Lightweight takedown single shot rifle - any market for it?

I was looking at my daughter's CVA Hunter single shot (.243) the other day and it got me wondering why someone isn't producing a lightweight takedown hunting rifle for backcountry hunters. Her CVA isn't exactly light, but that's mostly because it has a pretty heavy barrel contour. It takes down with one screw and can be stored in a standard backpack with ease.

I can see a company making a similar rifle with a lighter barrel contour, and a thumb screw takedown system that has a torque limiter like a torque wrench so that you use the same amount of torque on the forend every time you re-assemble the rifle. The scope would stay with the barrel, like it does on my daughter's CVA. Heck, you could even have storage for extra shells or cleaning gear in the hollow stock.

Being able to stuff it in a backpack would be pretty nice for a lot of situations, and let's be honest, it's the first shot that really matters. If you have a shell carrier somewhere handy, getting a second shot off with a break-action single shot isn't that much slower than a bolt action.

So why doesn't this rifle exist? I can think of at least one situation where I would only be allowed to carry a weapon in my pack through some public land to get to another type of public land where I can actually hunt. I've already checked the regs. and called the office, and they said no problem, so long as the weapon stays in the pack on the way through their property. Right now, if I did that I would have to take my daughter's CVA Hunter .243.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
I had this same thought a couple years ago before I bought my Tikka. I think the general consensus was that accuracy issues were possible with a break action and most people just want more rounds in the gun. I still think if someone could produce an accurate, lightweight single shot, it could be the perfect mountain hunting rifle.

I’d like one for hiking with the kids. We sometimes bump into a coyote at a distance and having a 223 in the backpack would be convenient.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Thompson Center 50 cal and a CVA 35 Whelan single shot. It's funny you mention this topic because I was thinking the exact same thing a few weeks ago so I did some checking. Thompson makes some barrels in decent calibers - but they are all pretty heavy from what I saw. CVA doesn't make any single shots in calibers I would elk hunt with. I think your idea is a good one! Seems like one of the current gun companies could offer something like that without a lot of capital investment.

Mt Al

WKR
I still think if someone could produce an accurate, lightweight single shot, it could be the perfect mountain hunting rifle.

I agree. Have been looking for just this thing for a long time. I modified an AR to shoot 6.5 Grendel and put a folding stock on it. It's pretty light and compact, but it really doesn't answer the question.

A lightweight break action/take down single shot in something like 7mm-08 would be killer.

howl

WKR
Blaser K95 Carbon is currently produced. NEF Superlight in 243 or 7mm08 may be found used. These carbines have brisk recoil even in .243.

Break actions are not as consistent as bolt actions.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It would technically be a pistol but CVA makes a 14" barreled 6.5 CM and there is at least one company that makes a buffer tube adapter (farrowtech), add a pistol brace and you would have a very short and light single shot. Based on reported weight of the pistol, it would weigh less than 4.5 lbs. Would have ballistics that handily beat a 6.5 grendel rifle... but I bet muzzle blast would be pretty hellacious. It is threaded though.

I might put one together if I can find the pistol for cheap...

tdot

WKR
Folding butt stock might help?

With a 18" barrel it would be a pretty tight package. Might be able to use a barreled action you already have.

Wrench

WKR
I have a rossi 45lc that fires 410 shells too. Its about 4 pounds. If I were going to pack a scoped rifle, I'd just have a lightweight bolt gun. When you get under about 5-6 pounds it takes a rifleman to be able to shoot them well.

Mt Al

WKR
It would technically be a pistol but CVA makes a 14" barreled 6.5 CM and there is at least one company that makes a buffer tube adapter (farrowtech), add a pistol brace and you would have a very short and light single shot. Based on reported weight of the pistol, it would weigh less than 4.5 lbs. Would have ballistics that handily beat a 6.5 grendel rifle... but I bet muzzle blast would be pretty hellacious. It is threaded though.

I might put one together if I can find the pistol for cheap...

I bought this same pistol, put a NIkon 2.5x8 BDC pistol scope on it and saw the farrowtech grip and will be buying one in the next week or so, trying to do just what you described. My goal with it is to bring along on bird hunts for coyotes, or archery hunts for elk when you might see a bear -when archery elk and rifle bear coincide.

I'd never shot a pistol/pistol scope combo before and it's hard to hold on target unless you're lying prone and have everything lying on a backpack. Once all solidly rested on a backpack lying prone, the pistol is crazy accurate with the BDC scope. Was smacking "minute of kill zone" rocks easily at 300 yards. Very impressive.

The farrowtech grip and pistol brace will be the key to making it a complete package, I think.

OP
Newtosavage
I have a rossi 45lc that fires 410 shells too. Its about 4 pounds. If I were going to pack a scoped rifle, I'd just have a lightweight bolt gun. When you get under about 5-6 pounds it takes a rifleman to be able to shoot them well.
I'm not really suggesting a rifle that weighs that much less than my current bolt actions (Tikka T3 and Howa Alpine that are 6.75 lbs scoped), but one that can be easily taken down without tools.

A single shot takedown that weighs less than 7 lbs scoped and will fit in most standard multi-day packs would be darn handy. I would own one.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
Well, the guy suggesting the high dollar Germans meets your reqs, but you’d better be willing to put out for it like a more “typical” custom.

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple TC Encore frames and several barrels. I put one together for a buddy to carry in his pack on his snowmobile lion hunting with hounds. Short 18” barrel and a folding Choate stock. It’s not light but it works great for him. You could get a 20-22” standard rifle contour barrel and easily build a rifle that comes apart with 2 screws and a hinge pin that weighs probably in the 7# range scoped. My .300 win mag setup with a 24” heavy contour barrel and the bigger thumb hole stock weighs about 9 pounds. Easy to shave weight though and not difficult at all to break down.

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
5d994edd5c2574080eedc833be417a43.jpg