Lightweight scope that dials with zero stop, does it exist?

204guy

WKR
The turrets on the hd's are pretty stiff. I havent found a need for a zero stop. Once zeroed and the turret is set to zero, take a pencil and write what revolution your zero is at on the turret right above the zero. It'll allow you to easily reference your zero.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

duchntr

WKR
Yes, Ive used standard hose gaskets as well as plastic shims from the guy on eBay. Either option works equally well for me.

tdot

WKR
I'm buying a couple as well. But they are replacing $700-$1700 scopes so its a win in that regard. :)

What would you compare the optic quality of the SWFA 3-9 to?

Any comments on the eye box for eithe the 3-9 or the ultralight? Playing a pure numbers game, they seem on the low side, and since atleast some of my timber hunting is done without a break, I'm not a fan of being too close.

OXN939

WKR
I'm buying a couple as well. But they are replacing $700-$1700 scopes so its a win in that regard. :)

OK so I think I scoured this whole thing to make sure this is original... anyone got any experience with Burris Veracity scopes? Apparently they're very well received so far, and are pretty close to OP's parameters.

Fatcamp

WKR
Nightforce SHV 3-10 is ~20oz

SWFA SS HD 3-9 is ~19oz

if someone made a <16oz scope that was durable I’d be all over it. I’ve thought they could start with the SWFA 3-9, which is a relatively smaller scope to begin with, shorten and cap the windage, tweak the reticle and go with a shorter el knob and that would be a really nice scope that might be 17-18oz.

If they got rid of the windage knob the hunting world would beat a path to their door. I mentioned that idea to a major scope representative. He looked at me like I was crazy. Nobody I know dials windage. Dial elevation, hold windage. Apparently the scope manufacturing world doesn't agree.

204guy

WKR
Just take tape and wrap it around where the turret meets the scope so it can't turn. Good tape like 3m 33+ will work better and you can stretch it when putting it on.

ff373de77150155d3f873597332832c8.jpg

Lightweight is great. But giving away glass quality, magnification range and less ability to dial in. Is it really worth it? A lot of members here turn to heavy scopes on their lightweight rifle for that reasons.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just take tape and wrap it around where the turret meets the scope so it can't turn. Good tape like 3m 33+ will work better and you can stretch it when putting it on.

Thanks! Could you take that cap off and put a non twist one on there?

204guy

WKR
Matt if you take the turret off there's a brass stud sticking up that the turret attaches to. There was a thread on 24hrcampfire about cutting it down and capping it if you want to look into it. Not worth the hassle to me. Works just fine as is, but I'm lh so the turret isn't over the ejection port for me.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Tac Beard

FNG
I wish Nightforce made a FFP version of the 2.5-10 NXS Compact. That scope is great for someone who wants SFP. Of course it’s also about $600 more expensive than it should be. The 2.5-20 NX8 looks great but it’s 9oz. heavier.

I wish Nightforce made a FFP version of the 2.5-10 NXS Compact. That scope is great for someone who wants SFP. Of course it’s also about $600 more expensive than it should be. The 2.5-20 NX8 looks great but it’s 9oz. heavier.
If they make FFP nsx 2.5-10, scope will gain at least 4 oz

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll be honest I have never got wrapped around the handle about glass quality for hunting scopes. Binos and spotters certainly, as it makes sense to when I'm spending literally days a year behind them and picking out the animals. But for being able to put a critter I have already located in the crosshairs inside 1/2 of a mile I've found having uber glass quality is generally lost on me.

I've found just doesn't take top tier quality glass in the riflescope for the hunting I do. Again for binos and spotter I greatly appreciate great glass but its right down on the bottom in features of importance when it comes to riflescopes. Yes its nice to not look through a coke bottle but general I have found that if a riflescope checks all the other much more important boxes the glass has always been more than adequate for MY needs.

That said I find the 3-9 SWFA glass quite good and better than VX-2 and maybe on par with VX-3. Is it Nightforce ATACR good or even Bushnell LRHS? No, but its more than good enough. I cant think of a time when shooting a critter that the 3-9 SWFA would have been lacking optically and a scope with much better optics would have made it happen for me. But perhaps I'm lucky in that regard?

As far as eyebox goes the 3-9 def is larger and has more eye relief than the 2.5-10 ultralight. But the 3-9 is on a 5.25 pound 325 WSM and a 4.8 pound 338-06 (before optics on both) and I find that even without a break the eyelief is plenty good on those lightweight rifles.

Hope that helps.

I had a 3-9 HD SS on a rifle during a barbary sheep hunt, left me wanting for a tad more magnification in that situation, it was a bitch finding the sheep in the scope that I could see in my 15x binos (small critter the same color as the rock it was on at a long distance). But deer/elk/etc. it wouldn't have ever been an issue. But that was a rather unique situation. I'm gonna give a 3-12 LRTS a go on that gun next, just got one from the cameraland deal. But that 3-9 SS has a solid place in the line up, I just moved it over to another gun for now. Wish they made a 3-15 SS HD (don't really care for the tactical turrets, go ahead and cap the windage while at it. ;).