Lightweight Rifles with 5/8x24 Barrel Threads?

Bspidell

FNG
Hi, I'm new to posting on the forum, so hopefully I'm posting in the right place. I'm currently looking for a lightweight rifle that comes with 5/8x24 muzzle threads for my suppressor. The Barrett Fieldcraft would have checked every one of my boxes, but since they aren't really available right now, I'm looking elsewhere. I currently have a CGS Hyperion on order, and it has a fixed mount with 5/8x24 threads.

- I'd like the rifle to weigh under 6lbs
- Total weight of 7.5lbs with scope and suppressor if possible
- My scope and rings are about 14o z and the suppressor is on the heavy side at 15oz
- Prefer not to deal with a thread adapter if I can
- 18" barrel
- Offered in 6.5CM or 7mm-08
- Prefer to keep the cost under $2k for the rifle

I have thought hard about waiting for a Kimber Adirondack to show up in stock, but then I'd have to use an adapter and deal with possible tolerance stacking. I have looked at the Seekins Havak Element and it looks nice but is a bit too expensive and has a longer barrel than I'm looking for.

I currently have a Tikka T3 that I could rebarrel, but it shoots great already and kind of want something new anyway.

Does anyone know of some rifles that fit what I'm looking for?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bergara Ridge 18” short barrel and then get an AG Composite carbon fiber stock. Sell the Bergara stock and get a Trigger Tech or Timney trigger.

Bergara actions are nice and barrels shoot great.

OP
B

Bspidell

FNG
Bergara Ridge 18” short barrel and then get an AG Composite carbon fiber stock. Sell the Bergara stock and get a Trigger Tech or Timney trigger.

I will definitely look into those. I saw them in my initial search, but thought they'd be too heavy based on what the website says. Do you know how much weight the stock would save? Is it like a pound or so?

Gorp2007

WKR
You could always buy another Tikka, put on a custom barrel with the Fieldcraft bell to 5/8, and throw it in an aftermarket stock.

Or ship it to WTO and have them install their switchbarrel lug, convert your factory barrel, and spin up a new barrel. Stays under your 2K budget and lets you switch back and forth.

CoStick

WKR
Reach out to thunder beast. They can thread in house some pretty thin barrels. My Fieldcraft and kimber will be getting it done.

Reach out to thunder beast. They can thread in house some pretty thin barrels. My Fieldcraft and kimber will be getting it done.
I had ThunderBeast cut down and thread my Tikka lite and install one of their CB brakes. Good work and quick turn around.

ElPollo

WKR

I believe Bergaras have proprietary bottom metal so there would be that extra expense. Either way though, I doubt the OP would be able to get one of these below 7# bare. To hit his weight goal, he is going to need a bare gun that is 5.4-5.6#. There aren’t many of those out there. For the money, a T3x rebarreled with a factory stock gets you around 5.75#. Beyond that, you either have to play the Kimber lottery or layout cash for a used Fieldcraft or a NULA.

Ratbeetle

WKR
It would come in a bit over weight, but the x bolt speed suppressor ready looks intriguing. 6lbs 2oz for the 18" 6.5cm and the barrel is flared for 5/8-24.

I really wish they offered it in 7mm08.

OP
B

Bspidell

FNG
I appreciate all the suggestions and I will be looking into all of them.

Does anyone have experience with using a thread adapter to go from a smaller thread up to 5/8x24?

If you double check alignment with a rod and rocksett the adapter on, would that be enough to avoid problems in the future? I've seen some people have issues with them and some don't.

I don't want to risk an expensive suppressor if there is a better option. But the adapter plus getting a barrel threaded cost a lot less than a gunsmith installing a new barrel.

CoStick

WKR

Does anyone have experience with using a thread adapter to go from a smaller thread up to 5/8x24?

If you double check alignment with a rod and rocksett the adapter on, would that be enough to avoid problems in the future? I've seen some people have issues with them and some don't.

I don't want to risk an expensive suppressor if there is a better option. But the adapter plus getting a barrel threaded cost a lot less than a gunsmith installing a new barrel.
Thunder beast said they would not recommend it, the pressure from their cans need at least 5/8. They were pretty adamant. Many do it though. After speaking with them, I using their recommendations. Might be different for other cans.

OP
B

Bspidell

FNG
Thunder beast said they would not recommend it, the pressure from their cans need at least 5/8. They were pretty adamant. Many do it though. After speaking with them, I using their recommendations. Might be different for other cans.
I've read that quite a few suppressor companies don't recommend it also.

I guess I need to make friends with a smith and either buy a heavy barreled rifle with 5/8x24 threads and have them reprofile the barrel to save weight, then drop it in an aftermarket composite stock.

Or rebarrel a rifle with a Fieldcraft style flared barrel to get the proper threads.

weaver

WKR
Adco firearms can add a shoulder on a skinny barrel for a suppressor to fit against. Believe grumpy sin Texas can as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then why do they sell smaller mounts?

slowelk

WKR
You can thread the tikka barrel using a muzzle shoulder, but you’ll need the cgs adapter. Any CGS can must have a minimum of 0.735” behind the threads to shoulder the can on. If not, you need the adapter.

I spoke with the designer, Josh, about this.

Attachments

• AB555D3C-ADEF-4537-9652-9A7A70BC8F7D.jpeg
    AB555D3C-ADEF-4537-9652-9A7A70BC8F7D.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 3052807E-38C8-44BA-836C-340972BBA8D3.jpeg
    3052807E-38C8-44BA-836C-340972BBA8D3.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 48

slowelk

WKR

You’d be stacking too many tolerances going with an adapter to the cgs adapter. Like I said in my previous post, you need 0.735” behind the threads OR the cgs adapter that only comes in 5/8x24.