Lightweight down puffy recommendation

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The Ptarmigan is a great jacket very warm and well built at a great price. They have the weight wrong though, my large is 16.5oz, not 12.5oz

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone tried out the ptarmigan 850 ultra down by skre ?
There's a bunch of comments on the ptarmigan in the Ultimate SKRE review. It has all the features including treated down. My jacket also came in a touch over weight but I have to go back to the thread to see how much.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I've recently got the Brooks down in from First Lite and that thing is going to be a smash this fall. Its the lightest jacket in its class, packs incredibly small and is warm.

ChrisAU

WKR
I've recently got the Brooks down in from First Lite and that thing is going to be a smash this fall. Its the lightest jacket in its class, packs incredibly small and is warm.

I am hoping the weather for my CO elk hunt doesn't call for temps below 30* or so so that I can pack the Brooks instead of the Chamberlin and save a full pound in my pack!

I've had the MH ghost whisperer and wasn't a huge fan. It just didn't fit me well but I might have been a size to small. It was tight in the shoulders/lats but baggy in the gut and I'm no physical specimen. Also, it's so light that you just can't get much insulation in it. Something with a couple more ounces of down is worth it's weight to me.

Something in that 10-11 ounce range seems to be a sweet spot where you can get enough insulation IMO. I do have an arcteryx cerium LT that fits great and sees plenty of time on casual outdoor ventures. The FL brooks looks pretty nice. The Stone Glacier puffy was sweet when I tried it on, it is a little warmer than the cerium LT. I'll primarily be using a nunatak apex jacket this year, they are just so light/warm/weather resistant for the weight.

Last edited:

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
Eddie Bauer Microtherm 2.0. It doesn't list the weight on the website but the hooded version weighs 12oz so the hoodless has to be around 10. I got the hooded version for my hunting coat this winter... ended up wearing it to work everyday too. It also has a no fault lifetime warranty.