Lightweight gear for horses

2rocky

WKR
I Read it Robby. well written.

I'm too much of a traditionalist though.

Where I think we can make strides in light weight packing equipment is in Panniers. My High Country hard panniers put me 40# behind the eightball on each side before we even start! So I usually figure on manties when I can.

The other weight issue is packing feed. By October, the grass is less powerful, and I'd have to let my horse graze 4-6 hours in the middle of the day, which means I need to have an eye on him. (That is when I make up for short nights with cat naps).

My ideal system hunting solo would by hiking on foot with 1 pack horse for mule deer, or Ride one/ pack one for elk. Hike out with 2 horses packed if successful.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks 2r,
good to hear from another horse packer.

I switched to soft-sided nylon panniers from the heavy hard side stuff years ago and never looked back. Hard sides were nice to sit on and to keep from breaking stuff, but just too heavy. My nylons come in about 12 pounds total. I get an apple box at the produce department stuff them in for stiffness. They're good for about two trips and also keep the siedes up and open so you can get gear in and out easily.

I hardly pack any feed until late October/November, then only if I'm on a 3 day or more hunt. I trained my horses on a picket stake and put one out all night every night, (close enough to camp I could hear if there was a tangle and a scuffle) giving the other snack time during slow part of day. They lose weight for sure, but still have energy to hunt and I don't have to mess with feed.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Let's see, how did that song go? "Don't give me no plastic saddle. I wanna feel the leather when I ride"!

Great article Robby! I'm a die hard leather gal myself but I think their is definitely a place for the backcountry hunter/packer with these saddles. If I could justify another saddle for that purpose I'd take a long hard look at them. My horse would appreciate it too.