Lightweight Silky saw modification

Silky Gomtaro 240

tqkdLT9.jpg

Took off the rubber handle and added a half-assed paracord wrap. It previously weighed just a hair over 8 ounces, and now weighs exactly 4 ounces including the blade guard and bungees.

QkuWKio.jpg

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good man! I have the 'pocket boy' model with the folding blade. Do you like the medium teeth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
U
Looks good man! I have the 'pocket boy' model with the folding blade. Do you like the medium teeth?

I do.

So far I've cut a good bit of (green) yellow pine, (green) poplar, dry yellow pine and white pine, dry poplar, dry doug fir, and dry walnut. For a 7 tpi blade, t's been easy to start and has done a fantastic job on each.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I do.

So far I've cut a good bit of (green) yellow pine, (green) poplar, dry yellow pine and white pine, dry poplar, dry doug fir, and dry walnut. For a 7 tpi blade, t's been easy to start and has done a fantastic job on each.

Awesome!! I have this big guy on the left for snowmobiling when guys hit trees. It has the Extra large teeth and basically eats the wood. Wasn't sure if I could get away with the medium to work for wood AND bone possibly? Time will tell
Didn't think about the blade with metal handle option, im sure those are a lot lighter.
31357075dffce43813e28a478a601fd3.jpg

MtnMuley

WKR
I found the Silky Gomtaro 240 replacement blade which is basically the saw minus the handle and sheath for $22 free shipping. Thinking about copying your idea. What did you use for a blade guard?

OP
U
I found the Silky Gomtaro 240 replacement blade which is basically the saw minus the handle and sheath for $22 free shipping. Thinking about copying your idea. What did you use for a blade guard?

It actually came with it on the saw when I bought it. I cut a groove in the front and back of it for the bungee to ride in and not slip off. Maybe not the best way to do it, but it seems secure and was easy to do.

OP
U
Awesome!! I have this big guy on the left for snowmobiling when guys hit trees. It has the Extra large teeth and basically eats the wood. Wasn't sure if I could get away with the medium to work for wood AND bone possibly? Time will tell
Didn't think about the blade with metal handle option, im sure those are a lot lighter.
31357075dffce43813e28a478a601fd3.jpg

I've got got a similar sized folder that I keep in the truck for about the same reason. It gets used way more than I anticipated.

I can't say for sure, but I'd guess this would work OK for bone. It's not the typical tooth pattern that I'd look for in a bone saw, but it's worked so well in dry hardwoods that I'd be surprised if it didn't work fine for bone. It would obviously be a little touchy getting it started.

KJH

WKR
Good idea.I might do this to have a large saw blade.

I use a heavy drywall saw... before you laugh, it works awesome and if I remember right, it weighs about 3 ounces. Tough as hell... for wood and bone. Its never failed me yet. The tooth pattern is aggressive. This is the exact one:

Access Denied