Lightweight reflective cordage/tensioners

Looking to upgrade my guyline's to some reflective cordage.
Right now between Lawsons or what is offered by zpacks.
What are you guys using and with which tensioners? Between using the micro line lok's if i went with the lawsons 2mm glowire or the lineloc 3's if i went with the 3mm.
Typical overthinking situation going on here but I'm also trying to distract my mind while I wait to watch my zag's in the final four :cool:

I bought some 1.8 mm reflective cord from Ebay that seems really nice. Came from China so it took a couple weeks. I just use a taught line knot for tensioning.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I've been very happy with the 2mm Lawsons glowire; I don't have any experience with the zpacks cordage or the Lawsons tensioners as I use a bowline/hitch system to tighten everything down.

This link describes how to do it well - My guyline & tension system for tents, tarps, and hammocks

If you want the lightest weight, most versatile option, this is probably it.

has anybody tried out that ThreeBulls 1.8mm reflective cord they sell on Amazon? It's cheaper than everything else i've found, $7 for 20 meters, so wondering if it's any good.

72" Green 2mm Glowire and Farrimond hitch for guylines.

24" of Orange 2mm Glowire and Cord Lock 10 for the ground level stake loops.

Go Heels!

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
You can get a 100' roll of reflective paracord at Home Cheapo for $3.50. Its not super strong like the Dyneema stuff....I think its 160# rated which is plenty for most guyouts.

"I bought some 1.8 mm reflective cord from Ebay that seems really nice. Came from China so it took a couple weeks. I just use a taught line knot for tensioning."

I did the same thing but used amazon, less bulk and less weight plus the reflective line is nice at night

ljalberta

WKR
I'm using Lawson 2mm Glowire on my tarp I carry - great stuff. I also purchased 10 of their bar tensioners, but haven't used them as I've stuck with the hitch knots outlined on Skurka's link above.

has anybody tried out that ThreeBulls 1.8mm reflective cord they sell on Amazon? It's cheaper than everything else i've found, $7 for 20 meters, so wondering if it's any good.
Yes this what I use, works good .
I use it for zipper pulls too instead of the 550 cords one or metal pull tabs

I have some 2mm rated for 400lbs or something like that. I threw it in my kill kit for hanging game bags instead of 550 cord also

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using the Lawson Reflective Glowire and a tautline hitch knot on my shelters. It works well, is as light as you will ever get, and has held up very well. It's slightly slick, but not enough that the knot will slip like some other lines out there, and that's why I just put in another order to have a little extra in my gear so I can completely loose the 550 cord.

JDZ

WKR
Anybody use the 1.1 or 1.25 mm line from Z Packs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody use the 1.1 or 1.25 mm line from Z Packs?

I replace all my paracord lanyards and pull cords with the orange reflective 1.1mm line and yellow 1.25mm line. I also use the 1.25mm line in the Redcliff as a sort of clothesline to hang stuff for drying.

I'm not sure what would be gained by using it as a guyline versus the 2mm Glowire or something similar. The thinner lines aren't nearly as easy to handle or knot. I briefly considered using it, but the 2mm lines just seem so much easier to use that the weight saving isn't worth it.

But, JMHO. Some people may prefer it.

JDZ

WKR
I bought some 1.25 with the intention of using it as clothes line inside my tent and also guy lines, but haven't actually used it yet. Do the micro line locks work on the 1.1 or 1.25?

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
Not to sound like a smart ass but why not learn some knots? You can do a lot with a few types. Useful ones for pitching campsites are bowline, prusik, and any of the hitches (I use truckers a lot)

JDZ

WKR
Not to sound like a smart ass but why not learn some knots?
Point well taken. I do use some other knots and want to learn more. I asked about the micro line locks, because I USP said the smaller lines don't knot as well.

Point well taken. I do use some other knots and want to learn more. I asked about the micro line locks, because I USP said the smaller lines don't knot as well.

The 1.1mm will likely hold a knot fine, but the size makes it a bit aggravating to use for something like a guyline.

The 1.25mm line is very, very stiff. I use a perfection loop on each end and Lark's head one end to a mitten hook. That seems to work ok, but I'd be a little leery of trusting it to something that would see tension and vibration.

As far as knots and hitches for use with guylines, I recently switched to the Farrimond hitch. I cannot recommend it enough.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider

Do you mean tie well or untie well? Or both?

Do you mean tie well or untie well? Or both?

1.1mm - seems to hold knots fine. Untying and handling is aggravating.

1.25mm - Doesn't knot well with the knots I use. Don't think I'd trust it under tension/vibration. Very stiff.