Dialing Scopes.

mcseal2

WKR
Lots of threads about this. My choice is the Huskemaw scopes. They are over 20oz but not by much. Lots of others like SWFA scopes. Nightforce SHV has fans too. I like the covered elevation turret on the Huskemaw so I know my dial is always set for 200 yards unless I unscrew the cap and change it. I like turrets with MOA numbers on the bottom for precision when I have time to run a ballistics app, and a yardage marking above that for a quick shot at mid range. Say an animal gives me a quick opportunity at 350 yards, it's far enough I want to dial but close enough a yardage turret is plenty precise.

Lots of threads about this. My choice is the Huskemaw scopes. They are over 20oz but not by much. Lots of others like SWFA scopes. Nightforce SHV has fans too. I like the covered elevation turret on the Huskemaw so I know my dial is always set for 200 yards unless I unscrew the cap and change it. I like turrets with MOA numbers on the bottom for precision when I have time to run a ballistics app, and a yardage marking above that for a quick shot at mid range. Say an animal gives me a quick opportunity at 350 yards, it's far enough I want to dial but close enough a yardage turret is plenty precise.

I definitely agree with this. I run both a SWFA 10x42 and an SHV and they both track flawlessly and are barely over 20z.

mcseal2

WKR
I had Leupold VX6 scopes and Vortex Viper have dialing issues. Thats how I ended up on Huskemaw. My gunsmith uses them personally and has put them on a lot of custom rifles. He still swears by them and got me to try them.

I run a 6x42 fixed SWFA (mil-quad). 20 oz and rock solid as any scope made. $200 during black Friday sale. I added excellent zero stop shims made by tmkulin on Ebay.

CMuehl

FNG
The Leupold VX-5 2-10 x 42mm with CDS seems to tick all of my boxes. It dials and is light weight at under 18 oz. The issue I’m having is that two of the scopes I’ve had dialing issues are Leupold products. And I know I’m not alone in this as I’ve seen on multiple sites the issues with their tracking.
I just posted a thread about my VX-5HD 3-15x44. Long story short it seems like many people are having issues with Leupolds tracking accurately.

mcseal2

WKR
I had 2 of the Leupold VX-6 scopes in 3-18x that I returned to Leupold for repair. When they returned I sold them on Ebay and went to Huskemaws to replace them. I also had a 1-6x VX-6 that I was sighting in on a 100 yard target. I made a 4" vertical adjustment and it didn't move, my bullet hole touched the one before the adjustment. The recoil must have jostled the internals, and the following shot was 4" higher like it should have been. That one got sold too and that rifle now wears a 1-6x Huskemaw I found used. I still like Leupold scopes for guns that I will just zero and leave alone, but until they have their erector system perfected for dialing I won't own another CDS version. I don't trust them to move correctly up or down without tapping the scope between each adjustment, and even then I don't fully trust them. At present I only trust Nightforce, SWFA, and Huskemaw. Others are probably solid too but I don't have personal experience with them. March scopes interest me, but I don't see a big advantage over Huskemaw for my needs. They are also much more expensive.

ChrisAU

WKR
Great glass, solid reliability, no frills point and shoot, 19 oz...SWFA SS HD 3-9x42. Dialed for the elk in my avatar, and two whitetails in the last 3 months, perfect performance and RTZ every time. Price is nice too.

kinz584

FNG
You should do some more research on reliable tracking before purchasing that expensive of a scope. I learned the hard way on a VX-6 this rifle season.

I have started looking into it, probably not going to be a good scope on a 6.5 pound 300 win mag

prm

WKR
Great glass, solid reliability, no frills point and shoot, 19 oz...SWFA SS HD 3-9x42. Dialed for the elk in my avatar, and two whitetails in the last 3 months, perfect performance and RTZ every time. Price is nice too.

Now if they’d just make a version with a lower, capped windage and a lower el dial, and, a fast focus eye piece (like the one on their 6x). Oh, and tweak the reticle a bit for more typical hunting. Thick bars in a little closer, to about 3-4 MILs. I really don’t need 6 MILs of windage! Ditch the entire top bar and make the lower bar match the side bars. Easy button!

ChrisAU

WKR
Now if they’d just make a version with a lower, capped windage and a lower el dial, and, a fast focus eye piece (like the one on their 6x). Oh, and tweak the reticle a bit for more typical hunting. Thick bars in a little closer, to about 3-4 MILs. I really don’t need 6 MILs of windage! Ditch the entire top bar and make the lower bar match the side bars. Easy button!

That and ditch the useless 3x on it (same FOV at 3x and 4x with the tunneling) and just make it a 4-12 and voila...perfection IMO.

SDHNTR

WKR
Yep. For me, the deal killer is that too busy reticle! If they made a simple version dedicated to hunting, they’d sell a ton.

Joelweb

FNG
I think a lot of the alleged problems with the CDS system are tied to Leupold indexing dials based on load information from the side of an ammo box that is not tied to actual chrono data, or precise elevation info.

Last edited: