Lightweight shoes for bowhunting

Hi all,

My main hunting boots are Merrel Moabs and Zamberlan Vioz - both fantastic boots. The Zamberlans are a little tougher which is great for some of the steep stuff I walk, and the Merrells are a little lighter'more breathable which I've appreciated in the warmer weather.

I don't always hunt steep stuff however, so the need for ankle support isn't as great as I used to think it was. Summer is coming up (live in Australia) and I'm keen on a lightweight shoe for all of the bowhunting I'm going to do. I'm after advice about any sort of trail runners any of you might have experience with, as well as maybe some of the more specific type shoes with the individual toes in them.

Snakes are a big concern over here but I figure I'll just be careful. I haven't been bitten yet and I spent heaps of time outdoors so I'll be right. Haha. Going barefoot isn't an option for me in a lot of places.

Does anyone have any experience with these sorts of shoes for bowhunting? Durability, comfort, breathability, etc.

Inov8 mudclaw 300
Salomon speedcross 5 GTX
Vibram fivefingers V trek
Merrell vapour gloves

dtrkyman

WKR
I wore my trail runners quite a bit on a mule deer hunt, mostly they were fine, but some of the steep rocky stuff they were lacking for sure.

Going to find a light hiking shoe and try those next time.

Nice thing is the trail runners were light enough that I just strapped them to my pack when going in.

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Asolo fugitive GTX and keep the merrell vapor gloves in my pack for stalks. A wool sock over the vapor gloves is the quietest setup I’ve found.

I wouldn’t go out with them as my only footwear though. No support whatsoever.

Michael54

WKR
Hi all,

My main hunting boots are Merrel Moabs and Zamberlan Vioz - both fantastic boots. The Zamberlans are a little tougher which is great for some of the steep stuff I walk, and the Merrells are a little lighter'more breathable which I've appreciated in the warmer weather.

I don't always hunt steep stuff however, so the need for ankle support isn't as great as I used to think it was. Summer is coming up (live in Australia) and I'm keen on a lightweight shoe for all of the bowhunting I'm going to do. I'm after advice about any sort of trail runners any of you might have experience with, as well as maybe some of the more specific type shoes with the individual toes in them.

Snakes are a big concern over here but I figure I'll just be careful. I haven't been bitten yet and I spent heaps of time outdoors so I'll be right. Haha. Going barefoot isn't an option for me in a lot of places.

Does anyone have any experience with these sorts of shoes for bowhunting? Durability, comfort, breathability, etc.

Inov8 mudclaw 300
Salomon speedcross 5 GTX
Vibram fivefingers V trek
Merrell vapour gloves
I use my merrell moab ll vent lowtops alot