Lightweight Mountain Rifle Help

thrash907

FNG
Hey all,

I'm looking for some other opinions on purchasing my second hunting rifle, the first of which is a .300 wm Fierce Fury. Back in 2017-18 I had done some research and planned on picking up a Barrett Fieldcraft, but now that I'm ready to buy it looks those have been discontinued.

Primary purposes will include:
  1. Mountain rifle for bushwhacking and pack hunting in AK for sheep, goat, caribou, blacktail, black bear (if I got 30 cal I'd probably use it for moose and brown bear too)
  2. My wife will carry it while we're hunting together
Requirements:
  • Lightweight - around 6lbs rifle only
  • Short barrel and overall length - trying for 20-22" barrel and 42-44" OAL
  • Threaded barrel - will be hosting an Omega 300
  • Budget around $1-2k - doesn't include scope/rings, I could be persuaded to spend a little more
  • Common ammo - I don't reload yet and ordering ammo to AK is a no go
Calibers I'm considering but am not attached to:
  • .300 wsm
  • .270 win
  • 30-06
  • .308 win
  • 6.5 cm
Rifles I'm considering but am not attached to:
  • Tikka T3x Superlite (thread or aftermarket barrel)
  • Tikka T3x Lite (chop/thread barrel)
  • Savage 110 Ultralite (don't like that the mag only holds 2 rounds of .300 wsm)
  • Christensen Arms Ridgeline (looks like there's a Ridgeline Scout now with 16" barrel)
  • Kimber Montana
  • Browning X-bolt Pro
Other things to consider:
  • I'm an ok shot but doubt I'd take a shot at anything farther than 300 yds and best case I'd try to get within 100 yds
  • Not at all opposed to customizing over time... the Tikka thread in this forum has some cool rifles
Thanks!

Ryan

Last edited:
Yeah man I'm going to definitely steer you in the tikka direction, 300wsm for sure 👍
I rebarreled one with a 16" 6.5 saum barrel, and put it in an MPI mountain hunter stock.
It weighs 5.6 lbs naked and 6.4 suppressed, my wife packs it exclusively.. Now I need one for me😬

You can chop the barrel down and thread it, or chose from a multitude of aftermarket shouldered prefit barrels for under $500 ready to screw on

OP
thrash907

thrash907

FNG
I think you're right. After typing all this out I started thinking the same thing.

Can anyone recommend a good resource/forum for Tikkas where I could read more about aftermarket stocks/barrels/etc?

lerman

FNG
Interesting I came here to make almost the same thread then I saw yours. I'm also looking for something to backpack hunt, short barrel, 300yd or in for hunting (maybe trying my hand on steel at 500ish), muzzle threading, and in a cartridge I can find easily and afford to shoot. Only thing is I also want a detachable box magazine, AICS preferred.

My thoughts on the subject:
  • It's easy to drink the "flatshooting" cartridge kool aid but consider real life 300yd range means "flatshooting" cartridges aren't that much more desirable when factoring other criteria. The drop from a 178gr .308 ELDX bullet at 300yds is ~8.8" and the drop from a 143gr 6.5 creedmoor ELDX at the same distance is 7.9". The .308 is 100fps slower out of the muzzle. I personally think a 1.1" difference in holdover isn't worth the reduced lethality or the increased expense (of practice ammo) of the 6.5
  • The rule of thumb is 20-30fps loss per inch for standard rifle cartridges and 30-40fps loss per inch for magnum. Once you start getting into very short barrels (16-18") these losses may increase dramatically depending on cartridge and individual load (.270 is notorious for not being a great cartridge under 20"). Optimize as you see fit.
  • .308 remanufactured ammo is ~$1/rd for something with decent bullets right now, slightly more for new practice ammo. Nothing else comes close to that. Check out Freedom Munitions. More practice will outweigh a fancy cartridge 10 times out of 10.
  • Lower velocities resulting from shorter barrels may create less expansion/underperforming terminal ballistics with heavy bullets designed to strike at higher velocities produced by long barrels. Not a huge concern at the ranges we're talking but something to consider.
If you're not going to shoot a lot and your wife is recoil shy a faster lighter cartridge like 6.5 may be the way to go. Otherwise I think .308 fits all our other criteria much better. It's a known performer out of short barrels and has a huge variety of ammo to take everything in north america with confidence.

As far as rifles go, if I was going to spend your whole budget I'd pony up for the Bergara Mountain 2.0. If I was going to spend $700-800 I'd go for a Tikka superlite or savage 110 lightweight storm. Anywhere in the middle I have no idea.

Not to hijack but if anyone knows good rifles that fit this criteria with a detachable AICS mag I'd love to hear it, currently looking at the ruger scout in synthetic.

So for the record there's a lot of mis- information out there about magnum cartridges being a waste with shorter barrels.
My experience is that a magnum will still kick the shit out of a non magnum in the same caliber at any barrel length, and the velocity loss of 25-30 fps remains constant down to 16".
I think you're right. After typing all this out I started thinking the same thing.

Can anyone recommend a good resource/forum for Tikkas where I could read more about aftermarket stocks/barrels/etc?
This forum or snipers hide will have a ton of info.
If you're looking for a barrel McGowan makes a good hand lapped tikka prefit for $375,
I'd recommend a 10 twist throated for 215 bergers.
Another good stock option is the Mesa altitude but its 10-12 oz heavier than an mpi ultralight

peaceman

Lil-Rokslider
Both my kids carry a 338 federal. One in a kimber Montana, and another is a rechambered Fieldcraft. Only downside to the Fieldcraft is the bolt doesnt lock closed. Drives me nuts in the brush. I have a Tikka in 338 fed and 300 win but I’ll take the other two over them unless I’m looking to reach out far.

I have a Tikka Lite in 300WSM that I had chopped and threaded to 20.5". It's in a XLR lightweight chassis. Not the lightest, but durable and with all the chassis features I want. Still looking for a truly lightweight folding stock for it. With a Leupold 4-14 it's about 7.5" loaded.

The only thing I would improve is dropping some more weight via MDT chassis, lightweight folder, and modified mag release.

MHWASH

WKR
I have a Tikka Lite in 300WSM that I had chopped and threaded to 20.5". It's in a XLR lightweight chassis. Not the lightest, but durable and with all the chassis features I want. Still looking for a truly lightweight folding stock for it. With a Leupold 4-14 it's about 7.5" loaded.

The only thing I would improve is dropping some more weight via MDT chassis, lightweight folder, and modified mag release.
What kind of velocity are you getting? I’m considering shopping mine for a suppresser.

What kind of velocity are you getting? I’m considering shopping mine for a suppresser.
Getting 2750 with 190gr Bergers. I could probably push them faster, but no real need. That setup will kill anything I need it too.

fatbacks

WKR

Check out the semi custom tikka thread on here. Hundreds of different setups and builds…

You can get it done with carbon barrel and new stock for under $2k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElPollo

WKR
The Tikka is a great set up for the Wizzum and it come close to your weight goal, stock. I have one waiting on backordered rings at the moment. Don’t think you can go wrong with that unless you are concerned about overlap with you are concerned about overlap with your Fierce 300 WM.

I've got twin T3X's, one in 30-06 and one in 6.5cm. Both barrels have been chopped to 18.5" and threaded for a can (which also happens to be SiCo Omega).

Since you've already got a 300WM, I would recommend a 6.5 CM, especially if your wife will be shooting it too. It is laughably tame with a can, spotting impacts at 100 yards, tame. Recognizing that your desired range is 300 yards and in, there is no practical reason to worry about a short barrel, either.

My list does/would look like this:
-Tikka T3X in 6.5CM
-Sportsmatch rings
-Your desired scope
-Tikka vertical hand grip
-Area 419 mounting system

I too was wanting to trick them both out with after-market barrels and stocks/chassis, and will someday. However I have since decided to spend that money on ammo. My personal goal is to shoot the barrels out.

All the rifles you are considering will certainly get the job done nicely. I will also add that used Fieldcrafts are around if you are patient. I have one in 30-06 and love it. Very accurate with any factory ammo and extremely accurate with developed handloads (mine is scary with 166 grain hammers). Also very light (mine is 6 1/3 pounds with talley LW mounts and a trijicon 3x9 scope). Some jump with a little punch with relatively strong handloads but very manageable. I think the only minor flaw i can think of is the above mentioned lack of the bolt lock. Not a big deal, but can be a PITA at times. Good luck with whatever you pick - the research is half the fun!

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I have a T3 Ultralite in 270 win. I just took it out on Monday for a hunt and hiked 8 miles with it, then ended up taking a bear with it.
It’s no fun to shoot at the range, but didn’t notice the recoil when I shot the bear. And was easy to lug around.
If you want a suppressor, the Tikka Ultralite muzzle diameter is going to limit you. That’s why I bought a T3x Lite Veil. It’s a good 1/2 pound heavier than the UL. So, I think the plan to get a T3x Lite and chop the barrel sounds pretty solid. My $0.02

Last edited:

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at the Tikka Veil Wideland? Its a little over your desired weight, but comes threaded and cerakoted.
+1 to that. It’s a good rifle. Mine is the Alpine stock, but same overall rifle. I put a lighter Leupold scope and rings on my Veil to help offset some of the additional weight over the Ultralite.

AKredneck63

Lil-Rokslider
All the rifles you are considering will certainly get the job done nicely. I will also add that used Fieldcrafts are around if you are patient. I have one in 30-06 and love it. Very accurate with any factory ammo and extremely accurate with developed handloads (mine is scary with 166 grain hammers). Also very light (mine is 6 1/3 pounds with talley LW mounts and a trijicon 3x9 scope). Some jump with a little punch with relatively strong handloads but very manageable. I think the only minor flaw i can think of is the above mentioned lack of the bolt lock. Not a big deal, but can be a PITA at times. Good luck with whatever you pick - the research is half the fun!
Interested in selling that fieldcraft 06? Message me if you are