Lightweight scope that dials with zero stop, does it exist?

dirtytough

To be clear I think the 3-9 SS HD glass is pretty clear (not swaro bino clear but not sucky) it was a magnification issue, I needed a bit more to make that smaller critter at a distance with matching background a bit larger in view.
Yep I wasn’t saying your scope/the SS has bad glass. Just quoted your post since my situation was kinda similar. I was using a March which has decent glass quality and it was still super hard to tell which bull was which

Whether it’s glass quality, reliability, magnification, etc, why settle? I personally don’t like the idea of using something that will “probably” get it done. I like using a scope that is overkill for 99% of what I do so when that 1% comes along it still works.

Bbell12

I know the 3-9x is popular for big game but do any of you have experience with it for long range varmint hunting?

I currently use a 4-14x; sometimes the extra magnification seems like a necessity for long shots on small
critters but I would love to hear others input before I bite the bullet on one of these because they fit the bill on everything else that I’m looking for in a scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the 3-9x is popular for big game but do any of you have experience with it for long range varmint hunting?

I currently use a 4-14x; sometimes the extra magnification seems like a necessity for long shots on small
critters but I would love to hear others input before I bite the bullet on one of these because they fit the bill on everything else that I’m looking for in a scope.

My first SS was a 3-9x w/MQ reticle and ran it on a 204 coyote rig. In 2009 or so I got hooked on the SS 6x fixed w/MQ and ended up selling all my variables. Today I own 3 variables w/greatest magnification being NXS 2.5-10Mil-R on 6mCM and 7RM. Everything else is fixed 6x or 10x (+ a 36x Weaver for load development).

Fixed + dialing being uber reliable, the 6x MQ reticle seems to be sort of a c-note thing. A coyote at 400y doesn't require anything more, just as deer or elk don't need more than 6x out to 500 or 600 (or further). It's personal + learned + somewhat subjective, but I never feel like I need something else.

I prefer the 6x for open coyotes over the 3-9x because 1) the reticle in a FFP gets beefier than the 6x, 2) 6x is not a variable. For 17 Hornet and 17 Rem I use SS 10x. Being realistic, 17s and 204s get hard to steer past 400y so greater magnification on small animals isn't necessary.

Took attached pic while shooting with my daughter recently. I shot 2 groups of 2 at 400y to validate elevation adjustment, then she took 8 shots on cardboard with a light blustery wind coming from the right. Point is, the SS 6X's dialing reliability is uncanny. I have five SS fixed and they all adjust and return perfectly.

My suggestion for consideration is this: It's too late to convince me that a SS 6x w/MQ is not more than adequate for shooting smaller game at realistic distances. If 6x doesn't appeal, the SS 3-9X w/MQ is a very solid option. Best to look at how each reticle aligns with how your eyeball likes to see things. Hope this is helpful!

Attachments

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone ran one of these? Interesting set of features... 20ozs...

Bbell12

My first SS was a 3-9x w/MQ reticle and ran it on a 204 coyote rig. In 2009 or so I got hooked on the SS 6x fixed w/MQ and ended up selling all my variables (because shooting running game with 6x worked better/easier). Today I own 3 variables w/greatest magnification being NXS 2.5-10Mil-R on 6mCM and 7RM. [I do own a 36x fixed Weaver for load development.]

Fixed + dialing being uber reliable, the 6x MQ reticle seems to be sort of a c-note thing. A coyote at 400y doesn't require anything more, just as deer or elk don't need more than 6x out to 500 or 600 (or further). It's personal + learned + somewhat subjective, but I never feel like I need something else.

I (personal) prefer the 6x for open coyotes over the 3-9x because 1) the reticle in a FFP gets beefier than the 6x, 2) 6x is not a variable. For 17 Hornet and 17 Rem I use SS 10x. Being realistic, 17s and 204s get hard to steer past 400y so greater magnification on small animals isn't necessary.

Took attached pic while shooting with my daughter recently. I shot 2 groups of 2 at 400y to validate elevation, then she took 8 shots total with a light blustery wind coming from the right. [The light wind offered an opportunity to teach wind adjustment.] Point is, the SS 6Xs dialing reliability is uncanny. I have five SS fixed and they all adjust and return perfectly.

My suggestion for consideration is this: Unless hunting timber or shorter range limitations, my go-to scope is a SS 6x w/MQ. It's always an easy choice. Hope this is helpful!
This is exactly what I was needing to know. Great info and thanks for replying sir.

Fatcamp

Maybe its just me. But I don't see a fixed 6x scope as a long range scope.
Honestly, they really perform better than one would expect. We have used ours out to 600 on steel and it was plenty. Now part of that is the thin reticle, which could be a problem at low light.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huskemaw 3-12 and 4-16’s are right about 21 ounces and pretty dang reliable. The VX-5 will have better glass but I’ll take reliable over glass any day.

That 4-16 looks interesting. How did you find the Huskemaw system in terms of use and performance?

AKHUNTER

I've done a fair amount of research looking for a scope with similar attributes as in the title of this thread. I guess I can live w/o a zero stop and 9 or 10 as the max. magnification. There are two scopes that keep coming up, the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 and SWFA SS 3-9x42. Tell me which one you would recommend and why - thanks.

Broomd

Anybody pick up an extra ulatralight SWFA 32mm with Black Friday? I dragged my feet on this...

luke moffat

Administrator
Anybody pick up an extra ulatralight SWFA 32mm with Black Friday? I dragged my feet on this...
I got your back. :)

I have an extra one if you decide you want one after the sale closes. Hope you and yours have a happy holiday season.

luke moffat

Administrator
I've done a fair amount of research looking for a scope with similar attributes as in the title of this thread. I guess I can live w/o a zero stop and 9 or 10 as the max. magnification. There are two scopes that keep coming up, the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 and SWFA SS 3-9x42. Tell me which one you would recommend and why - thanks.
I've had owned both. Both are great, more or less comes down to if you prefer MILs or MOA in this instances neither as far as I know is offered in both units of measurement.

That said the SHV has capped turrets and parallax adjust. SWFA has exposed turrets I gotta tape the windage too but can also easily shim the elevation turret for a zero stop whereas its not so simple (atleast for me) to zero stop an SHV if that matters to ya.

BAKPAKR

One issue with the SWFA, and it is an issue with any scope that has a high windage turret on the right side, is that it will dig into your ribs if you are a lefty (I am) and carry the rifle in a Gun Bearer. With that said, I just picked up a second SWFA 3-9.

Wapiti1

One issue with the SWFA, and it is an issue with any scope that has a high windage turret on the right side, is that it will dig into your ribs if you are a lefty (I am) and carry the rifle in a Gun Bearer. With that said, I just picked up a second SWFA 3-9.
You can flip it 90 degrees and swap the turrets so the elevation is on the left side and the windage becomes the elevation on top. The SWFA reticle works on its side just fine. The turrets are identical other than the markings, so you can swap them and get the correct markings where you need them. I've done this with fixed power SWFa scopes on Remington rifles that had the Sako extractor conversion and ejected cases into the windage turret.

Jeremy

BAKPAKR

You can flip it 90 degrees and swap the turrets so the elevation is on the left side and the windage becomes the elevation on top. The SWFA reticle works on its side just fine. The turrets are identical other than the markings, so you can swap them and get the correct markings where you need them. I've done this with fixed power SWFa scopes on Remington rifles that had the Sako extractor conversion and ejected cases into the windage turret.

Jeremy
I think that would work fine on my Leupold Mark 4 with the TMR reticle but it would bother me on the SWFA scope since the vertical crosshair is different than the horizontal crosshair.