Lightweight scope that dials with zero stop, does it exist?

TexAg08

FNG
Can’t speak to the reliability of their tracking, as I have yet to test it, but Tract Toric series is within weight and budget. They have an extra turret that can be used for dialing, but you don’t have a lot of range due to 1” tube.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How far was this sheep? I realize barbary blend in well, but I can't imagine inside 1000 yards where a 15X scope would pick up a big game animal a 9X wouldn't. I'm wondering if even a 3-15 HD scope if they made such a critter if it would have helped ya.

BTW if you like the LRTS scope, I have a 3-12 LRHS I'll be listing for sale here shortly. :)

I'll shoot ya a message

tdot

WKR
I'll be honest I have never got wrapped around the handle about glass quality for hunting scopes. Binos and spotters certainly, as it makes sense to when I'm spending literally days a year behind them and picking out the animals. But for being able to put a critter I have already located in the crosshairs inside 1/2 of a mile I've found having uber glass quality is generally lost on me.

I've found just doesn't take top tier quality glass in the riflescope for the hunting I do. Again for binos and spotter I greatly appreciate great glass but its right down on the bottom in features of importance when it comes to riflescopes. Yes its nice to not look through a coke bottle but general I have found that if a riflescope checks all the other much more important boxes the glass has always been more than adequate for MY needs.

That said I find the 3-9 SWFA glass quite good and better than VX-2 and maybe on par with VX-3. Is it Nightforce ATACR good or even Bushnell LRHS? No, but its more than good enough. I cant think of a time when shooting a critter that the 3-9 SWFA would have been lacking optically and a scope with much better optics would have made it happen for me. But perhaps I'm lucky in that regard?

As far as eyebox goes the 3-9 def is larger and has more eye relief than the 2.5-10 ultralight. But the 3-9 is on a 5.25 pound 325 WSM and a 4.8 pound 338-06 (before optics on both) and I find that even without a break the eyelief is plenty good on those lightweight rifles.

Hope that helps.

Perfect thanks. I agree with not understanding the need for ultra HD glass in a scope. I'm not ultimately worried about having perfect clarity in the glass, or CA, or colour reproduction or any of the other nuances of high end optics.

But I typically find decent glass has an easier more forgiving eye box, better light transmission, often better coatings, and is just easier to look thru if I'm sitting on an animal for a few minutes waiting for a shot. I typically associate better glass with an easier optic to use.

brushape

WKR
How far was this sheep? I realize barbary blend in well, but I can't imagine inside 1000 yards where a 15X scope would pick up a big game animal a 9X wouldn't. I'm wondering if even a 3-15 HD scope if they made such a critter if it would have helped ya.

BTW if you like the LRTS scope, I have a 3-12 LRHS I'll be listing for sale here shortly. :)

where’s the line start for that scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Sigh, I probably shouldn’t do this but put me in line for the scope as well.

Luke, if the other guys back out and the price is solid I’ll probably snag it up.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
One thing that gets kind of glossed over is you have to “test” your scope. Before anyone says their scope works, you have to have actually tested it.

That means at a minimum a tall target test. Zero, adjust elevation, shoot, adjust more, shoot, return to zero each time. Actually measure if your adjustments are correct with the inputs - over as much adjustment range as you can. If it is “off”, is it consistent over the range of adjustment? Does it return to zero?

Also, EVERY range session should start with a zero - especially with new gear. Is it ever off? Why ?

I haven't run in to very many people who even think that‘s needed. Not to mention less that even do it.

I just shot a new set up yesterday. While setting zero I noticed the scope seemed to not be adjusting correctly - SWFA 6x. Seemed strange enough to me. So, since it is all new, I‘ll verify the mounting, assembly, test the scope on a collimator, and then rezero and test the dang scope!

kad11

WKR
I have shot the UL’s a bit. Not heavily as a SFP duplex or BDC reticle isn’t very useful to me. Haven’t seen any issues in the little use I have (thousand’ish rounds total on a couple), but that doesn’t mean much.

Alaska Lanche has used them more and reports good performance. He knows what’s up, so I have little concern that he is wrong.

They are coming out with a mil/mil version- that I will use.

I'm assuming the mil/mil version will be sfp? So subtensions will be set for use at 10x?

I had a 3-9 HD SS on a rifle during a barbary sheep hunt, left me wanting for a tad more magnification in that situation, it was a bitch finding the sheep in the scope that I could see in my 15x binos (small critter the same color as the rock it was on at a long distance). But deer/elk/etc. it wouldn't have ever been an issue. But that was a rather unique situation. I'm gonna give a 3-12 LRTS a go on that gun next, just got one from the cameraland deal. But that 3-9 SS has a solid place in the line up, I just moved it over to another gun for now. Wish they made a 3-15 SS HD (don't really care for the tactical turrets, go ahead and cap the windage while at it. ;).

I kinda had the same issue on an elk this year. It was a good distance and in burned timber. It wasn't easy to pick out the correct bull in the scope. Sure most shots even a tasco is going to be clear enough. I'll spend more for clear glass and a scope that is reliable. I can save money and weight in other areas. If I have an opportunity at a quality animal I don't want to have to pass because my equipment isn't up to snuff.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I kinda had the same issue on an elk this year. It was a good distance and in burned timber. It wasn't easy to pick out the correct bull in the scope. Sure most shots even a tasco is going to be clear enough. I'll spend more for clear glass and a scope that is reliable. I can save money and weight in other areas. If I have an opportunity at a quality animal I don't want to have to pass because my equipment isn't up to snuff.

To be clear I think the 3-9 SS HD glass is pretty clear (not swaro bino clear but not sucky) it was a magnification issue, I needed a bit more to make that smaller critter at a distance with matching background a bit larger in view.

OP
BeaverHunter
Got both my SWFA scopes yesterday. I am very impressed with the glass quality. Maybe not as clear as my Nightforce but still very good. And the 2.5-10 is insanely light, so light I thought the box I got it in was empty. Got it mounted and I love it.

To be clear I think the 3-9 SS HD glass is pretty clear (not swaro bino clear but not sucky) it was a magnification issue, I needed a bit more to make that smaller critter at a distance with matching background a bit larger in view.

Yep I wasn’t saying your scope/the SS has bad glass. Just quoted your post since my situation was kinda similar. I was using a March which has decent glass quality and it was still super hard to tell which bull was which

Whether it’s glass quality, reliability, magnification, etc, why settle? I personally don’t like the idea of using something that will “probably” get it done. I like using a scope that is overkill for 99% of what I do so when that 1% comes along it still works.

Bbell12

WKR
I know the 3-9x is popular for big game but do any of you have experience with it for long range varmint hunting?

I currently use a 4-14x; sometimes the extra magnification seems like a necessity for long shots on small
critters but I would love to hear others input before I bite the bullet on one of these because they fit the bill on everything else that I’m looking for in a scope.

I know the 3-9x is popular for big game but do any of you have experience with it for long range varmint hunting?

I currently use a 4-14x; sometimes the extra magnification seems like a necessity for long shots on small
critters but I would love to hear others input before I bite the bullet on one of these because they fit the bill on everything else that I’m looking for in a scope.

My first SS was a 3-9x w/MQ reticle and ran it on a 204 coyote rig. In 2009 or so I got hooked on the SS 6x fixed w/MQ and ended up selling all my variables. Today I own 3 variables w/greatest magnification being NXS 2.5-10Mil-R on 6mCM and 7RM. Everything else is fixed 6x or 10x (+ a 36x Weaver for load development).

Fixed + dialing being uber reliable, the 6x MQ reticle seems to be sort of a c-note thing. A coyote at 400y doesn't require anything more, just as deer or elk don't need more than 6x out to 500 or 600 (or further). It's personal + learned + somewhat subjective, but I never feel like I need something else.

I prefer the 6x for open coyotes over the 3-9x because 1) the reticle in a FFP gets beefier than the 6x, 2) 6x is not a variable. For 17 Hornet and 17 Rem I use SS 10x. Being realistic, 17s and 204s get hard to steer past 400y so greater magnification on small animals isn't necessary.

Took attached pic while shooting with my daughter recently. I shot 2 groups of 2 at 400y to validate elevation adjustment, then she took 8 shots on cardboard with a light blustery wind coming from the right. Point is, the SS 6X's dialing reliability is uncanny. I have five SS fixed and they all adjust and return perfectly.

My suggestion for consideration is this: It's too late to convince me that a SS 6x w/MQ is not more than adequate for shooting smaller game at realistic distances. If 6x doesn't appeal, the SS 3-9X w/MQ is a very solid option. Best to look at how each reticle aligns with how your eyeball likes to see things. Hope this is helpful!

Attachments

• IMG_6697.JPG
    IMG_6697.JPG
    510.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone ran one of these? Interesting set of features... 20ozs...