Lightweight knife

What is the best lightweight knife? I have been using a havalon and the outdoor edge replacment blade knife. I have looked a the tyto knives the on,thing is that just like tge havalon I am afraid of breaking the blades. I,am leaning towards the benchmade attitude.

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
Yesterday I picked up the Benchmade Bugout. I compared it to the Altitude right in the store. Both use the same steel and the blade design seemed very similar. Weight was comparable as well. I looked at it through the lense of dual purpose where I use it as an EDC and for hunting. It struck me that I could do this once I compared both side by side. Just my thinking and approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Iron Will Outfitter’s new blade. It’s less than 2oz. You know it’s quality coming from that company, too.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
I recently picked up a Rainier Fastpak after hearing someone mention it on another thread here. Super light, Elmax steel, and a good price point. Paired with a lightweight sharpener, I think this will fit the bill nicely.20190811_090104.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
Yesterday I picked up the Benchmade Bugout. I compared it to the Altitude right in the store. Both use the same steel and the blade design seemed very similar. Weight was comparable as well. I looked at it through the lense of dual purpose where I use it as an EDC and for hunting. It struck me that I could do this once I compared both side by side. Just my thinking and approach.

I have both knives and agree the blade shape is really similar. The steel is different though, at least on mine. The Bugout is S30V and the Altitude is S90V. Supposedly the S90V holds an edge longer.

Really if I was doing it again I'd just buy the Bugout. Some of the newer pants I have like my Yukon rain pants have a built in belt that doesn't work to put a belt knife on. The folding Bugout is about as easy as it gets for pocket carry. I always have a bigger fixed blade with around a 4.5" blade with me anyway hunting, so if my belt forces me to carry that in my pack the Bugout is a really handy option to have in my pocket.

Other reasonably light folding knives I like are the discontinued Gerber Bolt Action Exchange blade (2.5oz plus extra blades), the Buck Alpha Crosslock 3.9oz (S30V blade and saw/guthook blades), and the ZT 452 CF 4.2oz (4" S35VN blade).

Lawnboi

WKR
Save yourself over 100 bucks and get a lt Wright small northern hunter.

Hand made in the US, awesome steel with a great heat treat and IMO the best shape, grind and thickness for chopping up game.

No offense to the benchmade lovers here, but they are overpriced machine made knifes, made out of steel that needs a serious knowledge of sharpening to keep it very sharp IMO. I own a couple, along with a lot of others, and am always reaching for the above knife, even over customs.

Last edited:

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
I have both knives and agree the blade shape is really similar. The steel is different though, at least on mine. The Bugout is S30V and the Altitude is S90V. Supposedly the S90V holds an edge longer.

Really if I was doing it again I'd just buy the Bugout. Some of the newer pants I have like my Yukon rain pants have a built in belt that doesn't work to put a belt knife on. The folding Bugout is about as easy as it gets for pocket carry. I always have a bigger fixed blade with around a 4.5" blade with me anyway hunting, so if my belt forces me to carry that in my pack the Bugout is a really handy option to have in my pocket.

Other reasonably light folding knives I like are the discontinued Gerber Bolt Action Exchange blade (2.5oz plus extra blades), the Buck Alpha Crosslock 3.9oz (S30V blade and saw/guthook blades), and the ZT 452 CF 4.2oz (4" S35VN blade).

I should have had my readers on at the store when looking at the steel number on the blades . Thanks for correcting.

Beendare

WKR
Lots of good options....key is getting a quality steel.

I can tell you the CPM S30V in the Benchmade steep country will do 2 elk without touchup.

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good options....key is getting a quality steel.

I can tell you the CPM S30V in the Benchmade steep country will do 2 elk without touchup.

Now that's good to know. I'm just looking to use it in one this year.

I recently picked up a Rainier Fastpak after hearing someone mention it on another thread here. Super light, Elmax steel, and a good price point. Paired with a lightweight sharpener, I think this will fit the bill nicely.View attachment 116304

I second this choice for sure. Under $100 and has been great so. I will try it out on big game this year but this knife is a winner.

Napperm4

WKR
If you’re looking for strictly skinning, boning etc for a hunting knife this thing is amazing.

I upgraded this year from the OE replaceable and havalon systems with this. I can’t find a thing to complain about

I recently picked up a Rainier Fastpak after hearing someone mention it on another thread here. Super light, Elmax steel, and a good price point. Paired with a lightweight sharpener, I think this will fit the bill nicely.View attachment 116304

Slight thread derail, but how do you like that sharpener? I'm trying to decide between the Work Sharp and a lighter carbide pull-through style to carry in my pack.

mcseal2

WKR
Question wasn't to me, but I'll add my 2 cents.

I have a Cabelas ceramic steel that I carry in my pack. The glue holding the wood handle came loose in Alaska when it was wet for several days, now it's just the rod that I carry. It weighs just over an ounce and has been all I need to keep a premium steel knife sharp through several animals. I carry the Worksharp in the truck but really haven't needed it. I have always been able to get back home to the Sypderco Sharpmaker before needing more than the steel.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Slight thread derail, but how do you like that sharpener? I'm trying to decide between the Work Sharp and a lighter carbide pull-through style to carry in my pack.
I just picked it up so no hands on experience yet. But I figure the ceramic rod will be perfect for small touch ups in the field. I'm no expert by any means, but I've heard others recommend against the pull-through type sharpeners.

Beendare

WKR
S30V,S35V, Elmax above^...all good steels for a processing knife. I have a S20V but it will rust if you don't take care of it.

S90V and S110V is amazing....but a lot more difficult to sharpen.