Lightweight, down, roomy bag or quilt….

Jakerex

WKR
I’m looking for something lighter for 2nd season CO bivouac tent camping. My bag is currently a north face 0 with polar guard and it weighs about 3lb 10oz. It’ doesn’t pack down small at all. And, I hate sleeping in a mummy. I’m a side sleeper.

Is there a lighter weight down bag that is roomy, and budget friendly? I guess average night temps are 10 - 30 degrees, but that’s always subject to change each year.

Quilts are intriguing but I know little about them.

Also. I typically sleep in my gear….long underwear layer and thin pants. How much does layering clothes allow you to reduce the comfort temp range of your bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pn8hall

WKR
I am a side and stomach sleeper and often sleep with 1 knee bent up. I run a Nemo Sonic 0 degree long and it is perfect for me as a side sleeper. The long is a bit wider than the regular length. I use it for 1st and 2nd rifle in Colorado and temps have been from close to 0 up to about 40 at night. No major complaints overall with the bag. I think its just a hair over 3lbs if I recall and compresses down pretty well.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Light, cheap, warm you can pick two. If budget is a concern you can get a 20 degree quilt pretty reasonable, it'll work if you already have a good pad. Western Mountaineering Terralite would be a dream setup bag-wise, but like the Chilkoot mentioned above, it isn't budget friendly. Plenty of room in it though for layering and side sleeping. Check out the Burrow quilts from Hammock Gear, they're not too expensive. A synthetic quilt will be cheaper, just a little bulkier. Arrowhead Equipment, Viam, or Enlightened Equipment all make synthetic quilts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
I will suggest a 10° El Coyote quilt. I’m a side sleeper and a quilt has substantially improved my sleep in the backcountry. There is a slight learning curve to quilts and you will need a a high quality warm pad. My current setup is a 10° El Coyote regular length wide quilt (27oz) with a Exped Downmat regular (19 oz). Back in January I was able to sleep outside my truck with no tent at around 25° Without any issues and I’m a cold sleeper.

I will suggest a 10° El Coyote quilt. I’m a side sleeper and a quilt has substantially improved my sleep in the backcountry. There is a slight learning curve to quilts and you will need a a high quality warm pad. My current setup is a 10° El Coyote regular length wide quilt (27oz) with a Exped Downmat regular (19 oz). Back in January I was able to sleep outside my truck with no tent at around 25° Without any issues and I’m a cold sleeper.

Being intrigues with quilts, but afraid to try(I’m 6’1,325lb). I contacted El Coyote.
Brian walked me they his process and asked me questions for how I sleep and dimensions. He was able to build me a custom 10* long x XX-Wide quilt. I couldn’t be happier.
Love the room and the loft!

Packs down extremely well and weighs in at 32 oz

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I’ll check out the coyote quilts and Nemo bags. Thanks

BBob

WKR
I'm a side sleeper and 1 knee up person too. I went with one size wider quilt than would be for a normal sleeper so it would be easier to keep it wrapped around me. I discussed this with Brian at Coyote and he felt for my size I could go either way (regular or wide). I took the small weight penalty with the wide and it's been working out fine. For years I used a Big Agnes Horse Thief (40°) bag for early warmer hunts. It's their old system where the pad slides in a sleeve and serves as the bottom of the bag. They were sort of a pre-cursor to quilts. Those old bags were wider than all the mummy's and worked really well for me.

schmalzy

WKR
I really like my WM Terralite but might be a touch cool for your temp range. 25 degree bag. I’ve taken it down to 25 with an xtherm. I had base layers and kuiu ultra puffy pants and was pretty warm/needed to vent. I think it could go down to 10-15 if you wore a puffy jacket with it. Sub 2 pound rectangular bag that unzips to a quilt. I’m a side sleeper and it’s far more comfortable for me than mummy bags.

Beagle001

FNG
+1 for quilts

I went with the EconoBurrow from the above mentioned HammockGear and it punches above its weight. I got the 0 degree and it is actually too warm for me on nights above 30 degrees. Think it weighs 35ish ounces, so a 10 or 20 degree (based on your said needs) would be in the 25 ounce range, I imagine. Definitely worth a look.

I didn’t even know quilts were a thing until joining Rokslide. I quickly became intrigued and bought one from Enlightened Equipment. I’m a 6’3” 215lb knee up side sleeper as well. I couldn’t be happier. It’s been everywhere from my backyard testing in 10 degree snow to Alaska in 35 degree downpours and it’s always done the job. Get a quality pad and I’m thinking you’ll love it as well.

Crayton

FNG
As has been stated, a good quilt paired with an insulated sleeping pad will serve you well. I've got an inexpensive 15 degree loftek hybrid quilt from OV that I've used in everything from summer to freezing temps. I love the flexibility of quilts.

robin1970

FNG

robin1970

FNG
I bought a EE Revelation 20 deg down quilt in 2013. Got the wide , short for 5'6" or less. I definitely recommend the wide for winter temps. Helps keep out drafts, and with sleeping pads. I'm 5'3, and wish I'd gotten a 6' quilt. Still a great quilt.

Don't skimp on width, length to save weight in winter.

Last edited:

Gone4Days

WKR
I am a side sleeper. I use a quilt or a Nemo spoon bag. quilt for ultralight backpacking and my Nemo for when i’m not as concerned for weight. Nemo bags are the only way to go for side sleepers.

I went with a Klymit down bag - its an XL and it has a ton of room. I am 6’5” 255 and a side sleeper. Its massive. Price is reasonable as well.

Bearsears

WKR
The Chillkoot looks like a gretty good bag. The 15 F version is rated 8 & 15 for T-rating and comfort which should cover September and early October in Colorado at tree line?? What do you think Bearsears?
I think that's absolutely right. I have basically made it my only bag for pretty much everything now. I've slept in it in the teens and single digits multiple nights now in October and November with zero issues. I will say though that I also layer accordingly for the conditions and have zero problems sleeping in my puffy layers if needed (though i havent needed to yet). I see this as another advantage to this bag. 1. because it features differential cut, you wont compress the down loft when wearing a lot of layers inside and 2. because its so roomy you dont feel like a mummy inside of it with layers on.

In the late season with my Sitka Kelvin Down WS on and puffy pants I wouldnt hesitate to take this bag well below zero especially considering the Extreme limit rating is -29 degrees.

I also used it in September during archery several nights in Colorado and usually had to have it vented or totally unzipped.

Ill add that I was impressed with the overall construction and the premium materials used. In addition I was impressed that Stone Glacier actually had it ISO23537 tested, rated, and published the results. Even some higher end down bag companys wont or dont do that. The other caviate is that you need to pair the bag with the proper pad for the conditions. In cold conditions I use an Exped downmat and in warm I use what ever I feel like that is rated at least a 3 R value.

The only negatives I have are:
1. The magnetic closure for the neck baffle doesn't work that great but this could just be because of my fat neck and wide shoulders. (Im probably just going to add a snap)
2. The 15d material is definitely very light so it needs to be babied a bit although since its pertex so far its proven to be acceptably durable. (lightweight, durable, and comfortable are impossible to have together, compromise must be made)
3. The foot box is a little more narrow than Id like but not uncomfortable. Again this is why the bag comes in at 2lbs. 3oz.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I think that's absolutely right. I have basically made it my only bag for pretty much everything now. I've slept in it in the teens and single digits multiple nights now in October and November with zero issues. I will say though that I also layer accordingly for the conditions and have zero problems sleeping in my puffy layers if needed (though i havent needed to yet). I see this as another advantage to this bag. 1. because it features differential cut, you wont compress the down loft when wearing a lot of layers inside and 2. because its so roomy you dont feel like a mummy inside of it with layers on.

In the late season with my Sitka Kelvin Down WS on and puffy pants I wouldnt hesitate to take this bag well below zero especially considering the Extreme limit rating is -29 degrees.

I also used it in September during archery several nights in Colorado and usually had to have it vented or totally unzipped.

Ill add that I was impressed with the overall construction and the premium materials used. In addition I was impressed that Stone Glacier actually had it ISO23537 tested, rated, and published the results. Even some higher end down bag companys wont or dont do that. The other caviate is that you need to pair the bag with the proper pad for the conditions. In cold conditions I use an Exped downmat and in warm I use what ever I feel like that is rated at least a 3 R value.

The only negatives I have are:
1. The magnetic closure for the neck baffle doesn't work that great but this could just be because of my fat neck and wide shoulders. (Im probably just going to add a snap)
2. The 15d material is definitely very light so it needs to be babied a bit although since its pertex so far its proven to be acceptably durable. (lightweight, durable, and comfortable are impossible to have together, compromise must be made)
3. The foot box is a little more narrow than Id like but not uncomfortable. Again this is why the bag comes in at 2lbs. 3oz.
Now I need to catch a sale...!!! Man the warm light bags are all north of $500. I'd like to stay under 2 lbs 4 oz.

ddigman3

FNG
I love my Nemo Disco 15. Great for us side sleepers, rollers, splayed leg sleepers etc. Pretty good price, lightweight, and compresses well. I am a cold person so I wear a hat to keep my head heat in and a t-shirt to keep my shoulders warm and I can take it down to low 20's without issue. I use a cotton bag liner from Sea to Summit to keep the funk out of the bag but may pickup a silk version for warmer hunts and one of the Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor liners for those colder hunts.

I will note that the roomer rectangle bags don't keep me as warm since there is more open air in the bag that my body heat needs to keep warm. I used a big heavy -25 bag for my truck camping and was freezing for the first half of my Wyoming hunt then switched to my Nemo and was sweating the second week. Lesson learned.