Lightweight scope that dials with zero stop, does it exist?

mcseal2

WKR
That 4-16 looks interesting. How did you find the Huskemaw system in terms of use and performance?

I wasn't the one asked, but hopefully this helps.

I have a 1-6x, 3-12x, 5-20x, and 5-30x Huskemaw currently. I'll be adding a couple 4-16's as funds allow. I'm switching all my rifles over to them that I dial with. I have the yardage turrets on a couple that I have a proven load I will not change from. The rest I've been putting stickers from customturretsystems on over the factory click count turret. These have MOA markings and numbers on the bottom, and larger yardage numbers on the top. I don't need more than one rotation for my shooting. The MOA lets me run my ballistics program on my phone and dial exactly what I need for the conditions if time allows, and the yardage marks let me take a quick mid-range shot at say 350 yards without taking the time to run the program. It's been a good system for me especially as I test different loads and bullets. The windage marks are effective and easy to use.

As far as glass I have a used 3-15x42 SWFA. I think the Huskemaw glass is better. I also think it is better than my Leupold VX3 series scopes. It isn't as good as the Swaro Z5 or Leupold VX-6 scopes I replaced with Huskemaws. We had my 3-12x and a buddy's Swaro Z5 side by side as light faded one night. We were looking at some of our steers at 300 and 600 yards with both. We both agreed the Swaro had a brighter image, but we also could not have taken a shot with the Swaro on 12x that we couldn't have taken with the Huskemaw. They both became unusable at the same time. That's really all I ask from a scope, to be able to take the shot in low light after my binos identify an animal as a shooter. I don't need perfect performance, just enough that I'm not pissed that I can identify an animal in my binos but not shoot it with my scope. The 5-20x50 out performs the 3-12x in low light.

My favorite thing about the Huskemaw scopes has been the reliability. I have had that 3-12x in Alaska, Colorado, and around home. It has done a lot of practice shooting and dialing up and down, I'm lucky to have a pasture I can shoot steel in a mile from home. It has never lost zero yet after airlines, bouncing in a UTV, truck, and a lot of abuse. The 300 win mag it's on has added its share of "beauty marks" on these hunts so it's not getting babied. I purchased a used 1-6x I just got mounted on a rifle yesterday that looks like it was really beat on, so we will see if it is still good internally. I expect it will be. The other scopes have not had the abuse the 3-12x has, but I bought most used and have not yet had an issue. Before starting the move to Huskemaw I did some internet searching for dialing failures and similar terms and didn't come up with much. After having a Vortex Viper and a couple Leupold VX-6 scopes have erector system failures I value reliabiity very much.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn't the one asked, but hopefully this helps.

My favorite thing about the Huskemaw scopes has been the reliability. I have had that 3-12x in Alaska, Colorado, and around home. It has done a lot of practice shooting and dialing up and down, I'm lucky to have a pasture I can shoot steel in a mile from home. It has never lost zero yet after airlines, bouncing in a UTV, truck, and a lot of abuse. The 300 win mag it's on has added its share of "beauty marks" on these hunts so it's not getting babied. I purchased a used 1-6x I just got mounted on a rifle yesterday that looks like it was really beat on, so we will see if it is still good internally. I expect it will be. The other scopes have not had the abuse the 3-12x has, but I bought most used and have not yet had an issue. Before starting the move to Huskemaw I did some internet searching for dialing failures and similar terms and didn't come up with much. After having a Vortex Viper and a couple Leupold VX-6 scopes have erector system failures I value reliabiity very much.
What was the learning curve like getting used to the Huskemaw system? I've been debating adding one of these for a while...

mcseal2

WKR
I really didn't feel like there was one. I had used scopes with MOA marks for windage and yardage dials for elevation in the past. This was basically the same thing.

The elevation turrets they make matched to your load work well. They are just limited to one set of environmental conditions. The newer dual stack turrets give you two sets of environmental data, but it's still just 2 sets. I have found that those work best inside 600 yards, really well inside 500 yards. Past that it seems like more environmental factors have a bigger influence and I'm better off dialing in MOA after running a ballistics program with current conditions entered into it. I have not taken a shot hunting past 614 yards except on coyotes, but I like to practice to 800 yards. The Huskemaw turrets matched to your load will have a windage number on the turret next to the range that shows how many MOA marks to hold for a 10mph wind also matched to your load. It's a good quick reference, but it's just for one wind speed with one set of environmental data.

I have come to really like the stickers from customturretsystems I mentioned just because I can have both MOA and a yardage marked system on the same elevation turret.

For a shot I need to take quick at say 350 yards, I can just dial to 350 and know that I will be very close. For a shot at 575 yards with plenty of time I will use my Kestrel and run the Hornady ballistics program on my I phone. This way I get MOA result matched to my exact environmental conditions I can dial into the elevation turret and hold with the reticle for wind.

With either system I like to use a 100 yard zero. Formidulous on this forum taught me that in his writing and it has helped when going from 1200ft of elevation at home to 8000ft or more on hunts. A 200 or 250 yard zero at home had everything hitting high at 8k feet. With a 100 yard zero environmental conditions have less effect, and therefore my zero is closer to perfect at the higher elevations. I was trying to shoot rock chucks at 8500 feet and couldn't figure out why I was hitting high before learning this.

When I have a barrel that's got plenty of rounds down so I know it won't speed up and a load I know I won't change from I might get an etched turret with MOA and yardage both on it. For now the sticker set-up has worked very well, and it's fairly inexpensive to replace if I change something.

Hope this answers your question.

Tbuckus

WKR
I have shot the UL’s a bit. Not heavily as a SFP duplex or BDC reticle isn’t very useful to me. Haven’t seen any issues in the little use I have (thousand’ish rounds total on a couple), but that doesn’t mean much.

Alaska Lanche has used them more and reports good performance. He knows what’s up, so I have little concern that he is wrong.

They are coming out with a mil/mil version- that I will use.

I’m curious to know your opinion on US Optics? In my research a while back I noticed some PRS shooters are using them.
Ive been eyeballing the their TS-12x. Not lightweight at 18.1 oz. but I’m more concerned about reliability

HuntnPack

WKR

Yup !!

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.
Great little 20 oz.scope.
Low mounting to stock.
Good FOV, & eye relief.
Tracks perfectly, RTZ, very STOUT build.
Nice positive click adjustment
Zero stop. Good glass,
Moar reticle is nice,
Illumination, adjustable brightness.
Durability, Repeatability, Reliability. !!!

441DC823-49EC-4728-A393-64072B8616E1.jpeg

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR

Yup !!

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.
Great little 20 oz.scope.
Low mounting to stock.
Good FOV, & eye relief.
Tracks perfectly, RTZ, very STOUT build.
Nice positive click adjustment
Zero stop. Good glass,
Moar reticle is nice,
Illumination, adjustable brightness.

View attachment 167692
Once again proving there are few problems money won't solve.

SFP is dead on arrival for my use

Had one and tripped it. Probably should have a another go at it with the x42 and adjustable parallax but at 20.5oz it’s hardly lightweight and for the price it’s hard to swallow a SFP in 2020.

rootacres

WKR
The new Vortex Razor HD LHT (3-15x42) is feature rich at only 19.1 oz. Locking exposed elevation turret, capped windage, zero stop, parallax adjustment, and illuminated reticle. I ordered one pretty much when they first came out. It’s a great hunting package.

stevevan

WKR
The new Vortex Razor HD LHT (3-15x42) is feature rich at only 19.1 oz. Locking exposed elevation turret, capped windage, zero stop, parallax adjustment, and illuminated reticle. I ordered one pretty much when they first came out. It’s a great hunting package.
Tract Toric will check all the boxes. Try it, you'll like it.

Tbuckus

WKR

looks like you found the golden unicorn.
I hope the turrets are as reliable as their top end scopes.

C Bow

WKR
I just got a Leupold Vx3i 4.5 x 14 x 40 cds zero lock 13 oz for my sheep rifle

I’d be damn surprised if any cds turret scope will allow an end user to dump 500 max elevation turret runs and shoot overlapping 10 shot groups At zero.

if it does, dump max Windage and do another500 end runs On the elevation turret and see if it returns to zero. My guess is within 30 minutes you can get a sub 1moa gun to shoot shotgun patterns.