Lightweight Sleeping Bag & Pad

20 degree EE Enigma (21oz for a XL/Wide)
Thermarest Uberlite (12oz for a Long)

That’s pretty light weight. If you do any cold camping I’d look at the xtherm though. I wouldn’t take my xlite on a winter hunt that’s for sure. Uber would probably be fine for summer/early fall times.

I run an Xped Synmat HL Long/Wide (with the Schnozzle bag for quick pumping/which also doubles as a stuff sack for the quilt) and a Thermarest Vesper 32 Quilt Long -- Total weight 2lbs 2oz. I recently tested this setup in long johns, and slept warm at 25degrees. I will also pack a ultralight bivy (4oz) later in the year as a just in case but I think if you put on some extra hunting clothes (like a hooded jacket) this setup could take you deep into the season.

*zap*

WKR
For above 50 or so I use an MSS gortex bivy and a MSS light bag. My Alps mummy pad fits inside the bivy under the bag. Bag and bivy snap together so it works pretty well for me. None of that stuff is very heavy.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd recommend considering two bags or two quilts or a quilt and a bag.

a 40 degree quilt for mild temps (might want to make that a 30 degree quilt for your wife-women sleep colder) and a 20 degree quilt for shoulder season stuff, both in late fall/winter

the combined quilts would be good to roughly -10F; 40 degree quilt can be had for under 16 oz, 20 degree for under 24 oz

if you go that route consider a synthetic 40 degree quilt and a 20 degree down quilt, have the 40 degree quilt slightly larger to go over the down quilt- the synthetic top quilt will receive most of the moisture from your body (moving through the down)- keeps your down drier over multiple days and the synthetic layer is less susceptible to degradation of loft from the moisture

for a pad I highly recommend the Thermarest Xtherm- you can use it all summer and all the way into the winter with the addition of a lightweight ccd pad- it does so with a very small weight penalty over lighter pads- my regular (20x72) weighs 13.8 oz- tough to beat when you consider the pad can easily be used on it's own to close to 0

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
My lightweight setup is a WM Astralite, and exped synmat HL LW. ~35oz

Muttly

WKR
With my wife, run an Exped Synmat Duo, and two quilts, mine at 30°, hers a 20° quilt. The double pad is pretty comfy, slightly smaller footprint, and a lot more stable than two pads together. The ultralight version would be lighter, slightly slicker, probably wouldn't be quite as warm.
I run hot, she runs cold, realistically, 35°, maybe down to 30° comfortably for both of us.

FLAK

WKR
I have a Big Agnes 20' Hog Park that is really too much
for me (I sleep hot) unless its down in the teens, plus that sucker is
heavy. I don't consider it a backpack bag. I also have a Mtn. Hardware
40 or 45' quilt/blanket that weighs next to nothing. Thinking about
getting another one of these and combining both on backpack trips.
This would allow me to adjust as needed, using 1, both, or sleeping in
my thermals, socks and beanie.
And a Thermarest Pro I think.

Last edited:

sbsyncro

FNG
I've tried a variety of "ultralight" (e.g. bottomless) sleeping bags and other bags that aren't "ultralight" per se but are specifically designed for backpacking, and thus emphasis weight and space savings. I've had bags from Big Agnes, Mountain Hardware, REI, North Face, and Marmot. I currently own 4 "backpacking" sleeping bags.

I've determined that one inevitably has to make compromises, and its really a matter of personal preference as to what the ideal set of comprises is for one's specific situation.

For me, I sleep cold and I'm a side sleeper that switches sides every couple hours while I'm sleeping. However, I'm not a big guy, so I can't carry weight like its nothing, but an extra pound in a sleep system so that I actually sleep every night is totally worth it. (I'll bring a pound less food and forage if I have to!). I'm also value conscious (not cheap) I look for high QPR for the dollars I spend, and if that means the most expensive, then thats fine with me, but often it means the lowest total cost when all factors are considered. Versatility and multi-use is always a big advantage for me.

Because I'm a side sleeper, I cannot sleep on foam pads now that I'm in my 50's. At 20 I could sleep on a rock and it didn't matter; now I need some padding. Thus an insulated inflatable is my go-to. Currently I use an insulated Klymit Static V Lite and it is very comfortable and I have not had a problem in two seasons of use with leaks. I always bring repair materials. What I like about it is (1) the baffles actually seem to make it more comfortable (2) I slide around less on it than I do on something like a NeoAir, AND (3) it is very quiet in comparison (no potato chip bag noises in the middle of the night).

For a bag, I always buy 0 degree bags for versatility and because I know anything rated at 20º will actually have me freezing when it's 30º outside. I recently discovered a North Face bag called "The One Bag". It's about $250-$300, but it is the most comfortable and warm bag for its weight and size I have ever owned in 40 years of backpacking. I own three other bags (down and synthetic) and I always choose this one now when I head out, unless its a car camping trip with my wife in which case I bring our Back Country Duo bag.

What I love about the One Bag it is that it is convertible - 3 bags in one, really. For summer, you can use it as an ultralight, synthetic fill bag rated to 40º. For Spring and Fall, you swap the synthetic top for a 800 fill power down top and the rating goes to 20º. For winter or cold conditions, you add the synthetic top back on to bring the rating to 5º. I've slept in it down to 18º with just lightweight merino base layer and fleece top and balaclava and was comfortable. The bag weighs between ~ 2 lbs and 3-1/2 lbs depending on the configuration and the bag is wide enough to allow me to sleep on my side with my knees bent and to switch from side to side without feeling like I'm fighting against anything (unlike more constrictive bags I've had).

2019-03-28_13-05-07.jpeg