Lightweight mountain rifle

OXN939

WKR
7mm-08 if ya reload, 6.5 man bun if ya don’t.

Guessing ammo availability of CM is the big factor in this determination? In my experience with factory ammo and via reloading, the performance of these two is so similar as to make the difference really negligible. Agreed that either would be a killer choice for a first mountain rifle.

Yeah basically. Factory and by that I mean good
7mm-08 can be hard to find

162 amax/eld and or 120 nosler ballistic tips is such a known entity I couldn’t say no.

that said they really are ballistic twins.

But that’s stretching into cartridge decisions..

tikka superlite are bargains.

hunting1

WKR
I love my Kimber Montana in 308. It shoots better than MOA and keeps dropping what it’s aimed at. Is a joy to carry and feels like quality.
I agree on what was said or I have seen guys I know can shoot curse when shooting lite rifles, you have to hold the forearm or it will throw shots.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'd take a barret fieldcraft in 6.5x55 with the 24" barrel all day. Stuff a lapua case full of rl26 and you'll run right next to a 6.5prc. Unfortunately these are very hard to find anymore. You get a lot of features in a Montana, but you do hear of horror stories regularly. There's a checklist of quality control most owners do as soon the rifle shows up. A lot of the time, accuracy issues are cured by one of the items on that list. However Kimber does make bad barrel or has a poor chamber job from time to time.
I dont believe for a second that "Most" owners do all that before shooting, I don't know anybody who has done that stuff (including myself) and I'm around a few dozen kimbers between mine and the ones my friends have.

Not saying that stuff might not help some kimbers but I seriously doubt MOST kimber owners do it.

khuber84

WKR
I dont believe for a second that "Most" owners do all that before shooting, I don't know anybody who has done that stuff (including myself) and I'm around a few dozen kimbers between mine and the ones my friends have.

Not saying that stuff might not help some kimbers but I seriously doubt MOST kimber owners do it.
I've had 3 Montanas. I tried shooting them out the box, quite unsatisfactory. All three had mag boxes that were bound up, 2 had front action screws that were bottomed against the tenon. One had a crooked chamber. I only own one still, and it will go up for sale b4 too long as well.

Firestone

WKR
You can get a Tikka T3x lite or superlite in a 270, 270 short mag, 7mag, 7mm-08, 6.5CM (and a few more) They are awesome shooters and a great bang for your buck if you want a lightweight mountain gun.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've had 3 Montanas. I tried shooting them out the box, quite unsatisfactory. All three had mag boxes that were bound up, 2 had front action screws that were bottomed against the tenon. One had a crooked chamber. I only own one still, and it will go up for sale b4 too long as well.

If you’re selling one in 300wm let me know. Like I said, I’ve had a few, know a lot of guys with them and none have done any “tinkering”, all are happy with how they shoot.

Sorry you didn’t have a good experience.

khuber84

WKR
If you’re selling one in 300wm let me know. Like I said, I’ve had a few, know a lot of guys with them and none have done any “tinkering”, all are happy with how they shoot.

Sorry you didn’t have a good experience.
It's a 338wm with a titanium bolt handle, and aluminum trigger guard, barrel chopped to 22" believe its right at 6#, kicks like a f'n mule lol

LaGriz

WKR
bmicek,

They have a 1st generation Titanium Remington in 7mm-08 in the firearm classified section.
If your interested, this might be in your price range.

I too own a Kimber Montana 8400 chambered in .325 WSM.

The good: Getting good accuracy with 220 gr. power points. Never had any feeding problems. Very light.

The bad: I really don't much care for the blind magazine. I found the stainless finish too shinny for my taste. Felt like I was still hunting with a mirror my hands. Only holds 3 shots that have to be cycled out with the bolt to unload the weapon. Recoil became a problem for this pansy ass.

Mods: I had the metal Cerakoted a dull gray and mounted a "quiet Break". The recoil that was bothersome in a 6# 2 oz. rifle, now less than my .280 Rem. However, there is a trade off. Quiet break my ass! It is now much to loud to shoot without ear protection. Also, as it turns out I don't like synthetic stocks. This was my first rifle so equipped and I just don't like them compared to a quality wood stock. They seamed soulless if that makes any sense to anyone.

If I had it to do over again: I would have gotten the walnut stocked classic. or even the higher end Carlo Walnut version with bottom metal and a floor plate. I'm really a fan of the Kimber concept. Anything resembling a light weight clone of a pre-64 Model 70 with both CRF and a 3-position safety gets my attention.

LaGriz

It's a 338wm with a titanium bolt handle, and aluminum trigger guard, barrel chopped to 22" believe its right at 6#, kicks like a f'n mule lol

sweet! I’m waiting for an unfired 338wm Montana to come back from getting bedded and checked at my smiths. Hope it shoots, then I’ll send it back for a chop, paint/gunkote.

Decker9

WKR
Tikka with a Wildcat Composites stock is the most sensible way to go for the money.

Speaking from the experience of being a two time Kimber lottery looser and being educated by Kimber CS from their book of sorry excuses.

Barrett Fieldcraft is the top choice of you can find one.
X2, tikka + wildcat = cheapest/best light weight option imo. I got my 6.5 swede to 5 1/2 lbs (bare) for cheaper then most other options.

X2, tikka + wildcat = cheapest/best light weight option imo. I got my 6.5 swede to 5 1/2 lbs (bare) for cheaper then most other options.

What about the savage 110 ultralight? It’s just under 6lbs and can be had for around $1100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, first off I’ll be the first to say, I’m a Kimber fanboy. I’ve owned a few, shot a few more, and they’ve all been excellent IMO. I grew up with the m70 pre64 as my favorite rifle, so when Kimber came out with the Montana, I couldn’t keep myself from buying one. I still own that rifle today (.300wsm), and I have no intentions of ever selling it. Every Kimber that I have ever shot, was simply outstanding right out of the box, period. My experiences with Kimber rifles have been nothing but positive. As far as UL wt. rifles go, I currently have 3 Kimbers, a Fieldcraft, and a Tikka T3 Lite, although I don’t consider the T3 an UL rifle. All of these rifles function and shoot very well, and even though the T3 is has the smoothest action (the Fieldcraft being a close second), for whatever reason, I just can’t bring myself to become at all attached to it, and it is most definitely my least favorite one in my quiver. Anyway, everyone has an opinion, and that’s just mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
Hold out for the fieldcraft. You can find them used here and there. I bought one 2 years ago and had I known they'd quit making them, I'd have bought one in every caliber for myself.

I read alot about quality issues with kimber and wasnt interested in buying a rifle that needs a bunch of work to get to MOA. Out of the box I shot my new Savage Ultralight .270win .6 moa with VorTX factory barnes 130gr TTSX. 22inch barrel averaged 2980fps for the first 20 shots. Stock is Tupperware and action isnt the smoothest, but scoped with 3.5-10x40 its under 7lbs and shoots great!

Really? I've got a 338WM in a kimber that I could shoot all day. It must fit me perfectly. Pencil barrel, box mag, vx3 2.5-8 weighs about the same.

As for OP, backfire Youtube channel just did a lineup of lightweight hunting rigs and the savage I believe came out on top. Putting all the money into a proof barrel in a factory rifle means it is gonna shoot.

khuber84

WKR
Really? I've got a 338WM in a kimber that I could shoot all day. It must fit me perfectly. Pencil barrel, box mag, vx3 2.5-8 weighs about the same.

As for OP, backfire Youtube channel just did a lineup of lightweight hunting rigs and the savage I believe came out on top. Putting all the money into a proof barrel in a factory rifle means it is gonna shoot.
I'm probably just turning into a b!tch. All my big magnums have brakes anymore.