetboil is made in Communist China now, used to be USA, but all the guys and gals who used to make jetboils were fired.
MSR seems more neutral in regards to hunting, as probably a lot of their clientele are tree huggers.
The more expensive (whisperlite, windburner, XGK, etc.) MSR stoves are made in USA. The pocket rocket is made in communist china by slaves.

Moserkr

WKR
I ditched traditional gas stoves 2 seasons ago and started using only my hot tent stove to boil water for my night time hot meal or breakfast coffee. It does take longer to boil but 10 minutes is not the end of the world. The only time i dont run the wood tent stove is if fire restrictions warrant it. No problems yet in the high country, and if its dry i just run a spark arrestor / dont camp around dry duff.
Those alcohol/tablet stove setups are pretty interesting and on my radar. When i started weighing gear, gas canisters were quickly put on the chopping block. My medium sized one weighed almost a pound (11 or 13oz) i think!!

tdot

WKR
I've relegated my esbit stove to an emergency kit. I didnt like the long time to boil water or the greasy soot, it eventually got everywhere.

I tested alchohol a few times and just couldn't make the switch. Too fiddly for me. But I want it to work and keep trying.

I keep coming back to the same system I've used for along time now. Soto stove and a butane fuel canister, a Ti pot. I keep partially filled cans of fuel for lighter day trips or shorter trips. A scale will reveal how much fuel is left in the can. So no worries there. I know how much fuel I use to boil 500ml of water.

I upgraded a bunch of gear this year and spent a bunch of time and money trying to get a lighter or better stove system and I just havent found something that offers the same performance to weight. It's the one part of my gear upgrade that I should've left well enough alone.

16Bore

WKR
I’ve got more stoves than I can shake a stick at. I reckon it’s nice to piece and part them together for whatever I’m gonna do.

This one is fairly handy....

7183BD0A-497B-455B-90FD-8376BB7787A8.jpeg

C752F4D1-7865-4B4B-B3F3-FF6396A901A3.jpeg

I am so freakn glad I found this forum! Been searching at least 4 hrs today! I get stuck on the details and best deal and crap and Ill literally spend a full day on gear options. trying to pick a good sight lately and thats been 2 full days!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am so freakn glad I found this forum! Been searching at least 4 hrs today! I get stuck on the details and best deal and crap and Ill literally spend a full day on gear options. trying to pick a good sight lately and thats been 2 full days!
Analysis paralysis

100% man! I am super new so I talk myself into buying the best this and the best that but I should actually focus on the fundamentals. So Im trying not to buy crazy expensive things yet until I get better at shooting. But I do want a good sight, b/c I can move it over to my next bow.

Carr5vols

WKR
I
Used an esbit system this past elk season in CO in below freezing weather, worked great. Total cook system weight is 4.22 oz without fuel. Was able to get 2 boils out of most tablets. The pot was also my coffee cup. No issues boiling water for a meal and then boiling more water for coffee, used Folgers single serve coffee bags (like tea bags).

Toaks 550 2.95 oz:

Sea to Summit Alphalight Long Spork 0.45 oz:

Toaks Windscreen 0.4 oz:

Esbit Stove 0.42 oz:
Am considering switching over to this system did you get rid of bags and just put screen and stove inside cup? Or ???

ChrisAU

WKR
I

Am considering switching over to this system did you get rid of bags and just put screen and stove inside cup? Or ???

The screen didn't fit inside the 550 cup, but, I found it wrapped nicely around my saw or my lifestraw depending on if I took one of those with me to keep it from collapsing and getting crushed.

Mosby

WKR
I have several different set ups but my two primary kits are an MSR Reactor or a MSR Titan kettle with an X Mug inside and a Kovea spider stove. These are what I take for most hunts depending on the expected weather and what I feel like taking. I sacrifice a bit of weight for bullet proof reliability with my cook kits. Eating hot food is important to me and if my water filter goes tits up, I know I can boil water or melt snow. I like folding ti spoons and X Mugs for coffee or tea inside my kits.

The MSR Titan kettle also fits perfectly inside my Four Dog Stove Mors pot. The Mors pot is awesome for boiling a larger amount of water in base camp when I need to clean up. My set ups work really well for me and I have stopped trying to improve them.

Beendare

WKR
Lots of good options under $100 at my REI link below.

I've been using one of those Optimus Crux stoves for almost 20 years- its ben bulletproof. You can get the UL version for $40. I think just about all of them on this page are good....except maybe the Jetboil.

My recommendation is to stay away from the stoves with plastic parts.....
Butane stoves

_____