lightweight shooting sticks

I have taken to using my trekking poles as my shooting sticks lately. I figure they are helping me out anyways so I might as well have another use for them. I have used quite a few of the Black Diamonds, Leki's, and even some from Wal-Mart.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using the Stoney Pt basic stix 1's for approximately 10 yrs. I went to use them this year and the elastic chord no longer has the elasticity so it is time for a new set. They have served me well but run their course.

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the Snipe Pod from Kramer Designs for years now and love it. It's lightweight easy to attach and rock solid, the only thing that I have done is taken some rubber cement and dipped the ends because on hard surfaces it was slipping.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
If on a backpack hunt I use my trekking poles, I just take the top section off and use a few pieces of bicycle inner tube cut like elastics about 3/4" thick to strap the bottom sections together. I have also made a few sets out of shock corded tent poles using the same bicycle inner tube that works really well.

An example but you get the idea, cheap, easy and light:
IMGP0001.jpg

Shock corded tent poles:
IMGP0002.jpg

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used the snipe pod with success in the past, but have found myself leaving it at home in the last year or two. Luke found some "V" adapters that he threaded on top of our trekking poles, and these are super lightweight and make the trekking poles (or even a tripod) do double duty. It's nice to be able to make use of something we are bringing along anyway, instead of hauling the snipe pod along for a trip where it only gets used for the seconds before you take a shot. Its also nice because it can be lowered if you are shooting from the seated or kneeling position, or raised to shoot standing. I shot a caribou at 250+ yards in pretty breezy conditions off one of these, and doubt I could have done the same shot freehand, and the snipe pod would have been useless due to the high brush.

You can see the adaptor on the pole Luke has in this picture:

IMGP0521.jpg

Here I am using the same set up to filter water thru the inline filter while taking a snack break:
IMGP0537-1.jpg

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
My first post here. Great forum! I've been using Bipod Shooting sticks for 3 years and really like their functionality. They are lightweight and easy to use in almost any hunting environment including tree stands. Here is a link to their website: http://www.bipodshootingsticks.com