Lightweight scope that dials with zero stop, does it exist?

I posted this on Longrangehunting.com also and am looking for ideas. I know they exist but doesn't seem to be many out there. When I say lightweight I'm thinking under 20 ounces and would prefer a pound or less. I don't need tons of magnification, something in the 12-15 on the top end would plenty. About the only one I see out there is the Leupold VX-5 3-15 that weighs in at just over 19 ounces. For those of you that have a vx-5, does it dial correctly every time? I was also looking at the Vxi-3 4-14 cds that only weighs 13 ounces but I'm nervous about that with no capped turrets or zero stop. Anything else out there that you all would trust for a hunting rifle? I'm thinking my budget is $1000ish. I'm not necessarily brand loyal, just has to be very reliable. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Brendan

WKR
Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50 BT at 16 Oz? Should be able to get one a little over $1k

Not sure how dialing performance stacks up, but I know you can get custom turrets.

SDHNTR

WKR
It doesn’t exist! And I find that exasperating! I’ve posted the same question before here and on many other forums. Same story…. Everyone wants this exact same thing, yet optics manufacturers don’t make it. They seem to think we want to put a 2 pound brick on top of our guns. I don’t understand it. If Leupold could only make a VX 3i 3.5-10 or 4-12x CDS that actually worked reliably, they would sell like hotcakes. Or if someone else did the same thing, with similar size and weight specs, they’d make a mint. Even if they had to increase the cost substantially, it would still sell! There’s obviously a market for people who don’t need 30mm tubes and 20x magnification. We only want to be able to reliably dial to 500-600! Somebody help us out!

As of now the Swaro Z5 3.5-14 is the closest thing you’ll find to light and quasi reliable.

OP
BeaverHunter
How about a zeiss v4? 3-12 is listed at 18 ounces and 4-16 is listed at 21 ounces.
Hadn't seen these. Just did a little research. Can't find many reviews on them. Only thing I'm not liking is no parallax adjustment, but that's not necessarily a deal breaker. I like the price and about an ounce lighter than the Leupold. Anybody have one and can vouch for the dialing?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Everyone wants this exact same thing, yet optics manufacturers don’t make it.

Because they can’t. Things that make a scope reliable, weigh a certain amount.

Swarovski has the Z6. So why when they wanted to come out with a long range hunting scope, didn’t/couldn’t they use the Z6 line and instead had to design the x5..... might be worth a look as to why. Nothing Z3/5/6 can be considered “reliable” and expected to consistently adjust/track correctly.

ID_Matt

WKR

Here is a review that was done recently. I have a 6-24x50 and love it. Mine has the parallax adjustment. Can't beat the zero stop. Seems to always track well for me. I have beat the crap out of mine and it still holds true.

ckleeves

WKR
Z5’s aren’t what I would call reliable. I chased this lightweight reliable scope unicorn for quite a while now I just gladly except the extra few ounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apollo117

WKR
I have read numerous threads about this topic on Rokslide and other forums. There are a small number of scope manufacturers that are mentioned as "reliable" by multiple people with more experience than me. Some of those manufacturers are SWFA, Schmidt and Bender, U.S. Optics, and Nightforce.

I'm going to define reliable as when you adjust the turret the scope tracks accurately related to the amount of adjustment EVERY time. The above mentioned scope manufacturers are often cited as making scopes that are capable of this definition. Every manufacturer is going to have a few lemons, but the above mentioned will have fewer lemons on average.

IIRC, of the manufacturers I have listed, only SWFA makes a scope that meets some of your criteria. SWFA makes a 3x9 magnification scope that is less than $1000, reliable, and less than 20oz. However, it doesn't have the magnification that you want.

A close second option that meets most of your criteria would be the Nightforce SHV 3-10 magnification. It weighs more than 20oz though.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm mostly parroting the advice of other members on this forum who have more knowledge and experience than me.

I suggest reading what @Formidilosus has written about scope reliability in other threads. You'll quickly learn that his opinion about scope reliability is rightly taken as the gospel truth.

*Edit: Form has already replied to this thread by the time I submitted my post. always the bridesmaid...

OP
BeaverHunter
Z5’s aren’t what I would call reliable. I chased this lightweight reliable scope unicorn for quite a while now I just gladly except the extra few ounces.

Yea, thinking I might just go for the VX-5 at 19 ounces and move on with my life. Seems to get MOSTLY positive reviews and has zero stop. Found it on sale for $759.00

OP
BeaverHunter
Because they can’t. Things that make a scope reliable, weigh a certain amount.

Swarovski has the Z6. So why when they wanted to come out with a long range hunting scope, didn’t/couldn’t they use the Z6 line and instead had to design the x5..... might be worth a look as to why. Nothing Z3/5/6 can be considered “reliable” and expected to consistently adjust/track correctly.
So what scope would you buy if you were me? Not a Leupold Vx fan?

A quality well known smith posted this on FB a month or two back.

The smith sent a gun out the door that was shooting 1/4-1/2 moa that he built. The owner couldn't get it to shoot much better than moa with the same loads. The owner sent the gun back and the smith shot it again. It was shooting just as bad for him as it was the owner. He swapped scopes and the gun was 1/4-1/2 moa gun again. The brand new scope wasn't holding zero. According to the smith there are only two brands he feels are reliable. They are Kahles and March.

He didn't make the post to bash any brands. In the original post he never mentioned the brand that wouldn't hold zero. He finally mentioned it later in the comments though. There are a few more brands I would trust for the hunt of a lifetime than just March and Kahles. But you are getting close or into the 2# range with them.

I look at optics as about the most important item on the hunt. I will sacrifice 4-5 ounces of weight in a scope to make sure its reliable. If I have the animal of a lifetime in front of me I want everything in my favor. And if NF has a 1% failure rate and Leupold has a 3% failure rate I'm going to use a NF.

Good luck finding that unicorn.

ChrisAU

WKR
Yea, thinking I might just go for the VX-5 at 19 ounces and move on with my life. Seems to get MOSTLY positive reviews and has zero stop. Found it on sale for $759.00

If you do, do extensive testing at the range before taking it to the field. I'm sure some work as designed, but if you are truly going to dial it a lot I have heard a lot of bad reviews. Current last post on this thread I just read this morning was posted last night here.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/vortex-razor-lh.149961/

codym

WKR
I agree with the statements about needing a certain amount of heft in a scope to make it reliable. If I’m shooting distances with a center fire rifle that requires me to dial elevation I want at least 18 x mag and I’m not gonna skimp on weight. I think the vortex AMG 6x24 is the best lighter weight scope that reliably dials, has good enough glass and enough mag for those long shots. Disclosure I live in the southwest where cutting through mirage is always an issue for me. Bushy lrhs is another reliable scope just didn’t love the glass.

deadwolf

WKR
Take a little less magnification and go for a NF SHV 3-10, or NXS 2.5-10, or up the weight a bit and get an NX8 2.5-20. I’ll take the extra weight all day for the glass and reliability.

OP
BeaverHunter
I agree with the statements about needing a certain amount of heft in a scope to make it reliable. If I’m shooting distances with a center fire rifle that requires me to dial elevation I want at least 18 x mag and I’m not gonna skimp on weight. I think the vortex AMG 6x24 is the best lighter weight scope that reliably dials, has good enough glass and enough mag for those long shots. Disclosure I live in the southwest where cutting through mirage is always an issue for me. Bushy lrhs is another reliable scope just didn’t love the glass.
I know the AMG's are in a class by themselves compared to the rest of the Vortex scopes but they are HEAVY. For that kind of weight, I would probably just go Nightforce. I know the phrase "Vortex lifetime warranty-the best warranty you'll definitely use". And full disclosure, I own a couple Vortex scopes currently.

338maker

WKR
Honestly probably the most under rated scope out there is the 4.5-14x40 LEUPY
15 ounces has a super large eye box low turrets 30mm main tube ..one thing i'm not sure about on this optic is the zero stop option!
I personally have one of these on my 5.5 pound 338 Ultra mag and it takes that abuse and keeps ticking

Bkottke35

WKR
Sportsman’s warehouse now has an exclusive to them Leupold VX3I 4.5-14x40 Zero Lock 1” tube. I’ve never had a problem with my Leupolds (5 of them) tracking correctly. I know others have different experience though. But it may be worth a shot.