Lightweight replacement poles for Montana Decoy

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone come up with a lightweight replacement for the poles that come with Montana decoys? It looks like the manufacturer makes lightweight aluminup poles for about $40, but that seems pretty steep.
I have a "Miss September" and the poles weigh almost as much as my shelter.

I agree, the MD poles are way too heavy for the backcountry. I poked a small hole and used some cord to make a loop, this makes it easy to use solo and to hang on a small branch near your setup:DSC_0794.jpgDSC_0795.jpg

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I found a place that makes replacement carbon fiber tent poles. I am going to talk to them tomorrow and will update this post when I find out if they can make them and how much they are.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I talked with the guys at Fibraplex and they can make them with a pointy steel tip for $53 per pair. At right around 3 oz. per pair (compared to almost 22 oz. for the original poles) this is tempting, but I'm a little worried that they may be a little too flexible if the wind comes up.

Anyway, maybe this would make a good Rokslide group buy to drive down price if anyone else is interested...

slim9300

WKR
I talked with the guys at Fibraplex and they can make them with a pointy steel tip for $53 per pair. At right around 3 oz. per pair (compared to almost 22 oz. for the original poles) this is tempting, but I'm a little worried that they may be a little too flexible if the wind comes up.

Anyway, maybe this would make a good Rokslide group buy to drive down price if anyone else is interested...

I'm in. :)

I have one and didn't take it last year due to the weight of the poles so I guess I would be interested. $53 is a bit steep.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
rye, I have a Fibraplex pole in my Hilleberg Akto, and they are fairly stout. Depending on the length you need I would think they would be ok. You could also use a little paracord and tie it to something also.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I use my hand and hold the thing while I call.....maybe move it around a bit too.

Hunting partner is the shooter.

Otherwise it's got the standard paracord loop but I can't say I've ever used it.