Lightweight Saw

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I’ve used a silky and it works great and several have purchased however I recently purchased a Suluk so I could change blades and save an ounce or so and saw larger wood to make a camp stool of desired . I haven’t used it yet so I can’t report but it looks like a promising option that might best the silky and a Wyoming saw by a long ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let us know how it works!

smalljaws

FNG
Plenty of good suggestions already, but I have had good luck with the Bob Dustrude Buck Saw. It's probably a little big for what the OP is wanting, but a great design.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Silky Pocketboy 130 vs Pocketboy 130 custom (w/ Silky blade); the original is clearly stouter (all metal), but the lightweight one works very well and as long as you don't abuse it, seems very capable thus far

eeKaMIY.jpg

YtVU4AQ.jpg

U8N2Qkt.jpg

cQTUJtI.jpg

Sled

WKR
Silky Pocketboy 130 vs Pocketboy 130 custom (w/ Silky blade); the original is clearly stouter (all metal), but the lightweight one works very well and as long as you don't abuse it, seems very capable thus far

eeKaMIY.jpg

YtVU4AQ.jpg

U8N2Qkt.jpg

cQTUJtI.jpg

My pocket boy has seen better days while the cheap home depot saw is going strong. My other silky saws are still going as well. What I've noticed is that a bent saw blade will still cut but a broken one is useless. Also I've had the hardware on the pocket boy come loose and get lost. I'd suggest some locktite just in case.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
losing the hardware would not be good!

after trying dozens of different saws, nothing cuts like a Silky- it's all in the blade steel and tooth design, they've got it down

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider

eeKaMIY.jpg

YtVU4AQ.jpg

U8N2Qkt.jpg

cQTUJtI.jpg

Wow! I live the idea of the “custom” silky. Can I ask where you found it? Or did you make it?

fbhandler

WKR

eeKaMIY.jpg

YtVU4AQ.jpg

U8N2Qkt.jpg

cQTUJtI.jpg

mtwarden... it looks like you have both the 130 size, as well as the 170 in the custom. Which one do you prefer ? Would it be possible to get a picture of the two of them together ?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have the 170 any longer; the 170 obviously cuts a little more efficiently (and slightly bigger stuff)

I like to have two blades with me hunting- a coarse (wood) and a fine (ribs/skull cap)- I already had both blades as I had the 130 Pocketboy already- blades are a little spendy (but cut like no others)

rj2

WKR
I've had an 8" corona in my whitetail pack for quite a few years now, has been fine for the limited use it sees. Picked up a 6.5" for backpacking w/ stove to save a few Oz.

Corona 8" = 214g / 7.55oz
Corona 6.5" = 154 / 5.43oz

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
happy to report the saw works very well, at under 3 oz you're not going to notice it in your pack :)
You've got my attention! Just found this thread when searching for a lighter solution than my 6oz Pocket Boy.
I'll have to look up the thread on BPL, unless you've got details to add here?

other things I found are the folding Opinel Saw and this Outdoor Edge Folding Saw. Anyone have experience with these two? I dislike the opinel "hipster legit" knives, but this saw might get me....

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Opinel’s are pretty good saws, I’ve owned both sizes, but the Silky saws cut even better imo