Lightweight Lantern?

Split toe

WKR
Any advice for a backcountry lantern that is lightweight? Luci vs Luminaid?

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I've used a few of these led lanterns over the many years. Some of the ones I bought just a few years ago have already taken a dump on me. I identified the problem in 2 of them; one was the switch,..the other the circuitry wasn't potted.

I'm shying away from cheap LED stuff. I think a guy would be better off with the top manfrs like Fenix, Zebra and Streamlight. I just bought a couple Fenix CL23's at link. They are smaller than they look---very compact...and built solid/sealed well. They are fairly heavy though with 3 AA batteries.

I think I will just use a Zebra or Fenix headlamp on a UL backpack in type hunt...and these Fenix lanterns when packing in with a buddy...or horseback.
https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-cl23-lightweight-camping-lantern/

I've got two solar-powered Luci Lanterns that I take every time we go out. They're crazy light, and have always been reliable. Plus they're super cheap! When I leave camp for the day I just set them outside the tent and they're fully charged when I get back that night.

+1 for luci for a camp light. I have the ones that will take a charge and the straight solar ones. Like both. Only problem I have had involved a buddy running over one with a side by side.