Lightweight load carrying pack for 10days

tdot

WKR
I'm in the early stages of planning a solo mountain hunt in late August here in BC. Putting in for Sheep and goat, hopefully I get one of them.

I've always kept an eye on weight, but I never felt like Ultralight gear gave me what I wanted, so light gear was good enough.

But now I'm looking to remove some bigger weight from a few key areas. The first one is my pack. I currently have a Kifaru 44Mag that I've cut un-needed items off of, but the whole setup is still about 7 pounds, before I start adding pockets.

Ideally I would like to lose 2 to 2.5 pounds from the pack. The only packs I've seen that are in that realm are the Seek Outside Saker 7400 or the Kuiu Ultra 7000.

Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 had been my plan for the last year. But their prices have been going up and I'd only save a touch over a pound. But maybe that's the better option?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Recommendations between the 2?

Camomutt

FNG
44 Mag is 3.5 lbs, find a used Argali, they're under 2 lbs.
If you're using a nalgene and water bottle pouch, you can bungee a plastic bottle to your shoulder strap to save about 6oz. Kifaru has a video on youtube on this.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
Seek Outside Goshawk and talon. I've owned and used Kifaru, SG, and SO. The SO has been the most comfortable for me. My setup weighs 5#.

I’ve got a 26” bikini frame, medium belt, AMR (7800ci and 2# 5oz), and Guide Lid below 6#. Add in a couple of belt pouches or Nalgene pocket and I’m a hair over 6#. No way would I give up the comfort, size, and function of the Kifaru for a different pack to save a pound.

I’m guessing a Lite frame paired with Argali would be close to 5#.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
I currently have a Kifaru 44Mag that I've cut un-needed items off of, but the whole setup is still about 7 pounds, before I start adding pockets.

Ideally I would like to lose 2 to 2.5 pounds from the pack. The only packs I've seen that are in that realm are the Seek Outside Saker 7400 or the Kuiu Ultra 7000.

The Seek Outside Revolution Fortress 6,300 is really 7,300ci because it includes a Talon which is 1,000ci. It weighs only 4lbs 2oz so it is chopping off 2.8lbs or 40%. I have one and it is incredibly comfortable when carrying weight.

https://seekoutside.com/revolution-fortress-6300/

OP
T

tdot

WKR
44 Mag is 3.5 lbs, find a used Argali, they're under 2 lbs.
If you're using a nalgene and water bottle pouch, you can bungee a plastic bottle to your shoulder strap to save about 6oz. Kifaru has a video on youtube on this.

Thanks, I'll keep my eye open for an Argali.

I'm already running 1l bladders instead of nalgene's. I'll look for that video though. Thanks.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
I’ve got a 26” bikini frame, medium belt, AMR (7800ci and 2# 5oz), and Guide Lid below 6#. Add in a couple of belt pouches or Nalgene pocket and I’m a hair over 6#. No way would I give up the comfort, size, and function of the Kifaru for a different pack to save a pound.

I’m guessing a Lite frame paired with Argali would be close to 5#.

I had the Bikini frame. Not convinced I made the right choice by selling it. But the new generation carry's way better for me over 60 to 70lbs. But I do miss the Bikini basically for everything else.

Need to look for the Argali. Didnt know about that bag. I guess the other option is a custom bag if I can't find what I'm after.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
The Seek Outside Revolution Fortress 6,300 is really 7,300ci because it includes a Talon which is 1,000ci. It weighs only 4lbs 2oz so it is chopping off 2.8lbs or 40%. I have one and it is incredibly comfortable when carrying weight.

https://seekoutside.com/revolution-fortress-6300/

Thanks, that's not a combo I've looked at.

What other packs have you compared it to? What's your average and max load that you've had in that pack?

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Coming out with meat you’ll wish you stuck with the Kifaru...

Have you tried a lighter pack? I know I would have agreed with you a few years ago, but some of these new packs have me wondering.

Plus, its sheep hunting. I'll go in there thinking I wont get a sheep, then I'm bound to get one on the ground! Reverse psychology works on my 2 year old, if only it was that easy in the mountains. 😉

I had the Bikini frame. Not convinced I made the right choice by selling it. But the new generation carry's way better for me over 60 to 70lbs. But I do miss the Bikini basically for everything else.

Need to look for the Argali. Didnt know about that bag. I guess the other option is a custom bag if I can't find what I'm after.

Just a heads up.... I had the Argali and AMR side by and kept the AMR. Same height between the two but the AMR is wider and has a much bigger top opening. Since I planned to run a pair of medium belt pouches on the back of the Argali for some small exterior organization and quick access, the weight between the two bags was really close and I prefer the fixed back pockets of the AMR.

Here are the weights I measured.

Argali was 1# 14oz (add in 2 medium belt pouches at 3oz each and it makes an overall dry weight of 2# 4oz)

AMR with auto locks, extra pals matrix on top and below zipper on front, 2 tab loops to run without a lid, and no chamber pocket was 2# 10oz

For 6oz difference I decided to keep the AMR and it’s better shape and fixed back pouches.

If I really wanted to get crazy I’m sure I could remove enough molle on the sides of the AMR to make it weigh less than the Argali. Just not interested to work so hard for a mere 6oz weight savings.

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
I did the same thing last year; used an Exo K2 5500. Base weight was good but didn’t really have enough room (was totally jam packed).
If you have the Kifaru frame already; what about the Muskeg or others suggested above vs buying a while new setup?

Seems like a big cost for a specific use bag vs. spending the cash on lighter tent/sleeping bag/etc.

Block

WKR
Have you tried a lighter pack? I know I would have agreed with you a few years ago, but some of these new packs have me wondering.

Plus, its sheep hunting. I'll go in there thinking I wont get a sheep, then I'm bound to get one on the ground! Reverse psychology works on my 2 year old, if only it was that easy in the mountains. 😉

Almost died packing out 1/2 a bear with a badlands pack a few years ago haha...but no haven’t tried anything but my Kifaru since. Last few mule deer have been over 6 mile packouts no trail, nasty terrain, and aside from my feet,,, was pretty comfy with the 22Mag/Duplex light... I’m sure there’s other great packs out there,, but I’d bet money that extra 2 lbs of ur frame/pack is guna be worth it and hurt less once it’s loaded with 100#

duchntr

WKR
NOt sure if you've ever packed any real heavy loads with your Kifaru, if you have and it was comfortable id stick with that frame and get a lighter bag. That said I have a unaweep 6300 from Seek outside, besides some minor complaints it is by far the most comfortable setup I've used under heavy loads.

Graves14

WKR
I’d look at the Exo 6400. Runs right around 5.5lbs including the lid, plenty of room for 10 days of gear and the new frame is fantastic.

Marble

WKR
Almost died packing out 1/2 a bear with a badlands pack a few years ago haha...but no haven’t tried anything but my Kifaru since. Last few mule deer have been over 6 mile packouts no trail, nasty terrain, and aside from my feet,,, was pretty comfy with the 22Mag/Duplex light... I’m sure there’s other great packs out there,, but I’d bet money that extra 2 lbs of ur frame/pack is guna be worth it and hurt less once it’s loaded with 100#
This is my exact experience. This year packing my elk out, both trips were around 100 punds coming out. I could not tell you which one weighed more or less by putting it on and carrying it. But I know my first load was the heaviest. Very comfortable.

If my purpose was meat hauling, I would get what I have, a kifaru. If my purpose was to be lightweight and just cover ground and travel, I would probably try to save weight from my actual pack.

Wrench

WKR
Is the 10 days because you're staying long or going deep? If it's going deep.....my pack would be the very last place I'd save weight if you already have a know quantity.

I've come several miles with a boned out mule deer and my camp in one trip more than once and although it is a bastard to get off the ground the first time....its nice not having a frame that flexes or rubs the shit out of you while you're working your hardest.

I'm assuming you probably know this as a 10 day hunt isn't something most guys can pull off.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
A Kifaru Bikini frame and the bigger Highcamp bag with no additional pockets carries well (though for me it isn't as comfortable as a Mystery Ranch 6500 (which weighs 5lb more) under heavy loads), is pretty light and you may be able to pick one up in the classifieds for far less than a new pack. I've been in for more than a week with it and if you are realistic about the tradeoffs with the lighter weight, found it to work well. This may not be practical for your circumstances or appeal to you, but breaking up a 10 day trip with a circle back to the truck for the rest of the food or even a trip into town for a beer, burger, shower, check-in with home and sleep in bed for a night, can save you the additional weight of carrying all that food from the start and make more total days in the field logistically and psychologically doable.