Lightweight raingear reviews

swat8888

WKR
I've searched the forums but wasn't able to find someplace that reviewed lightweight raingear performance. I don't care about any of the hunting clothing manufacturers (Sitka, Kuiu, Core4, Kryptek...etc.) as I don't think any of them offer a truly lightweight rain gear. I've had a very difficult time finding reviews on the other (non-hunting focused) outdoor gear manufacturers (MH, Golite, Marmot, etc.). If anyone has any experience with that type of rain gear I'd love to hear it.

Some that come to mind that I've been trying to find info on are:
Golite Tumalo or Currant
Marmot Pre-Cip
MH Epic
Outdoor Research...although theirs are a bit heavy

I will say that I had an Outdoor Research Foray, that is a bit heavy, 15.3oz, but worked very well last year. It rained non-stop our entire sheep hunt and the jacket was awesome. It did eventually wet-out, although my clothing never really got wet. It was a little clammy on the inside and did not breathe well, although it had full length pit zips that turned into a quasi poncho that helped with ventilation. The bill worked amazing, it was rather rigid and stayed put on my head keeping the rain off my face, even when very windy. Although there are lighter options out there I will be sticking with it for this years hunt.

ridgefire

WKR
not real sure how lightweight my raingear is but i use simms goretex pants and jacket for my raingear. keeps me dry and is somewhat lightweight and packable

Lawnboi

WKR
You dont consider kuiu lightweight? After using that stuff im sold on in. Its not super light but as far as being functional raingear that wont make you wet from the inside, id say the weight is worth it for me.

Not to mention its going to be quite a bit more durable then those thin UL mountaineering hardshells. And you wont sound like your wearing tinfoil.

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I think that after messing around with gore tex and the ultralight raingear, I am going to give KUIU a shot this year. Everyone that has it has nothing but good to say about it.

Lawnboi

WKR
I think that after messing around with gore tex and the ultralight raingear, I am going to give KUIU a shot this year. Everyone that has it has nothing but good to say about it.

iv only had it out once since I got it. Worked very well in a pretty crazy storm. And its HIGH quality! You won't be disappointed.

I carry a set of Cabelas Space Rain gear in my pack. It's really light and packs small, but doesn't breathe well and isn't very durable. It's fine for sitting out a storm for an hour but you wouldn't want to do much actual hiking in it.

Sooner or later I will have to step it up and get something better.

B

bearguide

space rain works great in wyo, but not in long heavy rain like in alaska

dotman

WKR
The issue I have with the ultralite stuff is any faith in it lasting more then a day in the brush. A little weight will probably make a diff in days after day of use.

This will be my first year taking a rain jacket but I ended up deciding at a minimum it had to be over 13oz otherwise I might as well stick to a garbage bag.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
eVent rain shells are the best I've used for keeping water out and breathing well. Rab and Westcomb both make great eVent gear. The Westcomb Specter LT is the best I've used. Would really like to try out of some of the newer materials (Polartec's NeoShell, Gore Active Shell).

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have used Integral Designs Thru-Hiker for 2 solid season and I REALLY like it. Mine in size medium is less than 11 oz and have more than proven durable enough for a couple trips to Kodiak among a bunch of other days in the field a lot of which was in the pouring rain. Really a shame they still don't make it as its a killer shell!!!

Here is the specs on it:
http://www.prolitegear.com/integral_designs_event_thru_hiker_jacket.html

Just goes to show that if made right it can be light, waterproof, and durable. But usually you give up one of those three when it comes to rain gear. My Kuiu Rain gear is 50% heavier, but I really like it as well. Though for a lot of my summer excursions I'll save the weight and run the ID thru-hiker.

Last edited:

philw

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a set of Cabelas Space Rain gear in my pack. It's really light and packs small, but doesn't breathe well and isn't very durable. It's fine for sitting out a storm for an hour but you wouldn't want to do much actual hiking in it.

Sooner or later I will have to step it up and get something better.

+1, that's what I carry in the pack, the good thing about it is it's small and light enough that I'm never tempted to leave it in camp. For heading out in the rain, as opposed to being caught out in the rain, I go with something more durable.

D

david long

+1, that's what I carry in the pack, the good thing about it is it's small and light enough that I'm never tempted to leave it in camp. For heading out in the rain, as opposed to being caught out in the rain, I go with something more durable.
+2, Cabela's Space Rain gear is perfect for all western hunting. It actually holds up fairly well considering how lightweight it is. I agree with bearguide though, I wouldn't even think about taking it to Alaska.....but then again, it wasn't designed for that.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Come on now David, we are as west as you can get without going to Russia. We don't get to be included in "western hunting." :D

KWest141

FNG
Do you guys carry both top and bottoms of raingear or just a jacket??? I see that Cabelas has the Space rain on sale right now. Prolly about to order some. lol

D

david long

KWest141.....yes, I pack both top and bottom.....the space rain is so light and compact there is no reason not to.

Luke.....you are so far west and north that I consider you a different country :)

+2, Cabela's Space Rain gear is perfect for all western hunting. It actually holds up fairly well considering how lightweight it is. I agree with bearguide though, I wouldn't even think about taking it to Alaska.....but then again, it wasn't designed for that.
Or the Washington cascades in my opinion.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Cabelas space rain gear and after my 6th year of it I ripped the pant leg at the top of my boot. I bought the bibs instead of pants. I would buy another set of bibs but I don't think they make bibs anymore. That said, for the money and limited use, I keep a set in my pack.