Lightweight Rear Bags and fill

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious what everyone is using to fill their rear bags for hunting. I have tried airsoft BBs (too heavy for backcountry hunts), shredded memory foam ( light but "bouncy" the rifle literally bounced with my heart beat) the best I have found so far has been a corn cob media that was actually intended for a rodent cage, but works well and seems to be bleached to the point where you can actually smell it, but its still organic and prone to rot/possibly mold if it gets wet.
I am really tempted to buy one of Jeff's bags on long range only, it looks pretty sweet, but its still a bit heavier than i want to pack for more than a couple miles.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
git-lite fill. your welcome.

Or just buy one of jeffs bags they are fantastic.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I have plenty of cube/can shaped bags, i like the way a wedge shaped bag fits a McMillan Game Warden but i am intrigued by that SAP bag.

Broz

WKR
We added a 3rd option to our Hunter Wedge collection. "Hunters Wedge Mini" Only available in git lite fill and shorter for a more compact bag if you want smaller and lighter. About 3" shorter and 5 oz. lighter than the gitlite Hunters Wedge model.

Lawnboi

WKR
I had a few bags with the styrofoam beads, super light but I didn’t care for shooting off it.

I have one bag with git lite fill, really like it. It shouldn’t rot if wet or hold moisture, is sufficiently light for me, and is pretty stable.

My personal do everything hunting bag is now a pint sized game changer with git lite fill. Front or rear rear, and everything in between. Throw it on a tripod head, stand, or log. And it does not give up much in the rear. I actually prefer it over some of the other really light option Iv tried.

Best yet I use the heavier version for rifle matches, makes transitioning easy.

carter33

WKR
I have tried a handful and think it is one of those things where no one bag is perfect in all scenarios. That being said I opted to go the route of choosing one and sticking to it in order to be consistent. The one I chose is the smaller TAB gear rear bag.

It has the light fill which I think is the same or at least very similiar to the “git lite” fill. Mine was soaked for about a week straight and I never tried to dry it out or give it any special attention and it held up great with no issues in regards to moisture or drying out just fine after the hunt was complete.

archp625

WKR
Just man up and buy the get lite wedge from Longrangeonly.com. Its legit. I shoot off mine all the time and will be carrying it in November for a MT deer hunt.

WRO

WKR

My phoenix shooting solutions bag is money as is the Ass Pad

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I found one for $30 at Sportsmans made by Vital Impact with a bean bag type fill that is going to work great for this trip. It only weighs 5 ounces and seems pretty solid when put a rifle on it. I am still going to buy one from Broz but that one is a little heavier than I want to pack around in the Frank. Thanks everyone for your input.

Broz

WKR
There is a give and take between super light and stability with rear bags. Same as there is with rifle weight. It depends on many factors, but when it is go time, I will take stability all day long for a longer poke.

Reactions: FLS

mabrams

FNG
I have a lot of bags and found that I use my Cabelas rain pants that are stuffed in a very small bag to work great and it serves two purposes. I'm learning to minimalize my gear.

tacsled

FNG
To save weight I use my rolled up TAG bags in the sack they came in. Doesn't work as well as a dedicated rear bag but works pretty good and saved me a full pound over the light weight dedicated rear bags I've used in the past.