Lightweight Scope for Hunting Rifle (out to 600 yards)

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I’m not a gunsmith, and you may believe anything you want. I’m an adult- I do not have “favorites”. Scopes are nothing but an aiming instrument to me, I could care less who’s name is on them. RDT&E is a part of what I do. I have seen more than 350,000 rounds shot, am on barrel number 8 for rifles, and have evaluated more than 40 scopes since January 1 of this year.

The Razor LH will probably not produce massive issues if a person shoot a relatively limited amount of rounds a year, shoots inside of 300-400 yards on big game, doesn’t dial, and doesn’t expect his scope to remain zeroed if dropped. However, if someone is going to shoot at long range, dial it, and demand that the optic stays zeroed if dropped.... wouldn’t be my first choice.

Appreciate the well wishes, this year it looks like I’ll get to do more western hunting than usual.

In general it will be a 8-10 scopes-

1). Mount the scope in an immovable base and check reticle subtention, adjustment value, and tracking on a tracking board placed at exactly 300.0 feet. It will be checked every .25 MOA/.1 mil for a minimum of 10 mils for elevation- usually through it’s entire adjustment range, and 5 mils for windage. Looking for overall value, consistentcy, and any dead spots/flats spots/hitches/etc in the tracking.

2). While still on the tracking board return to zero is checked, then the turrets are spun for a few thousand mils/MOA up and down each time checking RTZ when returning to the “zero” mark. Every few hundred adjustments tracking is checked again.

3). Mount to a test rifles and zero. Again shoot to confirm adjustment accuracy every mil or 4 MOA, return to zero, and consistency.

4). Zero retention/impact resistance. Zeroed at 100 yards on a 10lb rifle. Rifle is dropped from 12” on grass. First on left side of scope, then right, then top. Checked for POI shift after each drop. If it holds zero through one drop, then three drops on each side from 12”. If it holds zero, then again from 36”.

5). A couple will randomly be picked as abuse scopes. They will purposely pushed until failure. The rest go on rifles and get used normally with zero checks at least every 200 rounds. The abuse scopes will be thrown, beat on, dragged, used as loaner scopes, I.E.-used and shot as much as possible.

When a scope fails- loses zero, fails in adjustments, etc it’s logged and removed from use.

None of the Razor LH’s made it past the tracking board without issue. However being that they are a pure hunting scope, they were shot, but all had zero shifts when dropped. About 20% produced larger group sizes than baseline on the test rifles.

Bases, rings, and rifles are all baselined, and identical. If a scope loses zero from impact, it will be logged, and rezeroed, and tested again. If it loses zero again, a baseline scope (generally NF NXS Milspec) will be mounted, zeroed and drop tested. If it holds zero (it always does) then the test scope is remounted, rezeroed and tested again.
Thanks for the lengthy response to the questions. There's a lot of internet heroes and it's hard when someone puts things so blatantly to really know if they're being legit or talking out of their ass. I definitely feel good about giving the SWFA a try now!

I also went ahead and ordered the Sportsmatch rings. After looking at the weights, it looks like they're actually lighter than the Talley rings. That, and they'll give me more options for mounting positions (if I pull out the recoil pin).

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I also went ahead and ordered the Sportsmatch rings. After looking at the weights, it looks like they're actually lighter than the Talley rings. That, and they'll give me more options for mounting positions (if I pull out the recoil pin).

The Sportsmatch rings are a cherry on top of the system. Very simple, extremely durable, and mount the scope low. I use the recoil pin though. I know dudes haven’t used it, and haven’t had issues, but that’s one of the good designs characteristics for taking impacts.

prm,

I’ve used them, but not enough to state anything definitively. They have worked well so far.

bamagun

FNG
Swarovski Z5 5-25X52 is what I have on my CT EDGE in 270wsm. Think its around 18oz and will have enough turret for that 6.5 to 600. It only has a 1in tube, but allows plenty of light for most "legal shooting light" shots. I think Im about to put a 3-18X50 VX6 on it though, just because.

GPATTI

WKR
Nothing to add, but just had to say, I have almost always bow hunted as well, and more of a gun enthusiast, but JUST bought the exact same gun, doing the exact same as you. I read the post and went....”no sh*t!”

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Nothing to add, but just had to say, I have almost always bow hunted as well, and more of a gun enthusiast, but JUST bought the exact same gun, doing the exact same as you. I read the post and went....”no sh*t!”
Glad all the info provided could help someone else out as well!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Are you being deliberately obtuse? No one is doing a full test cycle on a $400 hunting scope. Nor should they.

If a scope won’t track consistently, won’t adjust correctly and consistently, won’t maintain zero, and breaks there is no reason to go farther.

Last edited:

Bobbyboe

WKR
“prm,

I’ve used them, but not enough to state anything definitively. They have worked well so far.”

Form,

Do you care to share your opinion on the swfa ultralight? I realize you said you haven’t put it through it’s paces, but how has it done in limited action, and with how many rounds? Have you dialed it? Holds zero still?

Thanks!

About once every few months, someone new opens an account, gets a few hundred posts and then calls Form out for his often forward opinion or statements. I wish people would use the search function to establish his credibility so he wouldn't have to re-type this every quarter.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping this thread. I use Zeiss HD5s 3-15x42 scopes on a couple rifles. I find they have good repeatable tracking and locking turrets which prevents being spun when I'm bush bashing (has happened to me on other scopes). They have been very reliable out to 800 yards shooting.

These scopes are 21.1ozs and I'm looking to cut down the weight and have a scope I can swap that doesn't need to necessarily dial, but must always hold zero once set. I live in New Zealand and hunting conditions are often very hilly and wet. Backpacking in is common with long hikes to huts.

What brand/scope models will be in the 3-10X range, lightweight, and will hold zero even when knocked around? Looking for a weight around 10-13ozs. This will be a short-range bush gun with maybe longest shot at 300 yards if in a clearing.

Second, does anyone (@Formidilosus) have reliability data on the Zeiss HD5? I have never had any issues with them but am curious what others have seen. They are discontinued now but are still popular on the used market here in NZ. Would the NF SHV at comparable weight be more reliable?

Cheers.

Last edited:
The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Bumping this thread. I use Zeiss HD5s 3-15x42 scopes on a couple rifles. I find they have good repeatable tracking and locking turrets which prevents being spun when I'm bush bashing (has happened to me on other scopes). They have been very reliable out to 800 yards shooting.

These scopes are 21.1ozs and I'm looking to cut down the weight and have a scope I can swap that doesn't need to necessarily dial, but must always hold zero once set. I live in New Zealand and hunting conditions are often very hilly and wet. Backpacking in is common with long hikes to huts.

What brand/scope models will be in the 3-10X range, lightweight, and will hold zero even when knocked around? Looking for a weight around 10-13ozs. This will be a short-range bush gun with maybe longest shot at 300 yards if in a clearing.

Second, does anyone (@Formidilosus) have reliability data on the Zeiss HD5? I have never had any issues with them but am curious what others have seen. They are discontinued now but are still popular on the used market here in NZ. Would the NF SHV at comparable weight be more reliable?

Cheers.

A fixed power like a Leupold FX-3 6x42 with #4 or heavy duplex reticle might fit what you are looking for.

bamagun

FNG
Swarovski Z5--5-25X52 is around 18oz and is what I have on my ultralight rifle.. The tube is only 1inch, but for that weight its hard to expect much else. Now they make the Z5i line as well.. I just put a VariX 6 on this latest rifle though..

In general it will be a 8-10 scopes-

1). Mount the scope in an immovable base and check reticle subtention, adjustment value, and tracking on a tracking board placed at exactly 300.0 feet. It will be checked every .25 MOA/.1 mil for a minimum of 10 mils for elevation- usually through it’s entire adjustment range, and 5 mils for windage. Looking for overall value, consistentcy, and any dead spots/flats spots/hitches/etc in the tracking.

2). While still on the tracking board return to zero is checked, then the turrets are spun for a few thousand mils/MOA up and down each time checking RTZ when returning to the “zero” mark. Every few hundred adjustments tracking is checked again.

3). Mount to a test rifles and zero. Again shoot to confirm adjustment accuracy every mil or 4 MOA, return to zero, and consistency.

4). Zero retention/impact resistance. Zeroed at 100 yards on a 10lb rifle. Rifle is dropped from 12” on grass. First on left side of scope, then right, then top. Checked for POI shift after each drop. If it holds zero through one drop, then three drops on each side from 12”. If it holds zero, then again from 36”.

5). A couple will randomly be picked as abuse scopes. They will purposely pushed until failure. The rest go on rifles and get used normally with zero checks at least every 200 rounds. The abuse scopes will be thrown, beat on, dragged, used as loaner scopes, I.E.-used and shot as much as possible.

When a scope fails- loses zero, fails in adjustments, etc it’s logged and removed from use.

None of the Razor LH’s made it past the tracking board without issue. However being that they are a pure hunting scope, they were shot, but all had zero shifts when dropped. About 20% produced larger group sizes than baseline on the test rifles.

Bases, rings, and rifles are all baselined, and identical. If a scope loses zero from impact, it will be logged, and rezeroed, and tested again. If it loses zero again, a baseline scope (generally NF NXS Milspec) will be mounted, zeroed and drop tested. If it holds zero (it always does) then the test scope is remounted, rezeroed and tested again.

Impressive. Do you have a short-list of scopes that passed this test beyond the SWFA?

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
Form,
Do the Razor LHT's perform any better than the LH's or have you had a chance to test the LHT's?
Thanks for your time,
BBQ

Form,
Do the Razor LHT's perform any better than the LH's or have you had a chance to test the LHT's?
Thanks for your time,
BBQ
I've been happy with LHT’s. Reticle and locking turret is spot on and weight is good for what you get.

I tend to kill everything, optics being one of them. I've been impressed with durability.

I also run/ran swaro z5, conquest HD5, conquest 4, nightfirce SHV AND march

Cheers.
HD5 is discounted. The v4/v6 replacements are great just they lack the same pop up locking turret the HD5 had.

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone I have seen loses zero from impacts and drops.
Does this translate into tracking issues as well normally or are the internals different for tracking/impact?

Sorry to sound so ignorant but just trying to learn and new to this level of optics understanding.

Thx again

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Does this translate into tracking issues as well normally or are the internals different for tracking/impact?

Sorry to sound so ignorant but just trying to learn and new to this level of optics understanding.

Thx again

I haven’t seen major adjustment or tracking issues with them, however a scope that won’t stayed zeroed from common backcountry handling, isn’t a viable option to me or anyone I hunt with.