Lightweight scope that dials with zero stop, does it exist?

Bbell12

WKR
My first SS was a 3-9x w/MQ reticle and ran it on a 204 coyote rig. In 2009 or so I got hooked on the SS 6x fixed w/MQ and ended up selling all my variables (because shooting running game with 6x worked better/easier). Today I own 3 variables w/greatest magnification being NXS 2.5-10Mil-R on 6mCM and 7RM. [I do own a 36x fixed Weaver for load development.]

Fixed + dialing being uber reliable, the 6x MQ reticle seems to be sort of a c-note thing. A coyote at 400y doesn't require anything more, just as deer or elk don't need more than 6x out to 500 or 600 (or further). It's personal + learned + somewhat subjective, but I never feel like I need something else.

I (personal) prefer the 6x for open coyotes over the 3-9x because 1) the reticle in a FFP gets beefier than the 6x, 2) 6x is not a variable. For 17 Hornet and 17 Rem I use SS 10x. Being realistic, 17s and 204s get hard to steer past 400y so greater magnification on small animals isn't necessary.

Took attached pic while shooting with my daughter recently. I shot 2 groups of 2 at 400y to validate elevation, then she took 8 shots total with a light blustery wind coming from the right. [The light wind offered an opportunity to teach wind adjustment.] Point is, the SS 6Xs dialing reliability is uncanny. I have five SS fixed and they all adjust and return perfectly.

My suggestion for consideration is this: Unless hunting timber or shorter range limitations, my go-to scope is a SS 6x w/MQ. It's always an easy choice. Hope this is helpful!

This is exactly what I was needing to know. Great info and thanks for replying sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Maybe its just me. But I don't see a fixed 6x scope as a long range scope.

Honestly, they really perform better than one would expect. We have used ours out to 600 on steel and it was plenty. Now part of that is the thin reticle, which could be a problem at low light.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huskemaw 3-12 and 4-16’s are right about 21 ounces and pretty dang reliable. The VX-5 will have better glass but I’ll take reliable over glass any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That 4-16 looks interesting. How did you find the Huskemaw system in terms of use and performance?

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a fair amount of research looking for a scope with similar attributes as in the title of this thread. I guess I can live w/o a zero stop and 9 or 10 as the max. magnification. There are two scopes that keep coming up, the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 and SWFA SS 3-9x42. Tell me which one you would recommend and why - thanks.

Broomd

WKR
I got your back. :)
I have an extra one if you decide you want one after the sale closes. Hope you and yours have a happy holiday season.
Thanks Luke. Appreciated! I didn't know the $249 sale was still ongoing; just grabbed two. (y)(y)
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

BAKPAKR

WKR
I've done a fair amount of research looking for a scope with similar attributes as in the title of this thread. I guess I can live w/o a zero stop and 9 or 10 as the max. magnification. There are two scopes that keep coming up, the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 and SWFA SS 3-9x42. Tell me which one you would recommend and why - thanks.

One issue with the SWFA, and it is an issue with any scope that has a high windage turret on the right side, is that it will dig into your ribs if you are a lefty (I am) and carry the rifle in a Gun Bearer. With that said, I just picked up a second SWFA 3-9.

Wapiti1

WKR
One issue with the SWFA, and it is an issue with any scope that has a high windage turret on the right side, is that it will dig into your ribs if you are a lefty (I am) and carry the rifle in a Gun Bearer. With that said, I just picked up a second SWFA 3-9.
You can flip it 90 degrees and swap the turrets so the elevation is on the left side and the windage becomes the elevation on top. The SWFA reticle works on its side just fine. The turrets are identical other than the markings, so you can swap them and get the correct markings where you need them. I've done this with fixed power SWFa scopes on Remington rifles that had the Sako extractor conversion and ejected cases into the windage turret.

Jeremy

BAKPAKR

WKR
You can flip it 90 degrees and swap the turrets so the elevation is on the left side and the windage becomes the elevation on top. The SWFA reticle works on its side just fine. The turrets are identical other than the markings, so you can swap them and get the correct markings where you need them. I've done this with fixed power SWFa scopes on Remington rifles that had the Sako extractor conversion and ejected cases into the windage turret.

Jeremy

I think that would work fine on my Leupold Mark 4 with the TMR reticle but it would bother me on the SWFA scope since the vertical crosshair is different than the horizontal crosshair.

Leupold VX5HD 3-15 illum. Mounted on a 300 Win Mag 9.12lbs all up. Hunted many days over two states. End of season zero check...ammo burn

Cold bore Zero check

Followed by adding 9 MOA elevation while shooting at LOWER dot.
Followed by return to zero

Sample set of one scope. And 9 MOA isn’t asking too much from an optic. Gets this rifle to 495 yards. Round to 500. It’s a box stock left handed SPS shitbox I snagged on GunBroker. I do a fair bit of loading and testing and shooting out to 700ish. I have almost no business shooting at a deer sized animal past 500. And I practice and nerd out on this kinda stuff every hour of every day.

I own SWFA 3-9. Never use it. I like much lore magnification. On a flat range with white steel...it works. Have a pile of FFP optics. Not really a fan for hunting stuff. Have LRTS and LRHS. They work. But I really love EVERY attribute of this Leupold. The illum dot. Locking turret. Capped windage. It’s noticeably a very clear and bright optic. It’s 21 ounces. It may leave me high n dry. It may F me over. Time will tell. Made a 168 yard shot using a dinky pine tree rest in a modified hunker position an easy heart shot. I used the illum and was happy to have it. It’s dialed reliably for a 1st round hit on a steel coyote target at 622. Just my personal mileage I am passing along. This is not a sub MOA rifle/load either Pics published out of order. Shown is cold bore/post season. And final RTZ. Image 3 is with 9MOA on the turret
03A993F7-AD4B-4FFB-A1B6-6F204A18DC26.jpeg70033F49-C144-477D-AA48-5F9D23C3E1AB.jpeg0372C346-7BD8-4E28-ABB5-F336B79712E5.jpeg

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider

Jeremy
This worked? Have this issue with my Fierce action.

Wapiti1

WKR
Yes, it works fine with any scope that has a symmetrical reticle and no side paralax. It's a little odd at first with the MQ reticle in the SWFA, but you get used to it pretty quick. It used to be a more common trick before side parallax became standard.

Jeremy

ratatack

FNG
I have a VX5 3-14x44, never had a issue with anything, mounted on my CA Ridgeline 300WM. Also just recently capped my Hells Canyon 6.5prc with a VX6 3-18x50, great results so far.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this thread blew up SWFA's Black Friday sale... Anybody looked at their inventory lately? : )

nah. I only got one....

IMG_3098_zpsrxrlsrpg.jpg