Lightweight hunting rifle build

I am looking into building a super light weight rifle and I am debating between a 6.5 creedmor and 6.5 prc. Also I am trying to figure out what barrel length to do because I want it short and be able to put a can on it eventually. I would just build and test but don’t have the funds to do so. I am saying that I want a one and done setup but when you say that you will end up changing eventually anyways. Just looking for feedback and one of the biggest worries I have is the 6.5 prc going to be too light to be very easy to shoot and will I gain very much with it looking at the 20” barrel range.

OP
Ultralight Hunter
That looks nice. What does it weigh and do you fill like you can shoot accurately with it out to the 500 yardish range. Someone I was talking to said that he was struggling with shooting very good with his but he admitted I was new to it and there are some tricks he could learn for shooting it.

I have a 7.5lb 300 WSM pushing 208s at 2935 and I shoot it out to 1500 yards, currently unbraked. Not ideal, but it works. Pick a stock with good ergonomics and 500 should be as easy as breathing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
That looks nice. What does it weigh and do you fill like you can shoot accurately with it out to the 500 yardish range. Someone I was talking to said that he was struggling with shooting very good with his but he admitted I was new to it and there are some tricks he could learn for shooting it.
7.6 lbs. with scope and I shoot plate 1000 yds and have taken Arizona couse whitetail 711 yard. 140 Accubonds shoot well too 2889 fps

OP
Ultralight Hunter
I am running a 270wsm right now and I was pushing a Barnes 129g lrx at 3650 and was taking 600 yard shots and it was 7lb but looking for something shorter and lighter. Also that load was too much and I had to turn it down.

OP
Ultralight Hunter
Read Rokslide's own Luke Moffat's "Uberight Kimber" article here about his build and go forth.
Read the article and it was really good. A lot of good info. It starts to put back in the 7mm-08 because the Bullets I like to use have better bc’s.

tdot

WKR
The stock fit and shape have had more of an influence on the shootability of my lighter guns then the overall weight. Spend the time to try some stocks and really figure out what works for you. I have an easier time shooting my 338ss in a stock that fits me then my 260rem in a stock that doesn't, both guns are below 8lbs with optics.

Do you have a target weight? Personally I've settled on 7-8lbs total weight as the best balance of weight vs handling.

What are your target animals? That should drive your caliber choice. I like 7mm+ for my mountain rifles.

OP
Ultralight Hunter
The stock fit and shape have had more of an influence on the shootability of my lighter guns then the overall weight. Spend the time to try some stocks and really figure out what works for you. I have an easier time shooting my 338ss in a stock that fits me then my 260rem in a stock that doesn't, both guns are below 8lbs with optics.

Do you have a target weight? Personally I've settled on 7-8lbs total weight as the best balance of weight vs handling.

What are your target animals? That should drive your caliber choice. I like 7mm+ for my mountain rifles.
So my target weight is not set but I am looking at sheep, mule dear and under 400 yard elk. That gun you have looks like the other one I am working on which is a 300 prc for elk and bigger animals. I am a huge fan of the 7mm size and if Barnes is not making there new low drag bullet in 6.5 or if it is too long to get in the action I will be going 7mm-08 or 7mm rausm. The 7mm hits the sweet spot on all copper Bullets right now.

madcalfe

WKR
also i will say having a super light gun and using a optic that's reliable for dialing repeatedly out to those ranges will make the gun a little top heavy. and like tdot said id probably be looking to build something in the 7mm range. 7saum, 7ss

OP
Ultralight Hunter
Here’s my custom .300wsm 5lbs 4oz bare and 8lbs 2oz ready to hunt with 4 in the mag and 5 shells on the butt stock. I can hit steel at 1100yards with it as long as it’s calm out. 500 yards is quite easy though.

View attachment 325523
View attachment 325524
That is what i was going to build because it is a better 270 wsm but am going with the 300 prc for bigger game. It will be about 8.5 pounds when finished. Left a little weight on the table for recoil. How are you liking the kahles.

OP
Ultralight Hunter
It is really pulling me back to the 7mm because with the shorter barrel I can get better all around ballistics when you go bc’s and speed.

madcalfe

WKR
no complaints beside its a little heavy. glad i went with a kalhes over a ATACR after finally being able to look through a ATACR out in the field.

OP
Ultralight Hunter
no complaints besides is a little heavy. glad i went with a kalhes over a ATACR after finally being able to look through a ATACR out in the field.
I am looking at the nx8 on the 300 but will have to look deeper at the kahles

madcalfe

WKR
It is really pulling me back to the 7mm because with the shorter barrel I can get better all around ballistics when you go bc’s and speed.
im a big fan of short actions and short barrels. my 300wsm is pushing 178gr eldx at 2920fps with a 20" tube. its good enough for elk out to 550 meters and sheep/ deer out to 750 meters. i could probably do better with a 190/200 grainer but i dont plan on taking game passed 600 anyways