Lightweight mountain rifle

X2, tikka + wildcat = cheapest/best light weight option imo. I got my 6.5 swede to 5 1/2 lbs (bare) for cheaper then most other options.
Nothing against the tikka but I have to add this.
Your ultralight wildcat blank plus the fitting is going to be probably over the cost of buying a used montana.

Decker9

WKR
Nothing against the tikka but I have to add this.
Your ultralight wildcat blank plus the fitting is going to be probably over the cost of buying a used montana.

If there would have been cost to the stock finishing, it certainly would have been more, but I did it all myself. Was my fist time finishing any stock, but was pretty easy all in all.

OXN939

WKR
They have a 1st generation Titanium Remington in 7mm-08 in the firearm classified section.
If your interested, this might be in your price range.
A lot of people hate on Remingtons. I've had a 700 Mountain SS that was my first "mountain rifle" purchase, in 7mm-08. It was always around 1.5 MOA with factory ammo, and kind of became a safe queen once I picked up higher speed, newer setups. I decided a few weeks ago to see what it could do. Spot bedded the lug and tang, tweaked the trigger and loaded up some 120 grain Hunter Hammers.

20201130_220630.jpg

20201115_150129.jpg

Needless to say, I'll be paying very close attention to verifying that group this week. Basically a slightly less nice version of that Remington TI you mention, and a great little package to haul around. Caribou, Blacktail and Whitetail so far have yet to notice that it's not a big swingin D belted magnum.

Broomd

WKR
I love my Kimber Montana in 308. It shoots better than MOA and keeps dropping what it’s aimed at. Is a joy to carry and feels like quality.
I agree on what was said or I have seen guys I know can shoot curse when shooting lite rifles, you have to hold the forearm or it will throw shots.
Yep, my wife kills everything she aims at with her Kimber Montana .308. I'd own one, but I shoot LH.
I own a 5lb LH Forbes .308 and it shoots just as good as hers but her trigger is better. And hers is all SS.
If you're a righty you have any many, many choices.....If you aren't into Kimber or Forbes (now Barrett Fieldcraft), I'd look hard at a weatherby super light in 30-.06 at 5lbs 12oz.

Rokbar

WKR
I've had one of the old ruger m77 ultra light in a .270 since the mid 80s. Great concept for a mountain rifle, just lacks in the accuracy zone. I still use it as my woods rifle. I've killed tons of deer with it over the years as well. But at the range its bout as consistent as a weatherman. I may actually have a local smith rebarrel after season and go on up to a 20 inch barrel from the 18.5 inch factory. I've considered selling it several times but just can't bring myself to do it.

If there would have been cost to the stock finishing, it certainly would have been more, but I did it all myself. Was my fist time finishing any stock, but was pretty easy all in all.

awesome! Especially if you managed to find the Tikka at the sub 800 mark. It’s truly a good rifle for the money

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Yep, my wife kills everything she aims at with her Kimber Montana .308. I'd own one, but I shoot LH.
I own a 5lb LH Forbes .308 and it shoots just as good as hers but her trigger is better. And hers is all SS.
If you're a righty you have any many, many choices.....If you aren't into Kimber or Forbes (now Barrett Fieldcraft), I'd look hard at a weatherby super light in 30-.06 at 5lbs 12oz.

I keep telling myself I should have bought a Montana 308 years ago, loaded up a bunch of 155 scenars, and commenced to filling up arks (as Dober would say!)....

I don’t have any photos to share as of yet but I can share the lightweight roster that has taken over my safe:

6.5lb Sako 85 Carbonlight in 6.5 Creed with a Z3 3-10x42
5.43lb Kimber Adirondack 6.5cm in an MPI w/ Ti bolt handle and the same Z3
5.8lb Kimber Montana 338 fed w/Ti bolt handle, 20” chop with the same Z3
6.53lb Kimber Montana w/ Ti Bolt Handle, 22” finished #1 contour Benchmark in 6.5 RPM topped with a Z5 3.5-18x44

Awaiting a 338wm Montana to show up.
Also debating building a 338-06 on another Montana action.

I have a Montana problem.

Decker9

WKR
I don’t have any photos to share as of yet but I can share the lightweight roster that has taken over my safe:

6.5lb Sako 85 Carbonlight in 6.5 Creed with a Z3 3-10x42
5.43lb Kimber Adirondack 6.5cm in an MPI w/ Ti bolt handle and the same Z3
5.8lb Kimber Montana 338 fed w/Ti bolt handle, 20” chop with the same Z3
6.53lb Kimber Montana w/ Ti Bolt Handle, 22” finished #1 contour Benchmark in 6.5 RPM topped with a Z5 3.5-18x44

Awaiting a 338wm Montana to show up.
Also debating building a 338-06 on another Montana action.

I have a Montana problem.

that’s a nice jag of light weights fb!! Those z3’s are about my favourite scope of all time.
I believe my custom action just came in, I’ll be pairing it with one of those #1 benchmark barrels as well, hoping to have it ready for February goat season.

Longbow53

FNG
My thirty year old 284 Mtn. Rifle.Rem stainless action, Lilja 9 tw #3.Throated for 140 gr Barnes.Custom mag well for 3.1 " OAL load. 3x9 Leupold compact. This is a 300 yd gun...period. I wont get into my thoughts with the 700 yd mentality. But all my kills but one were one shot and down, AND total pass thru's.Now the big lung shot cow elk I had to neck shoot her before she stumbled and fell in a canyon. Oh well........know your gun and stick with it.

Attachments

• 284 001.JPG
    284 001.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 31