Lightweight takedown single shot rifle - any market for it?

Fordguy

WKR
I hunted with H&R and NEF singleshot rifles and shotguns through most of my teenage and young adult life. With the exception of the 243, they were more than adequate for shots out to 300 yards. Most were 1.5-2 moa for accuracy once you found a load that they liked. Some were better than that. Longest shot with one while hunting was probably a little over 200.
I still see them in pawn shops from time to time, or I did before things got crazy.
If you bought any of the rifle calibers and put a survivor stock/forend (still available through aftermarket sources) you have a light, takedown rifle and stock, with the ability to store needed items in the stock and forend. Several places around to shorten and recrown the barrels if you want to shave a little weight and length, but I've never found it necessary.

rtrevith

FNG
The rifle does exist....well at least it does for me. I went through a bunch of customs and off the shelf lightweights (Kimber Ascent etc) before I settled on my K95 as my #1 deer and backpacking rifle.

It can be taken down and assembled in seconds without tools (like a shotgun), has a tip off scope that holds a perfect zero and is more accurate than I am. K95's have a reputation for 0.5moa out of the box..... no smithing and no stuffing around. Mine is chambered in 8x57R....which I like to think of as the thinking man's 30-06 (you can get them in an array of chamberings). Bare weight sans scope it is 5lb 13oz and I have slapped a rather porky 1lb plus scope on mine. There are expensive but in the long run it cost a lot less than what I've thrown at gunsmiths playing around with custom bolt guns. The cool things is you can buy multiple barrels and run a 243 and 30-06. I'm probably going to buy a moderate 6.5mm (6.5x57R or the swede) shortly in readiness for my son when he is grown enough to take a deer himself.

Here it is pictured below wrapped up for a water crossing and long hike in. It is often broken down and stuffed into my pack. I have a hard travel case that is only as long as the barrel which makes it a joy to fly with compared to standard long arm cases.

20191007_090037-X4.jpg

44%20%205-X4.jpg
Dream rifle!

How light are you trying to push it? I have a CVA scout V2 takedown in .300 blackout that is a really slick rifle. It has a 16' barrel and easily fits in a backpack.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a market for it for me! I love the idea of a single shot takedown rifle. I’ve been obsessed with my Traditions Outfitter G2 in 45-70. It’s right at 6.5 lbs and takes down into three pieces with one Allen bolt. If you get the 450 Bushmaster, that one has a tool-less takedown.
View attachment 153239

Enjoyed this thread and discussion so thought I’d revive it. I had been looking for something similar (small/light takedown rifle) and I like single shots (shorter and lighter - no need to carry around all that action just to reload bullets when my fingers can do that just fine and they’re already coming with me; and cheaper, sometimes). Plus I’m a leftie so single shots simplify that issue as well.

I’ve got a Contender rifle that I love, BUT, it takes tools to take it down and has small parts left over. Also, though some chamberings have plenty of power (45/70, 375 JDJ), they don’t have much range.

So I just ordered what I think will be the perfect solution, if I can get past my rifle brand snobbiness. I am waiting on a Traditions Outfitter G3 in 35 Whelen. It has tool free takedown, weighs 5.8 lbs, and was under $400. For an admitted cheapskate gram-weenie like myself, it sounds perfect.

Now I just need to see if I can handle 225-gr bullets at 2750 fps from a 6.5 lb gun. At least it’s got a brake for shooting from the bench. 😅

Last edited:
Enjoyed this thread and discussion so thought I’d revive it. I had been looking for something similar (small/light takedown rifle) and I like single shots (shorter and lighter - no need to carry around all that action just to reload bullets when my fingers can do that just fine and they’re already coming with me; and cheaper, sometimes). Plus I’m a leftie so single shots simplify that issue as well.

I’ve got a Contender rifle that I love, BUT, it takes tools to take it down and has small parts left over. Also, though some chamberings have plenty of power (45/70, 375 JDJ), they don’t have much range.

So I just ordered what I think will be the perfect solution, if I can get past my rifle brand snobbiness. I am waiting on a Traditions Outfitter G3 in 35 Whelen. It has tool free takedown, weighs 5.8 lbs, and was under $400. For an admitted cheapskate gram-weenie like myself, it sounds perfect.

Now I just need to see if I can handle 225-gr bullets at 2750 fps from a 6.5 lb gun. At least it’s got a brake for shooting from the bench. 😅
I wouldn’t consider myself a rifle snob, but I know a good firearm, and the traditions outfitter punches way above its class. I think you’ll be very happy. I’m thrilled with mine. It shoots very accurate and is so easy to carry, clean, and service.

I will say that it’s very lightweight, and when I shoot the big heavy hot rounds; it thumps me back!