Lightweight Saw

GJ Dave

FNG
I've been packing around a Gerber saw for the last few years to cut the skull cap after caping an animal or for splitting the pelvic bone. Definitely not the smallest or lightest piece of gear I have. Do you have any suggestions for a better option? Thanks

slim9300

WKR
The 15" Sawvivor saw. It's not über light at 9.51 ounces with the bone and wood blades but it's the best out there if you really care about weight and function. It worked great last year for my partner and I. It has way more versatility than the Gerber folding saw. Trust me, I still have 2 of them that I don't use anymore. (even though they work just fine) ;)

Here's a link (scroll down a ways)...

http://www.biggamebags.com/Order_.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
G

GJ Dave

FNG
Appreciate the feedback guys. Looks like some good options. Just curious if anyone has tried a cable type saw for cutting off the skull plate?

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
For several years I used the Gerber saw that the blade retracts into a black tubular plastic handle. It was compact, light, sharp, and cheap at $10. But now they only sell it with a wood blade version model 46048. I cant find the bone blade version anymore and my last one is getting dull. I suspect I'll be finding out how the wood blade does on bone soon.

Mike7

WKR
X's 2 on the Sawvivor. Whenever I am out with my stove, I always take it. It makes it so easy to cut larger dry pieces of wood that are up off of the ground, giving you more good firewood options close to camp. Larger firewood pieces also will burn longer in the stove than smaller branches that can be broken to appropriate length, which is really a time and energy saver I feel. My sawvivor with homemade sheath, two wood blades, and one bone blade is about 12 ounces.

When I'm going lightweight, I don't usually have it on me while hunting, as I will plan on a second trip to go back in to the animal from base camp or the vehicle in order to get the rest of the meat and antlers.

B

bearguide

i leave the saw when i go light weight, but when we take horses i take a cheap campmor

Hardstalk

WKR
I use a pvc cable saw from a hardware store goes in my same pocket as my string.

2rocky

WKR
I still have an old Knapp Sport Saw like the one below.

images

It wont do skull caps but just for ripping through ribs and pelvic bones the yellow Sagen Saw is pretty hard to beat! The handle isn't the best for my big hands but it works better than anything else I have tried for cutting moose ribs into slabs. Well anything that is except a battery powered sawzall!

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
That little gerber sliding saw is only 3.5 ounces and packs pretty compact. The one I have came with the wood blade, but last summer I bought a replacement bone blade (another 1.75 ounces) and carry both with me. They work great.