Lightweight Scope for Hunting Rifle (out to 600 yards)

rob86jeep

WKR
I've always been more of an archery hunter and gun enthusiast so I don't really know what I'm doing when picking out a new hunting scope. I just bought a Tikka T3X Superlite in 6.5cm and am looking for a scope for Mule Deer/Pronghorn out to about 600 yards. I'm trying to keep the weight down so I'm thinking about a reticle for hold over vs turrets (but not opposed to them). My budget is probably around $400-800 ish. I have a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8 on another rifle which I like a lot (other then the plain duplex reticle) so I'm highly considering another Leupold. My top choices are below...

Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 with B&C reticle
Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 with B&C reticle
Vortex Razor LH 3-15x42 with HSR-4 reticle
Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with BRX reticle (least familiar with Swaro scopes but have heard good things about them for lightweight rifles)

Do you think having a max of 15 magnification vs 10 will be beneficial on a hunting rifle? Any advice on which reticle (between Vortex, Leupold, or Swaro) would work better for accurate shots at distance? I'll also use this gun if I ever go coyote/varmint hunting if that helps.

Thanks!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
None of those. You can hold at 600 but it is much more consistent and predictable to dial.

First and formost zero retention, then correct and consistent adjustments. None of those that you listed will do either one.

These will, and they are the only suitable for general hunting under $800 that will.

SWFA SS 3-9x42mm
SWFA SS 6x42mm MQ
Bushnell LRTS 3-12x44mm.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Whats zero retention? Same thing as zero stop turrets or something different?

I am worried about having exposed turrets on a hunting gun though. Most of my hunting is backpacking in and i've heard a lot of horror stories of people having their turrets getting moved by brush while hiking.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Zero retention= staying sighted in. I.E.- not losing zero.

Properly designed turrets won’t turn accidentally. I carry rifles with scopes and exposed turrets strapped to packs for months a year. I have never had a SWFA SS, LRHS/LRTS, or NF slip a turret. Those scopes, especially the SWFA’s, you must mean to turn the turrets. 600 yards isn't real hard to learn to be competent at, but it’s also far enough to make small errors a big deal. Don’t hamstring yourself out of the gate by sub par equipment.

kad11

WKR
None of those. You can hold at 600 but it is much more consistent and predictable to dial.

First and formost zero retention, then correct and consistent adjustments. None of those that you listed will do either one.

These will, and they are the only suitable for general hunting under $800 that will.

SWFA SS 3-9x42mm
SWFA SS 6x42mm MQ
Bushnell LRTS 3-12x44mm.

Do you have any recommendations for a sub 13 oz, 1 inch scope that will hold zero? I'm assuming you're not a fan of something like the VX Freedom w/ TriMOA reticle then?

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
SWFA SS’s with pack ins, and packouts.

T3x Lite 6.5 Creedmoor with SWFA 3-9x.

T3 223 w/SS 6x

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Do you

Do you have any recommendations for a sub 13 oz, 1 inch scope that will hold zero? I'm assuming you're not a fan of something like the VX Freedom w/ TriMOA reticle then?

SWFA SS Ultralight-

But, why sub 13oz? Scopes are aiming devices and you definitely give up things when trying to get under somewhere around 19-20oz.

kad11

WKR
SWFA SS Ultralight-

But, why sub 13oz? Scopes are aiming devices and you definitely give up things when trying to get under somewhere around 19-20oz.

Backpack sheep hunting with big 5-6k gains and, more often than not, horrendous wind that places my comfortable shooting range at <300 yds anyways.

For backpack elk I typically shoot them in the timber at bow range...

FWIW, I have two SWFA SS scopes (6x moa and 10x mil)that I really like, but for my backpack hunting I'm willing to sacrifice longer range capabilities for weight, simplicity, and a smaller physical size. Id rather not put a big SWFA on a streamlined 5.5# rifle.

I wish the eye relief on that ultralight was better...

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The eye relief is truly not an issue.

I do some relatively involved backpack trips, and having had scope failures 8 miles from the trailhead... I’ll carry the extra 4oz. I know that if one hasn’t experienced it, they may sacrifice for everything to the ounce god, however certain things I just can not see.

kad11

WKR
Whats zero retention? Same thing as zero stop turrets or something different?

I am worried about having exposed turrets on a hunting gun though. Most of my hunting is backpacking in and i've heard a lot of horror stories of people having their turrets getting moved by brush while hiking.

My opinion doesn't carry anything near the weight of Formidilosus', but I don't think you can beat a 6x SWFA for a general purpose rifle. I actually really like the fixed power for the consistency in sight picture and shooting form.

Last edited:
You'd rather it be all sleek and slender for looks only?

What you are really sacrificing is just what form said. Robustness, zero retention and ability to reliably dial comes with a weight penalty. Going too light sometimes make it harder to shoot well at distance for some, too. My Montana with a 3-12 LRHS is still sub 7 pounds

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Just a tick over 6lbs with absolute reliability and true 600m capability is pretty hard to beat.

kad11

WKR
The eye relief is truly not an issue.

I do some relatively involved backpack trips, and having had scope failures 8 miles from the trailhead... I’ll carry the extra 4oz. I know that if one hasn’t experienced it, they may sacrifice for everything to the ounce god, however certain things I just can not see.

The ultralight would be good to go on a bare 5.5# 270 shooting factory 130s at 3100 fps? If so, that's the scope I've been looking for...

To the OP,
I'd look at scopes available in either MOA or Mil reticle configurations versus BDC. It's just so much easier when you know exactly what your corrections are for 4, 5, 600 yds rather than knowing your first BDC subtension represents, for example, 383 yds, second is 467, etc...

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The ultralight would be good to go on a bare 5.5# 270 shooting factory 130s at 3100 fps? If so, that's the scope I've been looking for...

I’ve shot one on a 7.5lb 300 mag and it was fine.

Tell you what- get one, shoot the snot out of it, if it doesn’t work let me know and I’ll buy it from you.

kad11

WKR
You'd rather it be all sleek and slender for looks only?

What you are really sacrificing is just what form said. Robustness, zero retention and ability to reliably dial comes with a weight penalty. Going too light sometimes make it harder to shoot well at distance for some, too. My Montana with a 3-12 LRHS is still sub 7 pounds

No, I guess it's the (maybe dumb) minimalist mindset that I don't want the additional weight if I'm not going to use the features that additional weight provides.

Obviously zero retention is mandatory and decent eye relief is really nice. I'd like those two things ( and nothing else) for as little weight as possible. If 19 oz is the lowest you can go to get those two features then I know what scope to get 😀

Baron85

WKR
I just picked up a new rifle this weekend and bought a vortex hd lh razor 2-10 with g4 bdc reticle. For the price they are selling for right now it’s impossible to beat. I paid around $380 at sportsman’s warehouse on clearance. Glass seems very clear, huge eye box, lots of eye relief, and seems to have great field of view. I’m not impressed with the turrets but not planning on using them for anything but sighting in. I love the simplicity of the reticle. I have other rifles with dialable scopes, tikka 223 AI with bushnell lrhsi 4.5-18, Sako trg 308 with bushnell ers, and beanland 6.5x47L with kahles 6-24. Love being able to dial for long range work but don’t see the need for hunting, just adds another layer of complexity and something else to remember while in the heat of the moment.

As far as mag range I like max around 10x since the subtensions are only accurate at max power I want to keep a bigger field of view while using the drop holds. I usually don’t go above 15ish power on my long range scopes anyways.

Monty3006

FNG
[QUOTE="Formidilosus, post: 1307820, member:]
SWFA SS 3-9x42mm
SWFA SS 6x42mm MQ
Bushnell LRTS 3-12x44mm.
[/QUOTE]

How does the NF SHV 3-10 compare to these?