Lightweight rifle build for 3k

Wapiti87

FNG
Hey guys, so I’m building a lightweight hunting rifle and I have 3 k to spend for the whole outfit. The trick is I would like to share it with my young son. We live in Colorado and will be hunting pretty much everything the state has to offer. I’m an archery guy buying my first rifle so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Just curious what you more experienced guys would buy. Thanks!

Vandy321

WKR
I put together a 5lb tikka (7RM) with a zeiss V4 for $2500 with optic, was about $1700 rifle and rings. Wildcat stock, Yo Dave spring, titanium bolt handle, a powder coat job, all bedded in the titanium/aluminum bedding kit, hawkins tikka rings and done. Including smith fees...

If I recall I'm at 7lb 3 oz out the door, unloaded. Most importantly, it's it's 1/2moa rifle with factory ammo out to max effective for big game with federal 168 bergers

Last edited:

Brianb3

WKR
Defiance anti action 1-1.4k
Carbon 6 barrel will save you $ for a light weight $650
Stock you could use a peak 44 at 21oz n 650$
Trigger 250-3
Smith 800-1200
Probably be in the 6lb range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharing with a small child is the kicker. Lightweight = heavy recoil. Also you'll need adjustability for length of pull and maybe cheek riser.

I have the same predicament and I'm leaning towards just buying a Sig Cross in 6.5 CM, or maybe a Fierce Reaper if I can stomach the price. Put a good brake or silencer on it, but recoil will probably still be an issue for my sons.

Right now they love shooting my Bergara HMR in 6.5CM but it's heavy...

Sharing with a small child is the kicker. Lightweight = heavy recoil. Also you'll need adjustability for length of pull and maybe cheek riser.

I have the same predicament and I'm leaning towards just buying a Sig Cross in 6.5 CM, or maybe a Fierce Reaper if I can stomach the price. Put a good brake or silencer on it, but recoil will probably still be an issue for my sons.
You would be better off buying a couple of rifles so you each have one. I tried sharing a rifle with my wife her first season and after that she got all her own stuff.

You could buy a TIkka Superlite of your choice and a Tikka/Ruger compact for the son and still have half the money for a couple of scopes.

Really there are so many great rifles out there you could easily set the 2 of you up with rifles.

The SIG is a good plan if you need to share.

madcalfe

WKR
ohh ill play.
defiance anti or bat bumblebee action
ibi, proof, or paradigm carbon barrel in 20-22" with 5/8thx24 threading
pva ultralight jetblast brake
triggertech special trigger
any stock of your choosing id probably go with a gunworks clymber
chambered in 7SS

Another vote for 2 rifles.

Go around to some gun shops and see how you like the fit and feel. If you’re going to buy without getting your hands on it just go ahead and get 2 Tikkas.

sram9102

WKR
Its hard to beat the ability to adjust everything with a chassis. LOP, comb height, etc. Works great as your son grows. My kiddo has started talking about wanting to shoot a deer so I have been looking at adding some weight to mine to eliminate any recoil.

cmahoney

WKR
I put together a 5lb tikka (7RM) with a zeiss V4 for $2500 with optic, was about $1700 rifle and rings. Wildcat stock, Yo Dave spring, titanium bolt handle, a powder coat job, all bedded in the titanium/aluminum bedding kit, hawkins tikka rings and done. Including smith fees...

If I recall I'm at 7lb 3 oz out the door, unloaded. Most importantly, it's it's 1/2moa rifle with factory ammo out to max effective for big game with federal 168 bergers

What does that wildcat stock weigh?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As mentioned above it is difficult to beat the adjustability of chassis systems to allow fitment to different shooters of different builds. We are a small business located here in Colorado and if you are ever in the western slope come stop by the shop and say hi! Or give us a call or email to discuss options that can be tailored to your needs.

For 3k you could get a Tikka t3 lite, cut and thread the barrel and put a suppressor on it and have a chunk left over for a good scope.
Light - check
Light recoil - check
safer for young ears - check

Buy a rifle that provides ample adjustment such as the Savage 110 Storm Lightweight.

Choose a cartridge that has enough oomph yet light on recoil. A 7mm-08 is a great example.

Dad can run full powered ammo and the kid can run reduced loads. Put a Limbsaver on it to further help with recoil.

Run your preferred scope. The Zeiss v4, Razor LHT, and the NF SHV are popular for a reason.

Dad and child can take a shooting class to learn how to properly shoot a firearm.

This isn’t sexy and the elites will look down on you in disgust. But it’ll be lethal, a joy to carry, allows for growth, and won’t become obsolete.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I’m gonna hit you with the cheap dad perspective. Maybe not so much cheap as more so bang for your buck.

Build 2 guns. Build your kiddo a Hobbit Rifle.

The Hobbit Rifle

Over the years you can get different calibers for your kiddo to age with. If you want to hunt muzzleloader seasons, you can get a .50 barrel for it and be set. Pretty awesome tool, those T/C Encores.

Then for yourself. Get a cheap ruger American or tikka t3x. Go to: https://preferredbarrelblanks.com

and get a prefit screw on carbon wrapped barrel and swap out the factory one for the Preferred barrel blank on and you’re off to the races. Should have money leftover for a decent scope. Trade out the stock on down the road if you end up shooting it enough to want too.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't put that much into, or build anything for my first rifle.

But something used that you think would fit the bill, or new is fine too....

Find out what you like, don't like, and what you'd like to change.

You'll be way ahead when you get ready to build, and might find a factory rifle will do everything you want/need for a fraction of the price.

Kimber Montanas have sent a lot of my custom builds down the road.

B23

WKR
It sounds like you'll likely be shooting factory ammo so my vote would be one or two Tikka's. Maybe something in a 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC and the other in a 300 WSM and I'd put a brake on just about any of them you plan to get.

Be careful focusing on the "light weight" part. The only thing I've found that's good about a light gun is packing it around, everything else not so great.