Lightweight Mountain Rifle Help

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
Nope - it's about everything I've wanted for a backcountry rifle, don't see ever getting rid of it outside of handing it down to my son someday. Hope they start making them again so more folks can get their hands on them!
So say we all…

SDHNTR

WKR
Since you said wife, your answer is a 308. Anything more in that light of a rifle is going to be very unpleasant to shoot.

z987k

WKR
All the rifles you are considering will certainly get the job done nicely. I will also add that used Fieldcrafts are around if you are patient. I have one in 30-06 and love it. Very accurate with any factory ammo and extremely accurate with developed handloads (mine is scary with 166 grain hammers). Also very light (mine is 6 1/3 pounds with talley LW mounts and a trijicon 3x9 scope). Some jump with a little punch with relatively strong handloads but very manageable. I think the only minor flaw i can think of is the above mentioned lack of the bolt lock. Not a big deal, but can be a PITA at times. Good luck with whatever you pick - the research is half the fun!
I'll second the fieldcraft. Get one on gunbroker. They're still worth what they're selling for.

tdot

WKR
I'd suggest the 308win in a lightweight rifle if you want the ability to run it unsuppressed. Assuming you put on a suppressor that is excellent at controlling recoil, and would only shoot the rifle with it on, then maybe a 300wsm.

I personally feel like the Kimber handles recoil better than a Tikka Superlite.

rickco

FNG
My mountain rifles include: 270 in a Forbes 24 (predecessor to the Field Craft) , two Kimbers Classic select (270 and 300 Win) and a 30-06 in a SAKO finnlight. The SAKO is an amazing rifle.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My Kimber Montana 308 is one of my favorite rifles, it weighs less than 6lbs (without my suppressor) and has been very accurate and reliable for me. I’ve hauled it all over the state and taken some good animals with it. It shoots 1/2” groups pretty easily with the 152g hammer bullets and h4895. It also shoots factory federal red box with 180g partitions the same. It’s been my go to hiking gun for awhile now but I recently got a Kimber mountain twin ascent 300 win mag that I really like too.

z987k

WKR
My mountain rifles include: 270 in a Forbes 24 (predecessor to the Field Craft) , two Kimbers Classic select (270 and 300 Win) and a 30-06 in a SAKO finnlight. The SAKO is an amazing rifle.
That's another option. The fieldcrafts are getting up there enough you can go get a used forbes or borderline a new one.

eamyrick

WKR
I just got a 30-06 fieldcraft and all up with a S&B Klassik and sling it’s 7lbs. Shoots stellar with 168 ttsx. For the price I would consider having a quality smith put together a mountain rifle. #2 barrel, edge fill stock to your length of pull. Early remington action. Should set up back $2300 or so. I use Mark Pharr in Round Rock, Tx for all my stuff.

Steelruger22

Lil-Rokslider
I have both a Browning X Bolt Pro in 300 wsm and then a Kimber Montana in .308. Both are amazing rifles and are my two favorites within my collection. I don't think that you could go wrong with either one of them. If I had to pick only one of them it would be the X Bolt. Less picky with pretty much any load tried, overall more accurate, and silky smooth. Its hard to find something not to like about the Pro.

OP
thrash907

thrash907

FNG
After reading all the comments and thinking this over, I'm probably going with a Tikka T3x stainless in .300 wsm with:
  • Stock: McMillan Hunters Edge Sporter
  • Barrel: Preferred Barrel Blanks pre-fit, stainless, 20", 5/8"x24, .300 wsm
    • What's the best contour for running this suppressed with an Omega 300?
    • Is there any benefit to fluting the barrel other than looks? Weight and cooling?
  • Rifle/action: Tikka T3x stainless in ?
    • Availability on .300wsm isn't great, can I just buy any magnum rifle and swap barrel, stock, and magazine? Should I just wait to find one in .300 wsm?
Any other barrels/stocks or other upgrades I should consider? Bottom metal, billet mags, etc?

Thanks!

No reason to buy a different barrel unless you have an extra bolt/receiver. My tikka barrel shoots sub-MOA with handloads. IMHO, if you're getting a custom barrel, I'd go with 6.5 PRC.

SDHNTR

WKR
After reading all the comments and thinking this over, I'm probably going with a Tikka T3x stainless in .300 wsm with:
  • Stock: McMillan Hunters Edge Sporter
  • Barrel: Preferred Barrel Blanks pre-fit, stainless, 20", 5/8"x24, .300 wsm
    • What's the best contour for running this suppressed with an Omega 300?
    • Is there any benefit to fluting the barrel other than looks? Weight and cooling?
  • Rifle/action: Tikka T3x stainless in ?
    • Availability on .300wsm isn't great, can I just buy any magnum rifle and swap barrel, stock, and magazine? Should I just wait to find one in .300 wsm?
Any other barrels/stocks or other upgrades I should consider? Bottom metal, billet mags, etc?

Thanks!
Nothing wrong with going that direction, but With all that time and money spent, might as well go true custom. $2600 for an Alamo Precision Maverick build. Defiance action, match barrel, bedded to a carbon fiber AG stock, and your custom preferences with fluting, Cerakote, barrel length, twist, etc. You’d end up with much better parts and something truly your own and won’t spend much more money. Imo, it’s the best value in custom firearms on the market. Plus you won’t have a long action when you don’t need one (unlike Tikka and their cost cutting singular action size with bolt stop). Trust me you’ll be much more proud of the end result and it’ll shoot lights out. And you’ll have one shop to consult from beginning to end, with no finger pointing if you have a problem, which you won’t.

Ive parted together my own custom builds before and will never do it again. No reason to. When there is a problem, the Smith points at the barrel manufacturer, then the barrel guys point back at the Smith, or the stock maker, yada yada. Alamo is one stop shop. I have 7 different custom rifles some from the best in the biz. Alamo offers the best experience and value by far.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm looking for some other opinions on purchasing my second hunting rifle, the first of which is a .300 wm Fierce Fury. Back in 2017-18 I had done some research and planned on picking up a Barrett Fieldcraft, but now that I'm ready to buy it looks those have been discontinued.

Primary purposes will include:
  1. Mountain rifle for bushwhacking and pack hunting in AK for sheep, goat, caribou, blacktail, black bear (if I got 30 cal I'd probably use it for moose and brown bear too)
  2. My wife will carry it while we're hunting together
Requirements:
  • Lightweight - around 6lbs rifle only
  • Short barrel and overall length - trying for 20-22" barrel and 42-44" OAL
  • Threaded barrel - will be hosting an Omega 300
  • Budget around $1-2k - doesn't include scope/rings, I could be persuaded to spend a little more
  • Common ammo - I don't reload yet and ordering ammo to AK is a no go
Calibers I'm considering but am not attached to:
  • .300 wsm
  • .270 win
  • 30-06
  • .308 win
  • 6.5 cm
Rifles I'm considering but am not attached to:
  • Tikka T3x Superlite (thread or aftermarket barrel)
  • Tikka T3x Lite (chop/thread barrel)
  • Savage 110 Ultralite (don't like that the mag only holds 2 rounds of .300 wsm)
  • Christensen Arms Ridgeline (looks like there's a Ridgeline Scout now with 16" barrel)
  • Kimber Montana
  • Browning X-bolt Pro
Other things to consider:
  • I'm an ok shot but doubt I'd take a shot at anything farther than 300 yds and best case I'd try to get within 100 yds
  • Not at all opposed to customizing over time... the Tikka thread in this forum has some cool rifles
Thanks!

Ryan
I was in your same boat. Was sold on the barrett fieldcraft and was holding out for a the rumored 280AI, then production stopped. I was waffling around looking at Kimbers and Tikkas. Just a couple weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on Christensen’s new Modern Precision Pistol in 308. Love it so far. At 8000 ft elevation I should be good out to 500-600 yards. Weighs nothing and folds up small enough to fit inside my pack.
9398EA2A-F0C7-43F3-906D-66467AB69F91.jpeg

SDHNTR

WKR
I wouldn’t do any of that stuff. I’d just get the gun in 300wsm, put a scope on it and spend the rest on Ammo and reloading supplies.
Something to be said for this practical approach too. As long as you’re ok with plastic and a long action with a short action cartridge…

If it were me I’d be patient and look for a threaded Fieldcraft in 6.5 or 308. Theres still some out there from time to time. I have a tikka 270wsm ive used on a lot of hunts but it isn’t in the same class as a Barrett or NULA in my opinion. To me the Fieldcraft or NULA is much easier to shoot than the tikka.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Something to be said for this practical approach too. As long as you’re ok with plastic and a long action with a short action cartridge…

It’s the OPs project, not mine but I don’t Have any problem with plastic stocks so long as they fit me. If I ever get another tikka though it will be a 30-06 for the reason you mentioned. I’d chop it to 20”, throw an SWFA 3-9 and my banish 30 on it and go kill stuff.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider

What is the Rokslide opinion of the Mark V Weathermark? Can be found for ~$1400. Caliber options are somewhat limited to the Weatherby specific options but is available in 6.5CM. Specs are 22inch barrel, 6.1lb.