Lightweight load carrying pack for 10days

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Thanks for everyone's insights, I have more to think about now. I would normally agree that a pack is not normally the place to cut weight, but the setup I've got right now just seems excessive and it is the one place in my kit that I can potentially cut pounds as opposed to just ounces. If I can do it without any great negative to reliability or weight carrying, it seems like an easy win.

It is a little bit of a weird situation, in that I dont know where I'll get the tag. I've put in for a few different areas... and I might not even get one, so I dont yet have a plan for the hunt. But trying to stay versatile with my kit so that I have options. But the one thing in common is that all of the locations will be deep. I do intend on hunting black bear this spring in whatever area I draw a tag, so that I can atleast test any new gear and get a feel for the area I'll be going into.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I'd give Kuiu a look as I believe they are one of the lightest on the market. My pack weights right around 74oz total and I've done numerous 7-10 days trips with it. The new suspension system is also a huge improvement and performs well under heavy pack-out weight.

Block

WKR
Why do you think it would do better than seek outside?

I can’t speak for that pack,,. But Iv worn my friends KUIU and wouldn’t want to pack 100+ lbs with it I can tell you that...

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
Why do you think it would do better than seek outside?

I haven't hauled 100# in any pack, but have had a legit 75-80# in both Kifaru and SO packs i've owned. Both performed well but the SO frame was more comfortable for me. I'm not hauling that kind of weight more than a few times a year (other than training sandbags) so maybe the SO wouldn't be as durable as the Kifaru if you are packing odd loads all year. I'm sure there are people on here that do that much more often than me that can chime in. Both are quality built in my opinion.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would normally agree that a pack is not normally the place to cut weight

I'd disagree with this.

IF you've got two packs...
  • both have similar comfort with packout loads
  • both have similar durability
  • both have similar volume
  • both have organization you can live with
THEN the lighter pack wins.

More than that, the pack is a large percentage of total weight, and it is easier to cut weight off your heavy items. Plus, the pack is nearly always worn, so the time weighting is extremely high. Oz saved are multiplied by minutes worn, and that takes much more stress off your body than cutting weight on camp gear.

More on this - https://seekoutside.com/blog/cut-backpack-hunting-weight

OP
T

tdot

WKR

I'd disagree with this.

IF you've got two packs...
  • both have similar comfort with packout loads
  • both have similar durability
  • both have similar volume
  • both have organization you can live with
THEN the lighter pack wins.

More than that, the pack is a large percentage of total weight, and it is easier to cut weight off your heavy items. Plus, the pack is nearly always worn, so the time weighting is extremely high. Oz saved are multiplied by minutes worn, and that takes much more stress off your body than cutting weight on camp gear.

More on this - https://seekoutside.com/blog/cut-backpack-hunting-weight

I'm glad you agree. That was more or less the point I was making, if you read the complete paragraph. You only quoted the first line.

Thanks for the link. It's a good article. I'd have to say I agree with it 95% and have been working towards a similar line of thinking. But any lightweight pack I've tried in the past, failed at the load carrying. I've not tried an SO before which is why I'm asking about them.

I have the SG 6900 and it is very comfortable. Ive hauled 100lb sand bags in it with no pain or hot spots. Ive used Exo, Kifaru, KUIU and Stone Glacier. The one advantage SG has is the loud stays up on your hips and doesn't seem to slip like the others. At the end of the Day I would stay Kifaru, Exo and SG are the top 3. My advice is try all 3 and go with what fits you best when loaded up with at least 65Lbs. I would not choose a pack based on weight. Now if a lighter pack fits you and is comfortable under loud than that a bonus.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm glad you agree. That was more or less the point I was making, if you read the complete paragraph. You only quoted the first line.

No intent to take a jab at you.

There is a line of thinking in the backpack hunting space that a heavy pack is justified and no weight reduction there should be pursued.

That is dead wrong. A pack is one of the FIRST places people should look to cut weight. It's worn nearly all the time, and it is percentage wise a heavy ticket item.

A pack has to be comfortable, and it can't break. It needs the right volume and organization you like. Once you've got that then lighter is better.

When you get far down the ounce cutting trail you start running into walls......I can cut 11 oz in bino weight by buying a pair of Swaro CL Companions and taking them vs my EL 10X42's....cost $1000. $100 / oz weight reduction is hard to justify. But for guys starting out saving 2-3 pounds by swapping packs is an easy and relatively cheap win.

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never tried a SO pack, but for 10 days trips you need both a light pack and a pack that is large enough to carry the gear you need for that duration. The bulkiest space killer in my packs for 10 day+ trips is food.. For me 6000+ CI is where I would start...

For a known quantity I have great luck with Stone Glacier and Exo Mt Gear. They just fit, and when they don't its been easy to adjust them to do so. If I wanted to try something new, I wouldn't shy away from SO. They have some intriguing looking stuff, but having never even seen one in person, I'm more prone toward my known entities.

Rokwiia

WKR
Thanks, that's not a combo I've looked at.

What other packs have you compared it to? What's your average and max load that you've had in that pack?

My load experience doesn't necessarily play out here as I do not hunt. I'm a backpacker so my load patterns are different.

I'm a bit of a backpack fanatic and have nearly a dozen backpacks from an 9-ounce Zpacks Zero to an absolutely amazing McHale pack, which is custom fitted, that will haul whatever weight you can carry (and then some). You may also need to consult a loan officer before you buy one.

That said, in my opinion my Seek Outside Revolution Fortress is the best backpack I've ever owned. It's like a sherpa on Everest. Lightweight but can haul a ton.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
A quick report. I've had the Kuiu for about 10 days. Lots of quick hikes with 15 to 80 pounds and one 5 mile, mountainous hike with 50 pounds.

Overall, I'm reasonably impressed.

It carries a load up to 50 - 60 pounds really well. It wasnt as happy at 80 pounds, not that it sucked, but it just want as good. It was amazing at day hiking weight, with 15- 30 pounds in it, it felt like nothing on my back. Moved very well, not stiff at all. Lots of adjustment to the suspension.

I bought the Pro 3200 and Ultra 7000. They are good bags, lots of organization, layout and ergonomics. The biggest complaint is the center panel compression straps on the Pro. Under tension it tensions the zipper. I could see this being a failure point on a stuffed/stressed bag.

Negatives.

The air mesh that is covering the straps and waist belt destroyed me, if I was only in a T Shirt. Non issue if I had a jacket on. I don't see a work around for this issue.

Shoulder straps are held on by a little toggle and velcro. Worn as a pack, I can't see a failure, however if the load lifter strap is released, which I do before dropping my pack and then you lift the pack by the shoulder strap, I'm sure the toggle will eventually fail with big loads in it. There are ways around this; dont release the load lifter or lift by the grab handle. But I have ingrained habits, and I'm sure I'll eventually mess up, especially when exhausted under a heavy pack.

95% sure the pack will go back because of these 2 reasons. Though honestly, if I didnt have the 10+ day hunt coming up, I might be more tempted to keep it, as it was so good as a day pack and can certainly carry weight on a pack out.

SO pack was ordered awhile back. Hopefully testing them soon.

Exo will be after that if I'm not stoked on the SO.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Just to wrap up this chapter of my gear prep. I've had the Seek Outside frame for a month. Done a good number of multi mile hikes with it from 45 to 110 pounds. While I was slightly hesitant when I first received it. I can now honestly say that this is the best frame I've used to-date.

The wispy nature of this frame when first handled is not confidence inspiring. However, after spending some time playing with it, the strength of it starts to become more apparent. It really is a situation where the finished product is greater then the sum of its'parts. When loaded with 110 pounds of sand and water the frame still allows for torsional movement, but doesnt barrel. The load was transferred to my hips and I was more comfortable then any 100+ pound load I've packed. The only major discomfort I had was in my glutes. There was an intense burning at 2 points. It seemed to aline with the bolted connection point between the frame and the waist belt. But I could not feel the bolt touching me. Since then I moved the connection to the middle grommet and that pain has gone away. So not sure what it was, but it's resolved. That may have also been from just getting used to heavy weight again.

Most of the adjustments worked well, but I did fight with the double forward pull waist straps when I first got the pack. It was awesome when properly adjusted, just finicky to get there. Now with more use, the straps or buckles seemed to have bedded in and it adjusts much easier and more consistently now.

I love how flexible this frame is. With the Kifaru I felt the need to have a 2nd day pack to have a lighter frame. Not with the Seek, I dont feel it constricting my movement in anyway. I've used it with the 4" extensions and it's an awesome combo. Day pack to freighter in only a few minutes with zero compromises between the 2 functions.

So between the light weight and load carrying capability it will definitely be coming on my next sheep hunt. Best part is, that with the flexibility of the frame and the height adjustment options, it will also be my day hunt pack as well.

Last edited:
I have the SG 6900 and it is very comfortable. Ive hauled 100lb sand bags in it with no pain or hot spots. Ive used Exo, Kifaru, KUIU and Stone Glacier. The one advantage SG has is the loud stays up on your hips and doesn't seem to slip like the others. At the end of the Day I would stay Kifaru, Exo and SG are the top 3. My advice is try all 3 and go with what fits you best when loaded up with at least 65Lbs. I would not choose a pack based on weight. Now if a lighter pack fits you and is comfortable under loud than that a bonus.

The hard part of that advice, is loading up all 3 packs and trying them on for yourself means you have to buy all 3 or 4. Then you have 3 or 4 packs to sell at a loss..,..

fatrascal

WKR
If you want to use your current frame then think a out the Kifaru Muskeg line as stated earlier. Or the Nomad with a lightweight center bag. Or use the frame with a cargo net or a cargo panel again with a lightweight center bag. Fatrascal.

Second the so 6300 switched from a kifaru argali for the same reason haven't looked back just over 4lbs and it's waterproof with the X-Pac fabric so you don't need a raincover

The hard part of that advice, is loading up all 3 packs and trying them on for yourself means you have to buy all 3 or 4. Then you have 3 or 4 packs to sell at a loss..,..

All those pack companies have 30 day return policies. So, just load them up with dog food, clean sand bags, rock salt, or something along those lines and keep everything clean and do some hikes with them. You will know after a couple weeks of side by side testing which one works best for your needs. Then keep that one and return the others. Yes, you will be out shipping cost, but it is cheap insurance to know you have the right pack for you.