Lightweight Rifles with 5/8x24 Barrel Threads?

Gorp2007

WKR

CoStick

WKR

They specifically say 9/16 is good up to 30 caliber. Now, there's a difference between a 308 and a 300 Wby Mag, but if they were really that dead set against shooting a .308 projectile through a 9/16 mount, they wouldn't post it for all the world to see.

What thread pattern should I get for my .30 caliber rifle?​

From their tech section, plus I have spoken to them. They have great CS. Was just sharing what they told me. Proceed as you like.
  1. Zak SmithOperations​

• Instructor
      Zak Smith

We strongly recommend a standard 5/8-24 thread; however, we can do any thread pitch.

Gorp2007

WKR

What thread pattern should I get for my .30 caliber rifle?​

From their tech section, plus I have spoken to them. They have great CS. Was just sharing what they told me. Proceed as you like.
  1. Zak SmithOperations​

• Instructor
      Zak Smith

Correct, if you're starting from scratch and you can pick any barrel profile you want, they recommend a 5/8. But if you're starting with a factory barrel, that isn't an option if you want your barrel longer than 15 inches. In those situations, 9/16 is sufficient and likely preferable to stacking tolerances with an adapter. You've also got the option to have them face mount a brake for you. And that's all based off of conversations I've had with their tech support and confirmed on their published tech specs. If they really didn't want you shooting a .308 through a 9/16, they would do the same thing they do with the 1/2" CBs and just make the internal diameter under 0.308 inches.

Something we're all losing sight of is 1) the OP is looking to shoot a 7mm of 6.5mm and 2) he's not shooting a TBAC suppressor, so getting a CB installed doesn't help him at all.

OP
B

Bspidell

FNG
You’d be stacking too many tolerances going with an adapter to the cgs adapter. Like I said in my previous post, you need 0.735” behind the threads OR the cgs adapter that only comes in 5/8x24.
I definitely agree that an adapter on an adapter is asking for problems. I just meant doing one adapter and then direct threading the can on.

OP
B

Bspidell

FNG
Check out Proof Research Elevation. Great rifle at a reasonable price.
That definitely looks nice, but it is a bit out of my price range. Also, it looks like the 6.5cm is only in a 24" barrel. I appreciate the recommendation though.

OP
B

Bspidell

FNG
Adco firearms can add a shoulder on a skinny barrel for a suppressor to fit against. Believe grumpy sin Texas can as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't realize that this was a possibility. I just emailed them asking what the minimum barrel diameter that they can do this on. Thanks for the info, it might really open up my possibilities.

OP
B

Bspidell

FNG
I will definitely look into the Ridgeline.

And in case anyone else is thinking of sending a barrel to ADCO, they said the smallest barrel diameter that they can add a shoulder to and thread 5/8x25 is .635" The shoulder is permanently attached and will only be done by them if they thread the barrel.

ElPollo

WKR
I will definitely look into the Ridgeline.

And in case anyone else is thinking of sending a barrel to ADCO, they said the smallest barrel diameter that they can add a shoulder to and thread 5/8x25 is .635" The shoulder is permanently attached and will only be done by them if they thread the barrel.
Do you how the shoulder is attached?

mcr-85

WKR
I shoot a Tikka superlite that is 1/2-28 with the thread adapter to get to 5/8-24 for my suppressor. 6.5x284 and using a 30 caliber suppressor. I use those adapters on a couple smaller rifles too. They seem fine to me.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Weldor

WKR
I've run my Harvester with adapter's for about 6 years, no problems what so ever. 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 on ,257 Roberts of course 5.56 also. Silencer central even sells you a adapter with their Banish 30. Just my 2 cents. I also have a Roam .308 comes in a 5.5lbs. bare, great shooter. With Sig 12x and Banish right around 7 lbs.

OP
B

Bspidell

FNG
Do you how the shoulder is attached?
I don't know exactly. I asked if it was permanently attached and if I ever had to worry about it coming loose. They said it is permanent and won't come loose, but didn't go into more detail. It looks like it could be soldered on or something though, based on the pics on the website.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I will definitely look into those. I saw them in my initial search, but thought they'd be too heavy based on what the website says. Do you know how much weight the stock would save? Is it like a pound or so?
I just did this. Bought the privateer. It saved like 5 oz.
I also have to get the stock bedded.

OP
B

Bspidell

FNG
So I think that I have got my potential answer. I currently have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08 that is unmodified and weighs just a couple ounces over 7lbs with scope and has been very accurate with everything that I've shot through it.

If I send it off to ADCO to have it threaded 5/8x24 with an added shoulder and have the barrel chopped back from 22" to 17" that should hopefully save me 4 ounces or so based on what I have read on here. (If that number is off, please let me know). That will get me a rifle (98.5oz) with scope (12oz) and suppressor (15.1oz) that weighs right around 7lbs 13.6oz if I have done my math right.

If I decide that this still isn't light enough, then I can buy an aftermarket carbon fiber composite stock to try and save a little more weight. It looks like the Stocky's carbon fiber stock is now as light as 21oz which will save me another 7 or 8oz. Then I would be down to 7lbs 6oz for a complete setup.

I can live with that, because the only way I can get significantly lighter is by starting out with a used Barret Fieldcraft that is threaded for somewhere north of $2k it seems, a Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT for $2300 or to buy a Kimber Adirondack for around $1600 and then use a thread adapter. The method above, should only cost around $200 including shipping to have ADCO properly thread the barrel, and then $600 for an aftermarket stock. So I would be paying $800-$1500 less for a setup that only weighs .5 to .75lbs more.

I can save that weight somewhere else, or work out a little more. Does anyone see a failure in my math or logic? At least avoiding the fact that it is always fun to have a new rifle. I will have an expensive Tikka, but I have seen plenty on here that are more tricked out.

Lawnboi

WKR
If I were you I’d spend the money on another can.

A pound on the end of 7 pound gun is going to throw the balance of the rifle way off. While I’d really like a large diameter long suppressor for some times, on the end of my everyday hunting rifle is not the application I’d choose something like that for.

If I were in your shoes I’d buy an ultra 5 cb, have a face mount brake installed by them at whatever length you want.

Just some food for thought.

OP
B

Bspidell

FNG
If I were you I’d spend the money on another can.

A pound on the end of 7 pound gun is going to throw the balance of the rifle way off. While I’d really like a large diameter long suppressor for some times, on the end of my everyday hunting rifle is not the application I’d choose something like that for.

If I were in your shoes I’d buy an ultra 5 cb, have a face mount brake installed by them at whatever length you want.

Just some food for thought.
That will more than likely happen in the future. I could easily drop 5 or 6 ounces from the suppressor by buying a smaller one, which would lend itself better to hunting. But that purchase will have to be for another time, and at that point this setup would still be able to benefit from the weight loss.