Lightweight Scope Options VX5 LTH V4

Sturgeon

WKR
Picked up a new to me rifle and would like to stretch the legs out on it a bit. Would like to do some range work in the 500-600 yard range, but also keep light weight for hunting. Would like to dial for elevation and hold for wind. Trying to keep the scope under 20 oz and $1000.

Top of the list right now

Leupold VX5 3-15x44 19.2 oz
Zeiss V4 4-16x44 22.6oz
Vortex Razor LTH 3-15x42 19.1 oz

I’ve heard the least amount of bad things about the Razor, but it is still pretty new. I will listen to anyone’s experience with these good or bad. Any other scopes I should be looking at in this category? I think Nightforce will be too heavy and too expensive.

Bater

WKR
I’ve owned all three and still have the Razor and V4. Leupy wouldn’t track or RTZ 100% of the time which made it worthless to me and it went down the road. I’ve got a bunch of rounds out past 1k on both the Razor and Zeiss and love em both. Razor is my personal favorite lightweight yet long range capable scope as it’s just a touch more compact/light than the Zeiss and I prefer the reticle. I find myself almost preferring it to my 4-32 NX8 and 2.5-25 March if that says anything.

amassi

WKR
All solid options, vortex out for me because of reticle. I like the turrets and zero stop on the zeiss best

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
You’ve narrowed it down to the only ones that fit your parameters. Toss the Leupold out due to reliability concerns. Then between the V4 and the LHT, go with the one which gives you the reticle you prefer. For me, that’s the Zeiss. I’d buy an LHT in a heartbeat but just can’t get past that funky reticle!

ChrisAU

WKR
I'll dissent and say that I actually really like the reticles in the LHT, especially the G4, for hunting when you know you will dial and not holdover. Both are fantastic at close range for target acquisition. I'm having a hard time keeping myself from replacing a Mark 5HD with a LHT to drop half a pound off my rifle.

MThuntr

WKR
I compared the VX5 and V4 about a year ago and preferred the V4 (I like the reticle, zero stop setup, and turrets) especially when I keep reading negative reviews of tracking on the VX5...that being said all of my Leupold scopes have never had this issue so that wasn't the complete deciding factor just a part of it.

ndayton

WKR
I have the Zeiss V4 which was replaced under warranty by Zeiss due to the parallax knob not turning in freezing temps. Other than that issue it has been a great scope with good glass and reliable tracking, but I have been looking at the Razor LTH simply due to weight on another rifle build.

Orangehd1

FNG
I just got a v4. 4-16x50. I’ve been very happy with it so far. Not to heavy, good glass and plenty of choices for illuminated reticles. I got mine from red hawk As a demo.. I was between a z5i, vx6hd and the v4. I felt like the v4 was a whole lot of scope for the money especially with the red hawk deals. Good luck with your search

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also like the reticle on the lht. I have it on two rifles and it's been a solid choice for me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Honyock

WKR
If your still looking at the Zeiss V4 1-16x50 look at redhawkrifles.com. Just bought a demo from them of what you are looking at for $819

OP
Sturgeon

Sturgeon

WKR
If your still looking at the Zeiss V4 1-16x50 look at redhawkrifles.com. Just bought a demo from them of what you are looking at for $819
I was looking at 4-16x44 Zeiss. That is the one I am currently leaning towards. I was planning on getting it Cabela’s since it was on sale and could combo with raise gifr cards and active junky, however it is no longer available on their site. Thank you for sharing the offer.

J Batt

WKR
The Hawke Frontier 2.5-15x50 is another one to look at. It’s 23oz. Has larger FOV than LHT and more elevation adjustment. More forgiving eyebox. Better zerostop and crisper clicks on the turrets.
I’ve used the Frontier for the last two seasons and killed 4 bucks with it. Seems to hold up well. It’s made in Chyna and doesn’t have a long history but the quality seems all around better than the LHT. Slight weight penalty and a little larger. Also Cheaper by a couple hundred bucks.
I like the LHT reticle better for hunting though.

Last edited:

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Picked up a new to me rifle and would like to stretch the legs out on it a bit. Would like to do some range work in the 500-600 yard range, but also keep light weight for hunting. Would like to dial for elevation and hold for wind. Trying to keep the scope under 20 oz and $1000.

Top of the list right now

Leupold VX5 3-15x44 19.2 oz
Zeiss V4 4-16x44 22.6oz
Vortex Razor LTH 3-15x42 19.1 oz

I’ve heard the least amount of bad things about the Razor, but it is still pretty new. I will listen to anyone’s experience with these good or bad. Any other scopes I should be looking at in this category? I think Nightforce will be too heavy and too expensive.
If you have any questions on the LHT, don't hesitate to reach out!