Lightweight Kimber With A Suppressor, Bad Idea?

OP
BeaverHunter
shortening the 280ai barrel may waste a fair amount of fps. have you thought about 308, 7mm-08 or 6.5cm? they all seem to do well with shorter barrels and don't lose too much. the recoil should be reduced compared to the ackley as well.

also, i found my kimber takes a little more concentration to shoot well than the tikka. not an issue when shooting short distances but more of a problem out past 400 yards. some of that may be that the kimber stock is tiny compared to the tikka. weight is likely the other factor.
I did think about that. Still haven’t decided if a I will shorten the barrel or not. Won’t shorten it too much if I do. Most likely a couple inches If I end up doing it. Should still pack enough punch for elk at 600 or less yards which is my personal limit. Especially when I reload for it.

I owned an unbraked Kimber Montana in 300 wsm so I know what you mean when you say light rifles are harder to shoot. This setup with suppressor and scope I’m hoping to be 7 1/2-8 pounds all in which isn’t too crazy light.

OP
BeaverHunter
Thanks for everyone’s advise. I was able to pick up a used but never shot Kimber Hunter Boot Campaign with Talley rings for $679. I plan on getting it here and doing the gel removal trick. Will put on an SWFA scope on it. I have an ultralight 2.5-10 that might be perfect for it. If I did that with my suppressor(when it gets in) I should be right at 7 pounds! Pretty excited.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
How is your suppressor mounted?

Direct thread?...if so, what size threads?
Direct thread, I dont recall the thread size as its unique to kimber. This is the adapter i used.

I have Kimber MA in 280 Ackley...I'm going to order the Kimber adapter for suppressors (7/16" threads to 5/8" threads).

I've also considered cutting down my barrel from 24" to 22", but don't think I'll go shorter than that. At 22", the barrel diameter is approx .565". That is really not enough barrel for 1/2" threads with shoulder for suppressor, so I would still opt for the adapter.
Reviving an old one so I can ask, if you still have that MA in 280AI do you know at what length the barrel diameter is .6”? I’d appreciate the info if you happen to know!

Reviving an old one so I can ask, if you still have that MA in 280AI do you know at what length the barrel diameter is .6”? I’d appreciate the info if you happen to know!
I believe if you go with a TBAC suppressor, they have 1/2-28 face mount CB muzzle devices. It doesn't look like they sell them, but I believe they will install one for you.

I believe if you go with a TBAC suppressor, they have 1/2-28 face mount CB muzzle devices. It doesn't look like they sell them, but I believe they will install one for you.
Appreciate that. I have a Harvester Evo in jail, and Silencerco has no issue with 1/2-28 direct thread. I have an 8400 that I’m considering a rebarrel on, but also wondering if I can just thread a MA 1/2” at a given barrel length. There is one for sale locally at the moment, but not so local that I can go take barrel diameter measurements. Ha!