Lightweight Howa Mini Builds - .223 Rem & 6.5 Grendel

KenLee

WKR
Selling a rifle labeled "mini" with a 14 inch lop should be a felony...and that's before you get the issue of problems with the QC of the factory stock.

OP
Selling a rifle labeled "mini" with a 14 inch lop should be a felony...and that's before you get the issue of problems with the QC of the factory stock.
Still waiting for my rifle to be returned. Sitting at a month and a half since I sent my rifle out, so assuming Howa sticks to their quoted return times "only" another month and a half left...

Edit: I'm bad at math. Quote was 60-120 days. So maybe two weeks left to wait, maybe two months.

Last edited:

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider
Why would a mini action have anything to do with LOP?

OP
Why would a mini action have anything to do with LOP?
Without having said it myself, I'm guessing it's just to point out the absurdity of having a LOP longer than the more standard 13-13.5" on what's supposed to be a smaller package overall. Especially one that is more likely to see use by shooters of smaller stature.

FWIW, my Grendel measures 13.5" LOP.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Love the Leuold 2.5 x8, probably my favorite scope.
That stock on the other hand...........maybe some krylon?

I think that stock is awesome as is.

I may have missed it in the thread but who makes it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
I think that stock is awesome as is.

I may have missed it in the thread but who makes it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's the maker Howa uses for their carbon fiber stocks, Stocky's. You can save a few bucks buying one of the factory seconds stocks. It may say there is a delay during checkout as seconds become available, but mine shipped immediately.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
FYI it looks like Brownells has the 223 Mini Action (barreled action) on sale for $389 (home page says "today only.") Brownells Barreled Mini Action

I also got an email from Stocky's yesterday with their carbon fiber blems on sale for $299. Very tempting--after reading and RE-reading the .223 for big game thread I've been thinking about something shorter/lighter than my Ruger American Predator.
Stocky's Carbon Fiber

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
FYI it looks like Brownells has the 223 Mini Action (barreled action) on sale for $389 (home page says "today only.") Brownells Barreled Mini Action

I also got an email from Stocky's yesterday with their carbon fiber blems on sale for $299. Very tempting--after reading and RE-reading the .223 for big game thread I've been thinking about something shorter/lighter than my Ruger American Predator.
Stocky's Carbon Fiber
Man I wish someone in New Zealand sold US$300 blemished carbon stocks.

Carbon stocks here start at US$550 which is painful when it's way more than I paid for my Howa Mini .223 to start with

OP
I called Howa today for an update since it has been 60 days since they received my rifle, and never received a response when I asked for a status update through their ticketing system last month. I was told I shouldn't expect any sort of status update until the end of November.

I asked if a refund was in the realm of possibility, but was told that wasn't possible since they're merely an importer. Can't see purchasing another Howa in the future.

KenLee

WKR
I called Howa today for an update since it has been 60 days since they received my rifle, and never received a response when I asked for a status update through their ticketing system last month. I was told I shouldn't expect any sort of status update until the end of November.

I asked if a refund was in the realm of possibility, but was told that wasn't possible since they're merely an importer. Can't see purchasing another Howa in the future.
I was refunded $ for a Howa with cracked wooden stock about 4 yrs ago, but it was through a great Gunbroker seller. They refunded my card and dealt with Howa/Legacy.

Bowhunter-tw

Lil-Rokslider
Im debating building a mini 223 with 16-18” barrel. Wondering if I should go this route or better off going with a tikka or cz. Seems like there are mixed reviews/issues with the howa minis? Ive got a howa short action 243 and dont seem to have any issues with it