Lightweight takedown single shot rifle - any market for it?

OP
Newtosavage
One of the reasons a break-action single shot pack rifle interests me is because of the overall length of each part when broken down.

Today I measured my Howa Alpine with the 20" barrel, and from the end of the barrel to the eyepiece on the scope, it's still 28" long. Because of the overlap between the action and scope, and stock forend adds a lot of length too. The stock is 30" long.

But with a single shot, you can take 5-10" off each half. My daughter's CVA Hunter .243 is 23" (scoped barrel) and 18" (stock) by comparison. I can almost fit that in a batwing on my pack.

Rob5589

WKR
I have been toying with the idea of a combination gun for a while now... a .222/16ga around 6lbs would be pretty ideal. Or maybe some larger rimmed cartridge with a sleeve for .22 mag and a 16ga............ now I'm off on a tangent. Sorry, guess my german heritage is taking over!
They're out there. I recall a 223/20g combo gun some years ago. Or do the TC and carry a spare 16g barrel. Keep it at 18.5" for packability, should smash grouse and such with reckless abandon 😁

OP
Newtosavage
They're out there. I recall a 223/20g combo gun some years ago. Or do the TC and carry a spare 16g barrel. Keep it at 18.5" for packability, should smash grouse and such with reckless abandon 😁
That's not a terrible idea at all.

I really need to learn more about the TC rifles. They have interested me for a long time now but I've never owned one.

The pistol grips on the TC rifles have always looked odd to me. Do they have lightweight stocks? Synthetics? Stainless?

Rob5589

WKR
That's not a terrible idea at all.

I really need to learn more about the TC rifles. They have interested me for a long time now but I've never owned one.

The pistol grips on the TC rifles have always looked odd to me. Do they have lightweight stocks? Synthetics? Stainless?
Not sure of what is currently available. My last TC was many years ago. Plenty of barrels available, blue and ss.

mt100gr.

WKR
My TC is a synthetic / SS. It came a 28" 30-06 and saw quite a few seasons filling multiple whitetail tags. I sold it's scope after not doing much with it for a few years and now it's been sitting scope-less for 2 years. I've threatened to sell it a time or two but ever since I discovered Match Grade Machine's custom barrel program, I have hung onto it.

I have come to like short, easy packing rifles. I don't currently have a reason to break it down, but packing a ready to go 32 inch rifle would be so nice for a lot of reasons.

A thread awhile back by a very cool dad got my interest level in the TC fired up again. He put one together for his daughter and I picked his brain a little. Here's his with an 20" (if memory serves) 7-08 tube. ....not that anyone here likes the 7-08. 😉Screenshot_2019-02-26-14-12-01.png

OP
Newtosavage
Dying to know what that thing weighs and how the grip feels.

Guessing you need a big flathead screwdriver to assemble it? How torque-sensitive are they?

mt100gr.

WKR

Guessing you need a big flathead screwdriver to assemble it? How torque-sensitive are they?

I honestly like the grip. It's more vertical feeling than it looks and that puts your thumb in a position to rock that hammer very comfortably.

His thread says just over 6lbs, scoped.

I'll link it here so as not to detract from the "why" of that particular rifle. Awesome kiddo making memories with dad.

Blaser K95 is super light, wicked accurate and totally unaffordable for us common folks. But I have a friend of means who has one and he has let me shoot it. Just WOW!

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
As said previously, the K series (kipplaufbüchse = single shot rifle) from both Blaser and Merkel are very popular here in Europe for people chasing Ibex, Gams, Murmeltier and other high alpine game. They are light and pack easily into a backpack. Either of these brands will easily fit every constraint you’ve mentioned thus far except the $650 price point, on the lower end they start around $3k and go all the way up to $15k and I’m not even talking about Krieghoff yet.

If it doesn’t have to be a single shot the standard Blaser R8 will do everything you want, except of course meet the $650 price tag. Most people don't know that the barrel goes on and off with two allen head screws. This video shows the rifle assembly starting at the 55 second mark.

Since someone mentioned a combo gun, personally, just about the only gun I hunt with anymore is my drilling unless the weather is just too nasty. It’s a Sauer 16g x 22mag x 9.3/72r. Weighs in at just under 8 lbs ready to hunt, with 28” barrels it’s extremely accurate, the take down requires no tools to include the swaro with roll off mounts.IMG_2415.JPGIMG_2416.JPGIMG_2417.JPG

OP
Newtosavage
As said previously, the K series (kipplaufbüchse = single shot rifle) from both Blaser and Merkel are very popular here in Europe for people chasing Ibex, Gams, Murmeltier and other high alpine game. They are light and pack easily into a backpack. Either of these brands will easily fit every constraint you’ve mentioned thus far except the $650 price point, on the lower end they start around $3k and go all the way up to $15k and I’m not even talking about Krieghoff yet.

If it doesn’t have to be a single shot the standard Blaser R8 will do everything you want, except of course meet the $650 price tag. Most people don't know that the barrel goes on and off with two allen head screws. This video shows the rifle assembly starting at the 55 second mark.

Since someone mentioned a combo gun, personally, just about the only gun I hunt with anymore is my drilling unless the weather is just too nasty. It’s a Sauer 16g x 22mag x 9.3/72r. Weighs in at just under 8 lbs ready to hunt, with 28” barrels it’s extremely accurate, the take down requires no tools to include the swaro with roll off mounts.View attachment 153283View attachment 153284View attachment 153285
Very cool rifle sir. And damn handy to boot!

Jimbo2312

FNG
I have been thinking the exact same thing. Similar scenario too, teaching someone to shoot on this .223, and if it had a better trigger system (where the sear and the trigger were not the same piece) then this would be something I'd love to take out. I love single shots, and I really like the forearm latch on this one.. there has got to be a market for this, and not at the blaser pricetag either. I love the old German stalking rifles that are break barrels too
IMG-0481.JPGIMG-0483.JPGIMG-0482.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-0483.JPG
    IMG-0483.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 16

I had a TC Pro Hunter muzzleloader and thought the ergonomics were excellent. Wish I still had it.

Tentman

FNG
Hello Guys - sorry to "bounce up" an old thread but these sorts of rifles are pretty interesting to us down here in New Zealand too. A friend has a K95 (waaay out of my budget) and we can get Bergara's and Henry's here. There is also the very occasional Encore.

I'm currently looking at an Encore, albeit with some modifications - additional barrels for them are simply not available here so I was thinking of re-profiling the existing barrel to a much lighter weight. Has anyone tried this?? Has anyone got pics of a Encore with a slim contour barrel? Thanks

Apollo117

WKR
I have been toying with the idea of a combination gun for a while now... a .222/16ga around 6lbs would be pretty ideal. Or maybe some larger rimmed cartridge with a sleeve for .22 mag and a 16ga............ now I'm off on a tangent. Sorry, guess my german heritage is taking over!
A used Savage model 24 is what you're looking for. They aren't made anymore unfortunately, but can be found used.

They come in several combinations. 223/12 gauge, 22 mag/20 gauge, 22lr/20 gauge, and those are just the ones my old man has.

Hello Guys - sorry to "bounce up" an old thread but these sorts of rifles are pretty interesting to us down here in New Zealand too. A friend has a K95 (waaay out of my budget) and we can get Bergara's and Henry's here. There is also the very occasional Encore.

I'm currently looking at an Encore, albeit with some modifications - additional barrels for them are simply not available here so I was thinking of re-profiling the existing barrel to a much lighter weight. Has anyone tried this?? Has anyone got pics of a Encore with a slim contour barrel? Thanks

Can you get Traditions firearms down there? They’re sub-6 pounds without a scope and come in a lot of calibers and they’re inexpensive. I posted mine above.

Stalker69

WKR
Once Biden and Cameltoe take our semi autos, you might find many people looking for new guns, maybe able to sell a bunch of them then. Just call them the “ new assault weapon” fits in a back pack, people will buy them.

Rich M

WKR
I'm considering getting a single shot for flying with on a couple hunts. Just a basic rifle, scope mounts to barrel, take it apart and smaller case, easier to fly w and a pad lock thru ejector will secure it. CVA is cheaper the Henry. I'd rather have H&R but those days are gone.