Lightweight rifle parts

I’m going to have a lightish rifle put together. Looking for a little help on some of the parts. It’s going to be a long action 30 cal. Probably 300wm or 30 Nosler. Going with a Proof SL. Manners stock. TT trigger. Not sure on the action but I will be ordering it tomorrow.

For some of the small stuff I’m looking at the MBM TI beast brake. Any other brake out there I should take a look at?
Bottom metal I’m just planning on aluminum bdl. Any suggestions for aluminum bottom metal?

I would appreciate any suggestions on keeping the weight down. Not looking for an ultralight rifle. But I do want it on the lighter side so I can use a heavier scope and still have a decent weight rifle. Thinking around the 6lb area for the bare rifle without scope and rings would be a nice place to start.

Regards, Branden

Just posted this in another thread as well. Hope this helps.

I just built a new rifle that I will be using for my pack hunts. I had an in between rifle that I would swap out to a carbon barrel for hunting but finally decided a dedicated lighter hunting rifle is what I wanted and I have been happy so far.

With no bipod(I shoot off a tripod) or muzzle attachment(I use a can so add 1lb roughly) my rifle came in at right under 10lbs. I could have shaved a little weight going with a BDC type scope but I prefer adjustable turrets and FFP. Also could have dropped a little on the bottom metal but I am just partial to the beefiness of badger. Mine is off a custom action but if you use a 700 it would be pretty much the same weight.

It is a 22" winmag and I am currently getting 3000fps with a 180gr berger elite hunter. The stock and scope I picked are where a big portion of the weight savings came in.

Specs on mine are:

Bighorn SR3 Long Action

22" Proof Research CF Sendero Barrel

Manners EH5A

March 3-24x44 scope(I think I got the objective size right, 44 or 42 maybe?)

Triggertech Special

Badger Hinged Bottom Metal
6edb66c7ce6dc9e45d38a66cbb902e1e.jpg
647b9816860a90a3d56a2f6f7d16bd86.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Just posted this in another thread as well. Hope this helps.

I just built a new rifle that I will be using for my pack hunts. I had an in between rifle that I would swap out to a carbon barrel for hunting but finally decided a dedicated lighter hunting rifle is what I wanted and I have been happy so far.

With no bipod(I shoot off a tripod) or muzzle attachment(I use a can so add 1lb roughly) my rifle came in at right under 10lbs. I could have shaved a little weight going with a BDC type scope but I prefer adjustable turrets and FFP. Also could have dropped a little on the bottom metal but I am just partial to the beefiness of badger. Mine is off a custom action but if you use a 700 it would be pretty much the same weight.

It is a 22" winmag and I am currently getting 3000fps with a 180gr berger elite hunter. The stock and scope I picked are where a big portion of the weight savings came in.

Specs on mine are:

Bighorn SR3 Long Action

22" Proof Research CF Sendero Barrel

Manners EH5A

March 3-24x44 scope(I think I got the objective size right, 44 or 42 maybe?)

Triggertech Special

Badger Hinged Bottom Metal
6edb66c7ce6dc9e45d38a66cbb902e1e.jpg
647b9816860a90a3d56a2f6f7d16bd86.jpg

Nice rifle but I wouldn’t consider it lightweight.

Nice rifle but I wouldn’t consider it lightweight.
Light is a relative term. There are areas I wanted certain things so I got the lightest of those I could find.

If I cant comfortably shoot a rifle that is 2lbs lighter, that weight savings didnt do me any good.

Just for reference the scope and rings are a couple lbs so this rifle is probably 1.5-2lbs heavier than what the OP was looking for.

In comparison to a 20lb match rifle that I normally shoot its extremely light.

Whisky

WKR
Light is a relative term. There are areas I wanted certain things so I got the lightest of those I could find.

If I cant comfortably shoot a rifle that is 2lbs lighter, that weight savings didnt do me any good.

Just for reference the scope and rings are a couple lbs so this rifle is probably 1.5-2lbs heavier than what the OP was looking for.

In comparison to a 20lb match rifle that I normally shoot its extremely light.

I have been considering a 22" 300wm build also, to be more handy with a suppressor on. I would shave at least 2lbs from your build by going to a Ti action and non adjustable stock. I figure WITH suppressor, ammo, optics and bipod I could end up around 10lbs.

If I was ordering parts today I would be going with the LPA Fuzion Ti.... Hawkins Precision aluminum bottom metal.

Hawkins Precision Rem 700 LA BDL Oberndorf Bottom Metal - CORE Shooting Solutions

The EH2 would be my stock choice as well!

I have been considering a 22" 300wm build also, to be more handy with a suppressor on. I would shave at least 2lbs from your build by going to a Ti action and non adjustable stock. I figure WITH suppressor, ammo, optics and bipod I could end up around 10lbs.

If I was ordering parts today I would be going with the LPA Fuzion Ti.... Hawkins Precision aluminum bottom metal.

Hawkins Precision Rem 700 LA BDL Oberndorf Bottom Metal - CORE Shooting Solutions

The EH2 would be my stock choice as well!
I think you could do that easily!

The badger bottom metal I chose was about 8oz heavier than standard floor plates and the adjustable stock does add a bit of weight.

I have been pleasantly suprised with speeds I am getting currently.

tdhanses

WKR
Hawkins makes a great lightweight bottom metal worth considering, I like mine.

Also a wildcat composite stock could drop more weight then a McMillian stock with lightweight ultra fill or whatever they call it. Think my finished McMillian is 28oz but I bet a Wildcat could be finished off around 20oz with a flip flop butt pad.

OP
dirtytough
I'm not trying to build an extreme lightweight. Just something in the 6lb range so I can be around 8.5ish with an X5.

Honkey those are nice looking guns but pretty heavy for what I'm trying to do.

tdhanses I looked at them and might use one of their stocks for an extreme ultralight I'm going to build. But I already ordered the Manners.

I looked at the Hawkins and they also have a set of rings I think I will go with.

Wrench

WKR
Hawkins bottom metal "look" like rem just like their rings "look" like talley.... until you have both in your hands. The bottom metal is way superior and the rings are not even the same zip code. Hawkins by a mile.

gbflyer

WKR
I just did a lighter build. Or so I thought. I screwed myself with the barrel, went with a Remington standard sporter contour.

Borden Mountaineer (short action)
22” 7-08
McMillan CF Hunters Edge w/1” Decel pad
BDL Aluminum bottom metal
TT trigger (my first...friggin sweet, better than Jewel for hunting gun)
Talley Lightweights
Sightron MTAC 2-10

7# 12.5oz empty

I was shooting for mid - 6’s. It’s all in the barrel, should have done a pencil but I don’t like that with my can.

What’s the barrel weigh in at?
Weight breakdown will be something like this:

Stock: 26 oz
Brake 2 oz
Ti LA: 20 oz
Trigger: 2 oz
Rings: 4.5 oz
Bottom metal with box/spring/follower: 7 oz
Action screw: 1 oz
Barrel: ???

That puts you at 3.9 lbs without the barrel. Even a #3 steel barrel is listed at 3.3 lbs for a 26” barrel. Knock off 2 oz per 1” barrel length cuts it down to 45 oz or so. That puts you just under 7 lbs.

Not sure how much the Proof barrels weight but 6.5-6.75 lbs should be doable depending on the barrel weight. 6 lbs flat is a tough goal for a long action.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR

Brake 2 oz

That puts you at 3.9 lbs without the barrel. Even a #3 steel barrel is listed at 3.3 lbs for a 26” barrel. Knock off 2 oz per 1” barrel length cuts it down to 45 oz or so. That puts you just under 7 lbs.

Not sure how much the Proof barrels weight but 6.5-6.75 lbs should be doable depending on the barrel weight. 6 lbs flat is a tough goal for a long action.

Mike

Yeah I think my SA came in at around 6lbs 8oz all in including rings. Only way I could see going sub 6lbs with it is using a Wildcat composite stock and really it isn’t worth it.

gbflyer

WKR
I’m right at 6# 8oz without the scope. I didn’t weight the barrel separate but I will. Also tried a lighter 4.5-14 VX3, wasn’t a heck of a lot of difference, couple oz.

This Borden is a little heavier than a Remington. It’s a cylinder.

OP
dirtytough

Brake 2 oz

Mike

I agree 6 might be pushing it. A guy on here built a 28 nosler right at 6lbs. Proof, pierce ti, manners. If it’s 6.5 plus another 30oz for the X5 I’m still at 8.5ish. I’ll weigh the barrel tomorrow if I have time. How much weight do you lose from threading and chambering it? A couple ounces?

I agree 6 might be pushing it. A guy on here built a 28 nosler right at 6lbs. Proof, pierce ti, manners. If it’s 6.5 plus another 30oz for the X5 I’m still at 8.5ish. I’ll weigh the barrel tomorrow if I have time. How much weight do you lose from threading and chambering it? A couple ounces?

I probably read over it but what chamber are you using? Typically chambering/threading will cut 2-3 oz out.

OP
dirtytough
It’s going to be either a 300wm or a 30 nosler. I like the Nosler case design better but dislike the lack of brass.

It’s going to be either a 300wm or a 30 nosler. I like the Nosler case design better but dislike the lack of brass.

I’ve only built 2 30 noslers but they’ve both been stupidly accurate, just like the 28’s. The winmags shoot fantastic as well, but I think the Nosler edges it out in inherent accuracy. You could always do a 30-28Nosler....

I’d imagine you’ll cut 2.2-2.5 oz off for chambering. If the barrel is a raw blank cut another 3 oz for the 1/2” that needs to be taken off the back of the blank.

Mike

Brendan

WKR
Mike built this 300WM for me. LPA Razor TI, 26" bbl, brake, X5, manners EH1. Unloaded.

(That picture was a quick test fit with nothing fastened down)
db767ed4d59f29615e47f7620c8cfd76.jpg